NGD Ngd - Sx Callisto Cus Ds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rsckrc91, Apr 14, 2019.

1. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

For any lefties following this thread, I'm also waiting to hear back from Kurt regarding that AL-31xx double cutaway project (emailed the renderings and specs last week but he said he was out of the office until this coming week and would look at them upon his return) and will ask him if there are any plans for some let handed versions of these current SX models...

2. tobijohn

Off topic but Phil X is a hoot, I never get tired of watching his stuff...

idiotsdelight and PsychoCid like this.
  3. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

Did the old CUS models have a full "maple" cap?

None of the SX descriptions on their site mention a full cap for any of their LP style guitars.

I feel like this could have been a rare event of these full capped builds dropping into Rondo world. I do see that the EF (STD+DS) is listed by SX with mahogany neck, and not maple as Rondo states. Makes sense looking at it.

As I've already remarked, the hog wood w/cap combo in these new ones is supporting very warm full sounding tone. Both of the two I have set up now are the best sounding LPs I've played. But, I've mostly been a strat guy.

4. tobijohn

I replaced the stock pickups almost immediately with GVH-1s but it was so long ago, I can't remember. I'll try to find some time this weekend to lift a pickup and see. I think this was the original product listing:

https://www.rondomusic.com/callistocusbkleft.html

Partscaster likes this.
  5. jamdogg

jamdogg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I will give you a sweet deal on mine.

6. Partscaster

message sent

7. rsckrc91

rsckrc91 Well-Known Member

Got an email from Kurt this morning:

"The factory finally got back to me and confirmed this is a maple cap !"

So there you have it. Confirmation that it is a full maple cap on these. Not some mystery wood, but maple. Pretty sweet.

Too bad I won't be able to enjoy it.

LongBlackTie, nomadh and PsychoCid like this.
  8. uglyvw

uglyvw Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure my old gg1 did not have a maple cap. It was mahogany body and neck, very thick and dense sounding guitar, not bright at all, but in a good way. I loved the neck profile and feel of it, but dang that thing was heavy and lower bout width was just enough wider that made it not fit into a standard lp case.

PsychoCid likes this.
  9. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

I really do like the maple cap on mahogany or basswood guitars. I've had pure hog and pure basswood and, for me, I just like to have a little more "cut."

But hey a guitar is a guitar. You can make it out of brick and it will still sound like a guitar. So the tone wood nay-sayers will nay-say. :D

10. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I thought whoever tested it said the top cap wood seemed very soft. Was able to push a pin into it easy? Seemed to be more like pine or basswood or paulwina/empress. Maybe what china calls maple but..... also these guitars are light. Got to be saving the weight somewhere. There are lots of hard pale looking woods but this one seems very not maple.

tobijohn likes this.
  11. Partscaster

That was me with a tack. It pushed into the cap layer quite a bit easier than I would have thought maple would. I did try to compare against an old Squier maple neck. The squier 85' maple felt much firmer to the tack push. But the grain direction may not have been equivalent.
    And I agree, these are too lightweight to be a traditional mahogany and maple cap species' being used. We've all heard of the substitute asian species used for "mahogany". Likely same approach is used for "maple". Use something cheaper, perhaps more locally sourced that has similar enough characteristics. Or even better characteristics.

I consider this batch an unusual blessing. Sounds awesome to me. I get no shrill highs. Nice rounded off highs with full mid and lows under it. And at sub 8lbs.
    If Kurt comes up with more Callisto's with the same "maple" caps, in tops I like, I'll buy even another.
    2 for me, one for my brother, right now.

nomadh likes this.
  12. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

I've no idea what goes into these, but I do see many Chibson type LPs that have basswood bodies with alder caps.

13. MicahC

MicahC Well-Known Member

Rondo still have these in stock? I'm getting GASS for a cheap LP.

14. Partscaster

FWIW, The STD+ (169$) , and the CUS ( 189-199$)have been found to have the "maple" cap.
    Havent seen a review about the regular STD at 149$.

The STD+DS had one showing in stock this morning. But they used to be at zero.
    Makes me think it could be a returned item. It could need fret level work.
    Same for the CUS+DS quilted ones, I think. Sold out, then one returned.

The STD+ CS, VS, and TWR ones may not have been picked through, ..less chance of getting a returned item, IMO.

I got 3, one for my brother. Fret level needed on one.
    Necks arent as sleak feeling as AL 3xxx series are in terms of contour and fret work.
    I do like the necks on these, but its the tone that made me want to grab a few.
    I dont even need my 2018 Tributes if the necks on these Callisto's prove to be stable. Bluesy tone with quality pup swap is that good, IMO.

15. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I took delivery on this STD+TWR yesterday. I'm really happy with it right out of the box. The red wasn't my first choice, it was just my first choice among the STD+ models remaining in stock when I placed my order (CS, VS, and TWR). Man, I wish I had jumped on one of the DS finished models while they were available.
    IMG_2348.JPG

I got really excited when the box was delivered to my office. It had a label on it that said "Agile AL-3010SE Silverburst 627" and I had to think "Dayum, maybe Kurt sent me a nice $389 baritone by mistake!" I didn't want to open it until I smuggled it into the house, so I was pretty excited by the prospect for a few hours.

Anyway, the guitar looks really great, and has a real nice top for a $169 guitar. I plan to Scotch Bright most of the cheap poly off of it in short order after I play it for a while. I think the tiger stripe will take on some depth with some of the poly rubbed off of it.

I love the weight, probably 8 or less pounds. Great resonance, volume, and sustain, even unplugged. I love the feel of the neck, the fretwork, and the nut. The overall setup is outstanding on this one - I got a really good playing one. I am really surprised.

The bridge and tailpiece seem to be good quality. The tuners are probably the weakest element. They are OK enough, but I'm sure I'll be replacing them with some import tulips (green kluson knock-offs) I have laying around.

After I adjusted the pickups, I was able to dial in three or four really good tones, no problem. I might leave 'em in for now, since I like them just fine.

I haven't inspected any of the cavities yet.

Save for my Epi Les Paul Junior and a Callisto Jr. that I traded off some years ago, I've never owned a Les Paul type guitar from among the dozens and dozens of guitars I've owned during my lifetime. I really never liked the weight and the way they lay on my gut. I'm a more of a Tele man. But two things spurred me to buy this guitar: 1) rskrc91's great reviews and pics, especially his description of the light weight and resonance of the guitar; and 2) the looming tariffs. Call me crazy, but I worry that the flood of cheap, quality Asian instruments may soon come to an end. And I really wanted a Les Paul type instrument in my stable before the party is over. I'm glad I grabbed this one.

16. rsckrc91

rsckrc91 Well-Known Member

Happy NGD, Manodano! Looks like you got a keeper! When you take the pups out to inspect the cavities, you'll probably notice that it has a full, maple cap.

I really wanted to keep mine. I really did. The frets were so bad that I just couldn't (plus I don't have knowledge, equipment to fix it).
    Scott

Manodano likes this.
  17. Partscaster

Have you been able to see if there is a maple cap on that.
    Thanks.

18. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'll report on it as soon as I start taking it apart, but I'm in the middle of an amp build right now and its going real slow, so it'll be a week or so still. I'm betting I'll find the maple cap, but we'll see.

Partscaster likes this.
  19. jwguitar

jwguitar Well-Known Member

That's actually a good price for those tuners. To be honest those grover 18:1 tuners are the best that I have used.

Partscaster likes this.
  20. Partscaster

Wondering if you've seen the pup cavities yet.
    Thanks