Nmd - A New Honda In The Family

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by Poodlesrule, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

Here it is:
    (stock photo)

7fb4a9ac3dd09de7949c361c2f7ca9dd.png

The old 2007 Toro mower my BIL gave me when he settled in with his mistress was just a pain (no, not BIL, er... well, actually...)

We had a tax-free weekend, so went out and bought my first new mower ever. Local dealer, not much more than big box.

This sucker has a few fancy bits, price on the high side, but it can mow/mulch grass and leaves, which I could leave in place in a few areas, a time-saver, and good for the soil as well.

Jaymo, DonM, MattS and 4 others like this.
  2. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member

Use ethanol free gas and you'll never have trouble cranking it .

manco53, Lefty Leo and Mickey like this.
  3. Poodlesrule

Not available in my state - I think there are two odd retailers, both near water recreation.
    I assume legislators have landscape service?

I just will take better care of my fuel and keep track of how long it sits. My prior Honda-powered hand-me-down had very convenient real fuel shut off and bowl drain plug, and so does this one.

jtcnj likes this.

4. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

HNMD!

If you cut your own grass, it is really refreshing to have the mower start easy and you are not sucking down exhaust fumes from a worn-out mower!

5. Poodlesrule

Thanks.
    This one (being almost 40% better!) has bigger engine, capable of handling tall, wet grass, double blade, and serious traction, which is going to help in a couple of areas.

LessPawl likes this.
  6. LessPawl

LessPawl Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Gold Supporting Member

Ha, Poodles, we just bought a new Honda Mower too. Our 11 year old Craftsman sh^& the bed and it was time. I read a bunch of reviews and it came down to either Toro or Honda. In the end, the Honda won out. So far, it seems like a nice mower. Of course, my wife will be the one using it for a while. LOL

I miss having my lawn service. A guy named Omar and two employees would pull up at 10 AM and using their big pro level stuff, be on their way by about 10:12 AM, sometimes even quicker. Then he decided he was going to raise his prices. I tried to negotiate with him, but he was firm. We started doing our own mowing ever since. Whenever Omar drives by, he gives me a snarky smile, lol. I should have just paid the extra dough, but now it's a matter of who can be more stubborn? In the end, I can, and i lose. :)

Honda for life!!!!!

manco53 and fullonshred like this.
  7. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

This Omar?

LessPawl and AxeGlove like this.
  8. RockYoWorld

RockYoWorld Well-Known Member

Happy new mower day!

I'm surprised the rechargeable battery starter motor (gas engine) mowers haven't taken off in the states. They're popular in Europe. Push a button and the engine starts itself. Battery lasts 100-200 starts. Pretty much an entire cutting season right there.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    tonray likes this.
  9. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    Nice!
    I have not been convinced by the battery ones and would never drag a cord around.

My 15 yr old Toro B&S power, runs like new and looks good for its age.
    Keep the oil clean, gas fresh, scrape the deck fairly clean, blade sharp, air filter and spark plug as needed.

Grind a stiff putty knife into a domed or rounded shape works great to clean deck.
    No rust out.

Usually 1 or 2 pulls.
    Every time, even after winter layover.

10. RockYoWorld

I have a 72V nominal battery powered mower. Works well, but not quite as powerful as a gas model even close to the same price. Takes care of my yard easily, though, and the same batteries go into my other yard tools (like string trimmer, hedge trimmer, and chainsaw), and those tools really kick butt. I don't have to ever worry about winterizing these guys or running out of gas/old gas, either. But that was never a concern for me with lawn mowers, as you can plan that out easily. What I get annoyed with is "winterizing" my gas snow thrower. That season is much more sporadic. You never know when you're gonna get 10" of snow in April... But I have yet to see/try a good battery snow thrower for anything more than a couple inches.

But yeah, if you treat a B&S engine somewhat decently, it should treat you well. I don't have much experience with Honda's, so I can't comment on that :p

11. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

my dad had an old Honda mower from the late 80s. The deck was made of aluminum and it literally started falling apart, but the engine was still strong as ever, so he somehow found a used deck and it still runs great and mows so nice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RockYoWorld likes this.
  12. honyock

Boats shouldn't run on E10 if carbureted. The fumes from the lower vapor pressure of gasahol/E10 in an enclosed space aren't a good thing...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tonray and Mickey like this.
  13. Poodlesrule

I wished they would stop that whaling business...
    I gave it some thought, of course, but I am known to let the grass grow quite tall at times, and an electric may just bog down.
    Plus I have oak leaves, which I mow down a bit to reduce bulk and mower-bag for the most part. That's a strain on the engine.

14. RockYoWorld

Here, I was referring to electric start on a gas mower. Just because people were talking about starting issues. I was moreso just commenting that I'm surprised that they haven't taken off in the U.S. It's still a gas engine, just easy to start like a car.

The battery mowers are picking up steam, though. Quite a few people in my neighborhood, including me, have one. Like I said, though, it's not quite as powerful as a gas one. Just more convenient and a whole lot quieter. Pretty pricey compared to a good gas mower, though.

15. honyock

my grandma still uses an old GE Elec-Trak lawn mower (92yo grandpa can't see well enough anymore unfortunately). They have no issue with any level of lawn work.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elec-Trak

16. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

Double check whether premium gas in your area has ethanol. Up our way, most does not, save for the ultra high octane 94.

And fuel stabilizer is your friend.

17. LessPawl

One of the Toro's I considered had the electric start with the rechargeable battery. When i was reading the reviews, the two main complaints were about the starter and the "PLASTIC" carb going south. I dunno if the complaints are legit or not, so I just went with a Honda.

RockYoWorld likes this.
  18. LessPawl

I've used Sea-Foam stabilizer forever. My snowblower is coming up on 24 years of use. That sucker starts on the first pull every darn year. I attribute that to the Sea Foam. It's a big ole Ariens that has moved tons and tons of snow over the years. My power generator manufacturer recommends Sta-Bil, so I use that stuff in it. It too starts all the time, no problemo.

RockYoWorld and jtcnj like this.
  19. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I'm frustrated because the damned bump feed on my cheapo string trimmer doesn't work.. Hmm.. If I had a place to store a mower i would be tempted ..but I'll make due for now.

I remember as a kid we had this crank start mower.. You would lift this piece from the engine and crank it up and then press a button to start. What a chore getting thay thing started but Dad would never buy a new one. After his passing I convinced Mom she needed a Craftsman

Lasted a long time and started a whole lot easier than that model T Dad used

20. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm frustrated because the landscaping service comes by in the early afternoon to cut the grass and trim the hedges which makes it just about impossible for me to get a nap in...