NGD Ngd - Sx Callisto Cus Ds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rsckrc91, Apr 14, 2019.

1. rsckrc91

rsckrc91 Well-Known Member

Well, sorta. I got it yesterday. New from Rondo, Sx Callisto CUS DS. My interest in the Callisto was peaked again when Kurt started getting them in a few weeks ago. However, the hit or miss aspects of the Sx brand kinda left me cautious. I've got 4 Agiles that the quality has been top notch. All the research I did on Sx was almost a coin flip. When I saw the pictures of this model, for $200, I decided to take a chance.

Btw, I'm guessing CUS means custom. What does DS mean? Didn't see anything on the website.

20190414_195600.jpg 20190414_195608.jpg 20190414_195614.jpg 20190414_195624.jpg

2. rsckrc91

3. rsckrc91

Btw, I don't know why the pictures are rotated 180 degrees. Weird.

Now the guts of the guitar.

20190413_170451.jpg 20190413_171041.jpg 20190413_172104.jpg 20190413_172118.jpg 20190413_173029.jpg 20190413_173051.jpg

DonM, dbrian66, toomanycats and 5 others like this.

4. Zipslack

Zipslack Well-Known Member

Beautiful guitar. I'm no expert on wood, but that definitely looks like a cap of "maple-colored" wood. Electronics look prime for upgrading.

How does it play and sound? How does it compare to your Agiles?

dbrian66 and rsckrc91 like this.
  5. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

Congrats!!

You are right about the coin flip. You hit the lottery in that one!! I just got one too.. came on Friday (same case too).

The top on yours is much nicer than the top on mine. Yours actually looks like the picture that was posted on the website.

On mine, the quilt is much more subtle (faded), and kind of mis-matched; way more visible on one side than the other.

Aside from the appearance, everything else on mine seems fine, and the weight feels very reasonable. It seems like a great guitar for $200, but I am very disappointed about the top on mine, and I just got finished requesting a return from Rondo.

I’ll post a few pics tomorrow. I’ve been drained of all energy by taxes today.

Congrats on a sweet looking guitar!!

stevebway, fullonshred and rsckrc91 like this.
  6. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

A bit too blingy for me but that is pretty stunning. I wish he went back to the traditional colors. Nice score nonetheless.

I think the DS stood for Desert Sunburst or Desert Sand or some other Rondospeak last go round.

7. rsckrc91

Thoughts - the guitar is beautiful. I really like the Les Paul Custom vibe about it (gold hardware, block inlays). I wish they could've had some kind of Gibsonish diamond on the headstock. Oh well. The body appears to be a 1 piece mahogany body. I couldn't see any seams on the back. That really surprised me. I fully expected at least a 3 piece body. Even my Agiles are 3 piece bodies. It has a full maple cap (or at least a lighter colored wood). I'm sure the quilt top is a veneer.

No dings, cracks (finish or anything deeper), scratches or any visible imperfections.

Electronics - pickups appear to be some off-brand, ceramic pickups. Probably will get replaced later. Pots are the really small diameter type. Switch looks to be pretty good. Everything might get gutted later. No shielding in the cavities.

Neck - this is where it gets concerning. I tried to do a basic setup on it and keep getting fret buzz from the 7th fret to around the 12th fret. I jack the bridge up to eliminate it and now the string height is too high. Try to loosen the truss rod and get got really tight, like it was at the very end. Like if I kept going, it would break or something. So I'm going to take it to my guitar tech and see if he can do something with it. Maybe the frets need leveling. I don't know. Hopefully, I can get it resolved pretty quickly and inexpensively. I'd hate to ship it back because of a warped neck.

dbrian66, stevebway and nomadh like this.
  8. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

That looks great. I notice it also has the type of tuners that could be upgraded with the same ones used on Agiles or a Kluson style could also be used without any of the original screw holes showing. All the older SX LPs I have use the tuners where the mounting screw is on the diagonal...

9. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Maybe you're turning the truss rod the wrong way? Shouldn't it get looser for more relief for less buzz. I had an sg with a backbow so bad I had to have the truss loose enough to rattle until it settles back after a few weeks with a weight on the miidle of the neck

10. rsckrc91

Zipslack- Thanks! It is nice looking. The cap is a lighter colored wood. Whether it's maple or not, who knows. I would like to think that it is. It sounds pretty good. It could sound a lot better with better pickups (obviously).

Buddy - Sorry the top on yours was disappointing. Like I said earlier, it's a coin flip. Thankfully, Kurt has a good return policy. You might be right, mine could be the one pictured on the website! Looking forward to the pictures of yours.

Idiotsdelight - Desert Sunburst is as good a guess as anything. Although, I would classify this as a Vintage or Tobacco Sunburst. But that's me.

Tobijohn - The tuners are pretty cheap. It would be nice to replace them with something better and still use the original holes.

dbrian66 and fullonshred like this.
  11. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

Also of note following @nomadh ...I'm told the trick to truss rods is not to turn them too fast. Go 1/4 turn at a time and then give the neck a day to adjust before coming at it again.

But also, rest the guitars butt on the floor, place your head near the headstock, and look down the neck -- what you're looking for is to determine if the edges of the neck make a straight line all the way down (or just very slightly bowed for relief). This may give you a clue as to whether it's the neck or the frets that need attention.

I sure hope it's the frets. That guitar is so pretty, if you played it at a gig I bet you'd get someone coming up to you after asking questions about it or complementing it.

dbrian66, nomadh and rsckrc91 like this.
  12. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

There are Wilkinsons available that are compatible on eBay and Reverb in both the Grover style like the stockers and the Kluson style for around $20 a set...

13. rsckrc91

Nomadh - Well, I've rotated it to the left until it basically stopped. Now, it was only a quarter / half turn. When it stopped, I didn't want to muscle it because it could be fully loosened. I could break it then I'm screwed. However, I don't have the proper straight edges to do a full setup. A full straight edge for on top of the frets, a notched straight edge to check neck straightness, and the funny looking one to check for high frets. I probably should get me those (along with feeler gauges, etc.) to really do it right.

dbrian66 and nomadh like this.
  14. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

Looks great. Glad to see/read about the full cap. The STD+DS Callisto seem to all have full cap as well. While light as heck, weight wise, I like the sound I'm getting with that cap and mahogany body. And sound is very lively and rings long and loud unplugged. Congratulations. Even if it needs a fret level, it would be worth paying for (or buying the tools and doing oneself) IMO, to end up with a good sounding and playing light weight LP style. Especially with a top you love the look of.

15. Partscaster

Rondo sells a gold hardware set in "accessories" for 49$ plus shipping.. it comes with the gold Grover 18-1 set. If that makes fiscal sense.

16. Partscaster

I found my notched straight edge didnt fit. Scale is slightly shorter as if rounded down to closest common metric reading.
    IE, made to a 625mm scale vs true 628.??mm or whatever is metric equivelent to proper 24.75" scale.

17. rsckrc91

Partscaster - Thanks. It does seem to be lighter weight than my AL-3100. However, I'm not sure what the body thickness on the Callisto is. On the website, it says it's 1 13/16" thick on the edge. If it's not as thick as the AL, I'm fine with it. I'll probably check tomorrow to see if the truss rod is working properly. I just don't have the tools to really see if it's working.

18. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

Any straight edge that spans 3 frets at a time can tell you if there is a fret problem. Even a credit card can be useful.

If you put the straight edge across 3 frets and it sits flush, those 3 frets are even. If you span 3 frets, and the straight edge rocks back and forth a little, there’s a fret that needs attention.

Sometimes some masking tape (to protect the fingerboard from scratches and your pickup magnets from metal filings), sandpaper and steel wool are all you need to level a fret if it’s not too bad. A rubber mallet could be helpful if the fret is popping out of its seat a little.

Remember to try to crown the top of the fret if you sand it so it’s not too flat.

Just some ideas if you feel like playing around with it.

I had one that I was afraid it was the neck, but it turned out to be a proud fret. Once the fret was addressed she played well.

Good luck with it!! I hope it turns out that the neck is fine.

19. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

By left you mean counter clockwise looking from the top? That sounds correct to loosen but some I hear ar opposite that. Any one confirm?

Remember your string is a straight edge. Fret a string at 1st fret and at the 12th. Or 20th depending on what you are testing for. But while holding the 12th you can look down 5he neck and see high frets. If the 8th seems high hold down at 1 and 9 check. Or 1 and 10. See if you can narrow it doen

PsychoCid likes this.
  20. jamdogg

jamdogg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Congrats. Nice top