NGD Ngd - Sx Callisto Cus Ds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rsckrc91, Apr 14, 2019.

1. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

I think Rondo may also get deals on manufacturing leftovers. So if he buys a dozen or two LPs, and only maybe 10% of them have maple caps, it's cause that's what was available from the manufacturers run-off.

2. rsckrc91

rsckrc91 Well-Known Member

Partscaster - Thanks! I really would like to learn more about setups, small repairs, etc. I know I don't want to build a guitar from scratch or do it as a business, but for my own personal collection. It would be nice to do mods / upgrades without having to take it anywhere (and be done correctly). I do watch Dave's World of Fun Stuff YouTube channel quite a bit. Not only is he very entertaining, it's really informative too. I think I can learn it pretty quickly. It's just a matter of someone teaching me the right way to do it. The cost of the tools would be a problem and space in the house. Right now I use a small, padded table and a bag of tools for string changes and basic setups.

There was a school close to my house (I don't know if they're still there or not) that you actually build your own guitar from scratch, along with doing repairs and setups. That was very expensive and too involved for me.

BrianSkeezer likes this.
  3. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

I am the same way. Dont need to build from scratch. I take it slow. First learn thoroughly about set up and measurements for neck relief, nut, action, intonation. Learn the soldering of electronics. Then fret work and leveling. Refretting I've never done, but am feeling better about it after watching youtubes. Its all available to learn from youtubes, of course. What a resource.
    The tools are an expense, but then you become your own tech. I havent had to bring a guitar to anyone in a long time. And its a great hobby. I cant play more than a few hours a day as my wrists will get tendonitus symptoms. Working on guitars becomes another guitar enjoyment. Guitars, being about the coolest things after braziers.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019

4. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

Are they still chalky?

I still haven't touched the fretboard of mine. It looks dusted with powder. I was tempted to use some Fiebing's black dye.

5. jamdogg

jamdogg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

not chalky - it just looks like what it is. my bigger concern is how the frets sit in them. I have a couple proud frets that will need a talkin' to. At least it shouldn't need to be oiled.

6. Partscaster

mine do look like a rosewood alternative wood. my fingers are not blackened after playing. It feels goods. I hope it lasts. I'll keep mine mineral oiled well.

Ill be trying to glue all mine down. Looks easy with one of Stewmac's glues and applicator nozzles. Seems that one should put down paste wax on fretboard prior, so excess glue wipes off easy without getting on FB. 2 of my Callistos play well. One of those two has some light buzz on 6th string above 9th fret. It has little neck relief so that might improve there. Or by raising action on bass side which is at 4/64ths now. The third needed a level as 2nd fret was too low. I'll glue all their frets, soon.
    I love playing them. Not done with electronics swaps yet.

7. jamdogg

It’s not real wood. So I’m not sure how frets/oil will react to it - if any different at all. Never been down this road.

8. Partscaster

you think its plastic? It looks like wood to me. I have oiled one already.
    Seemed to suck it up fine.

Oiling one (dry fret) right now, and I can see the grain striations absorb the oil differently than the "wood" between the striations. And the entire fret is drying up the oil on its surface in the matter of 2 minutes. I'm still going with "wood".
    with a magnifying glass I can see pores, too. Especially after the oiling. IMO, its a fine grained wood with stripe grain pattern.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  9. Partscaster

FWIW, I was reading up on this recently as a bridge had fallen off and I tried to reposition it, not being sure which way it was oriented. I read in several places that Nashville and Abr bridges traditionally have their screws facing different directions. I had no idea. ABR screw heads to the neck side, Nashville to the tail side. But that it shouldnt really matter unless string is interfered with on route to the stop tail.

10. idiotsdelight

I meant out of the box. They came so chalky dry brand new.

Bridges can go whichever way you prefer. There is no "right/wrong". Just preferred. As long as it intonates.

Partscaster likes this.
  11. jamdogg

Look at the pic of OPs fretboard. Also note the rondo site does not specify fretboard for CUS DS but SX site lists engineered rosewood.

Partscaster likes this.
  12. stormin1155

stormin1155 Well-Known Member

Wow! She's quite the looker!

13. Partscaster

Good search. Thank you.
    "Engineered Rosewood or Rosewood".
    Wonder what the engineered is, dust and glue?
    Mine, of the EF series, has grain and pores, and oil wicks in like a natural wood.
    I'm pretty sure its natural wood on my 3. ( maybe not, see below)

Did find this on Fretwire site:

"What is Engineered Rosewood?
    Guitar kits on The Fret Wire now sell fretboards with engineered rosewood fretboards. Engineered rosewood is a composite of organic material that has been engineered to have the look, feel and characteristics of natural rosewood. It is workable with traditional tools, and accepts the same oils and other treatment materials that rosewood does. In our testing we found it to perform very well, in addition to being slightly more durable that natural rosewood."
    https://thefretwire.com/pages/what-is-engineered-rosewood

and this from our forum:
    "Models instead will likely be made with "engineered rosewood' which is sort of like plywood, and be constructed from pine and other non-rosewood materials." - Kurt's words.

https://www.aguitarforum.com/thread...ath-bell-for-cheap-er-rosewood-guitars.94410/

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    jamdogg likes this.
  14. jamdogg

I'm getting cold feet on this project LOL. Who wants it?

15. Partscaster

I just played two of mine for an hour. Just finished set-up and renos on one.
    One with Pearly gates pups, no other changes.
    The other with new pots, wire, caps, brass saddles..and custom shop Pearly Gates set.

They both sound so much better than I was getting through my agile AL's with all the mods and same pups.
    I am hearing livelier sound with more midrange and less highs.

I think this "whatever" wood combo is really good to my ears. And it comes in the luxury of less than 8 lbs, and great tops.

I'ld say, slap some great pups in and hear the tone before making your mind up. IMO.
    Even with some frets buzzing...hear the sound with good pups. It might convince you its worth it, or not.
    I like bluesier tones.

rsckrc91 likes this.
  16. bluesking55

bluesking55 Well-Known Member

Did anyone say wha DS means? I looked alil ty

17. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

18. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I think you said your impression of sx quality was 50/50? That felt a little unfair to me but as a truly finished guitar maybe it's more than fair. I buy sx because they are pretty and have features I like at a big discount. But you are right. I dont buy thinking I'm taking them onstage tomorrow. Agile I can and did literally take it onstage that weekend I got it. Probably a better bet than buying a gibson mail order.
    I've been very very lucky with frets on my sx. Plus I run action a bit higher for blues. But all my SX' have had something to fix and many still have an issue. The easiest was my callisto jr. The nut was too high. I ground it down and it's great now. But you need to know to do that. Then be able to do that. Same for my sx Ltd strat. And beyond that it is crazy bright so not my fav strat. But a hell of a beautiful reggae strat and plays very well. My ash tele actually has the nut too far from the 1st fret a hair so until I fix that it's only for capo songs, slide and power chords. Also way back I bought a 5 st bass. It had a weird vibration, maybe truss rod so I sold it off. In fact when beginners say they want just a good guitar I tell them epi or squier. Tons available local used and much better chances it's at least right enough. SX really is a kit/hobbiest guitar if being honest

rsckrc91 and tobijohn like this.
  19. idiotsdelight

I mentioned previously that I recall reading on the Rondo site it stood for Desert Sand or Desert Sunburst? Sounds right?

I was watching this late last night & thought of these SX CUS's. Take note of the split inlays.

*edit- I just noticed the OP's doesn't have the split inlays now. My earlier SX CUS does. Kurt must not have thought that was worth doing or had that option with these newer looking ones.

bluesking55 likes this.
  20. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

FWIW, I've got a black Custom from about four years ago and it has the split inlays (it also has a right-handed nut and needs a fret level bad). Also a couple with the old pointy horn (one of them with the old headstock) and they both have the split inlays too...

idiotsdelight likes this.