Ngd - Insane Kiesel Vader (adding Some Clips!)

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by slowhand84, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Narsh

Narsh Well-Known Member

It was zebrawood and was raw tone top. Great guitar through and through.

I will say, had mine looked like this one, I would probably have had a harder time letting it go.

2. slowhand84

slowhand84 Well-Known Member

Yep, this is definitely one of a few in the stable I don't think I could ever part with!

Narsh likes this.
  3. slowhand84

One last neat thing I forgot to post, normally you don't get to see the woods for your build (which always worried me) but Kiesel does this "top of the week" segment on Facebook live where the head honcho (Jeff) shows a few special tops that are then not only up for grabs but also usually discounted fairly heavily...in this case 50% of the usual upcharge for this top.

Here's the video of him showing/cutting the top that I ended up scooping up for this build:

fullonshred and PsychoCid like this.

4. Perfect Stranger

Perfect Stranger Well-Known Member

Beautiful guitar, but I'm probably too dumb to string it....

5. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

Would love a Baritone like that

6. Jaymo

Jaymo Well-Known Member

Giant, bouncing boobies.
    My favorite, too.

7. slowhand84

They do have a 27 inch scale option for a small upcharge (I think it’s $50). @Narsh had that on his Vader.

stevebway likes this.
  8. kungphugrip

kungphugrip Well-Known Member Supporting Member

well done my friend! Vader are my favorite guitars!

9. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

Oh my.....

10. slowhand84

Bumpin' this up with a sound clip, I am 10,000 years late to the party but am now working with an acceptable beginner's recording setup...so here's a little Gilmour (with plenty of paraphrasing):

For anyone without Flash installed who can't see the link, it can also be found here:

https://instaud.io/3vNc

fullonshred likes this.
  11. slowhand84

Updates now that all the little mods are completed...added a killer custom made set of buckeye burl knobs (with luminlay dots), the maker was nice enough to match them to the top so it came out really neat.

My friend (and fellow Vader addict) had an extra ebony backplate he wasn't using, so he donated it to me and now the Vader is complete.

I have to say headless has completely won me over, and I'm going to sell a couple of guitars and order a 2nd Vader in the next couple of weeks.

88e05674c88b19c7070b8a77f23a0c24.jpg

f7bcc47487eb8de2477f8cceb5f141d7.jpg

Lamf77, fullonshred, jtcnj and 3 others like this.
  12. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

Drool worthy

13. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    Stunning guitar!
    Congrats and enjoy.

14. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

It's time!
    It's time!
    It's! Vader! Time!

f6457393737d6e184bf8ad2ad263e945.gif

DonTonberry and slowhand84 like this.
  15. slowhand84

It's pretty much been Vader time consistently since I got this thing in my paws...really become my go-to electric. Once the couple of guitars I'm letting go of sell, I've got the specs cued up for #2 because I just have to have one of these to keep tuned down :).

DonTonberry and PsychoCid like this.
  16. RockYoWorld

RockYoWorld Well-Known Member

Is there anything in particular that makes you like the headless design more than the traditional, or maybe even a typical double locking system? Or is it more just that the guitar as a whole is awesome and you don't care if it's headless or not; you just want another Vader? Those guitars have piqued my fancy a bit, but most of them look ugly because of the butt indent. But, as I remember saying when you first got it, I really like the look of yours. I think the busier grain pattern pulls it together.

I always thought those Strandberg headless basses that were pretty much just a neck with JUST enough body for the pickups and bridge looked pretty cool, but I could see that design being lacking in tone for a guitar.

17. slowhand84

It's both, generally it's because the Vader as a whole is incredible but the design is a huge part of why I feel that way. Headless guitars have many advantages in my eyes, the most important of which (ergonomics) plays a huge role in playability. This guitar design-wise is just so damn comfortable that even my best playing guitar that I've played for 10 years doesn't feel quite as good to wail on as this one did fresh out of the box. It balances perfectly whether it's on your lap or you're standing, the overall smaller footprint is super convenient for tight corners (no headstock to crack into something accidentally when you're swiveling your chair from the amp over to the computer to record, etc), the upper fret access is phenomenal, and the tuning stability is really next level. This guitar stays in tune better than every single other one I own. I think I've had to touch the tuners only once in the month that I've had it, and even then it was one string that went out a teensy bit...and this is with more or less daily play. And although I'm sure the headless aspect has little to do with this, "the sustain" (Spinal Tap accent) is incredible on this guitar. It sounds killer unplugged too, punchy and super resonant.

Some people say that it takes some time to adjust to headless guitars, some folks try one and just can't bond with it because they're too used to regular guitars, but for me this is 100% the way forward and it's really reignited my desire to play more than probably any other piece of gear I've purchased aside from my amp. YMMV, but I can honestly say I doubt I'll buy any more electrics with headstocks moving forward.

Hopefully that helps!

My experience with Strandberg wasn't great (tried a few), not knocking the quality at all because they are well built but they have that "endurneck" and I really didn't enjoy the feel of it. The few I tried did sound good, but none of them sounded quite as huge as my Vader does through my rig.

I also tried a multiscale Vader, but that wasn't for me. The headless thing is different enough on it's own ;).

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    DonTonberry and RockYoWorld like this.
  18. RockYoWorld

RockYoWorld Well-Known Member

Well, there's another guitar on my GAS list then. Just the aspect of "less likely to nail the short singer to my left" on cramped stages sells it for me haha

19. slowhand84

Don't stress it, if he acts up and you miss having the headstock to crack him with you can always just flip the Vader upside down :p

RockYoWorld likes this.
  20. DonTonberry

DonTonberry Well-Known Member

Ah it's so beautiful. Those burl knobs really make it look outstanding. I agree with how comfortable headless guitars are. They are lighter, sit very balanced on the body and improved my playing posture, and are much easier to transport. I have a multiscale coming in (not a Kiesel) and am really excited about it but I really need to check out a Vader somehow