NGD (nugd) 2016 Honeyburst Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute T

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by voodoorat, Sep 11, 2018.

1. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

So in one of the eBay sales a buddy of mine was looking at Les Pauls to pick up during one of the 15%/$100 coupon events. He's always real standoffish when it comes to making moves though and usually waits too long and blows it so I told him that if he didn't love the guitar I would buy it from him for what he paid for it to kind of hedge his bet. Anyway, he did buy it and liked it a lot but he kind of had his heart set on getting a goldtop, preferably a 2017 Tribute T because I have one in honeyburst and he likes it a lot. He wasn't a huge fan of the P90s on the 2016. I, on the other hand, only have one P90 guitar and while I like it I don't love it; It's an Agile AD-2300 Wide and I prefer non-wide necks (actually, the perfect size for me is the Gibson slim taper profile--like Goldilocks: Not too thick, not too thin), also while I like the pickups on that one okay I don't love them, but a lot of people have told me that the Agile P90s are mediocre. I like my other Tribute a lot, so I was on board.

So a couple of days ago exactly the guitar he was looking for popped up on the local Facebook market. He's really lazy so he didn't want to drive to meet up with the guy so I told him I'd do all the work, buy it for him and clean it up and then we could swap. I went and met that guy yesterday and got the goldtop, it actually felt really good to play once I did a little cleanup and setup on it, was kind of sorry to see it go but then again I wanted my guitar not his. So I met up with my buddy today and we did the swap, the gold top was more so he paid me the difference. I have to sell the AD-2300 to fund (in part) this one but I took out a loan against the household account in the meanwhile.

Onto the guitar: My buddy plays mostly with 009 gauge strings so I put a set on his for him, and once I got mine I put a set of them on it too. I don't think they're going to stay though--while they are bendy they're maybe a little bit *too* bendy. The differences between this guitar and the 2017 aside from the P90s are pretty much cosmetic. I think the weight relief is different (modern in the 2016 vs. 9 hole in the 2017), it came with a poker chip (ooooh, ahhhh), and a couple of cosmetic strikes against it by comparison: The back, back of the neck/headstock, and the sides are all black instead of natural, and the 2017 has a slick PRS-style plain unstained maple top "binding" but this one is just black to the edge of the top finish. It feels like it might be slightly lighter, but neither is anywhere near as heavy as my Agile AL-3010SE was. I had a little trouble getting the P90 heights adjusted just how I wanted them, I didn't look under them to see what the mechanism is that pushes them up, but the high strings side doesn't want to go as high as I wanted it to go on the bridge, so it took a little adjusting to get it to where it was a nice single coil-ish chiming sound clean and not icepic-y. Eventually I got it though where both pickups are usable for the whole tone/volume range and the noise-canceling middle position sounds good. I like P90s, they are like the bastard child of Fender-style single coils and humbuckers (although I know they predate them): Kind of the tonal character of a single coil but with bigger balls when you crank it.

Most everything else is the same: The same kluson-style tuners, the same bridge/tail and plastics, and the neck is the same (except the back) as far as I can tell with the blackish, at least he shape of it is the same and the fingerboard is the same.

I much prefer the natural finish back and neck on the 2017 but the top looks great on this one. I like the understated plain top look of both of them. I can't tell how many pieces the body is because of the dark color, it just says "multi" on the specs page.

Bonus, it came with a Gibson HSC. The 2017 came with a bag.

I'm pleased with it, although part of me does wish it was a different finish just so it was more different from the other one (my wife mocked me a good bit over buying two of the "same" guitar--oh well). That said, I don't actually like the other available finishes as much as this one (satin black and satin vintage sunburst) so I guess I don't wish it was another finish after all.

Proof of acquisition follows:

faed03d8e5a3e429ed196209f92277f5.jpg

148fda7d6791591ad6f109dc0d1f9703.jpg

0e4ecc820c862b3d3dbb645e34ef9f1a.jpg

99caf3394ad3147821e686c8a185aefb.jpg

e87cd5d63fd561f248dfc61e15dd60c8.jpg

34a1de5c3de462ea4046cc0d2dc72bf5.jpg

2. voodoorat

Honeybump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

viccortes285 likes this.
  3. viccortes285

viccortes285 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on knowing what you like and getting her. She will bring you years of joy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

voodoorat likes this.

4. viccortes285

viccortes285 Well-Known Member

She looks sweet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

voodoorat likes this.
  5. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

That's a beauty...love the grain on that top.

voodoorat likes this.
  6. MattS

MattS Well-Known Member

Gorgeous! Congratulations!

Matt

voodoorat likes this.
  7. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I also have a pair of honey twins from the same companies. Except mine are flamey.
    Cant find my pic with the agile but here is a pic of 2 other gibson twins. I loved them both but I had to return one. I kept the gloss one to the right but I almost ended up with triplets
    7e900356ad2c4e3d4c58552d251c5f43._.jpg

8. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

One of the few moves Gibson has made I don't think was insane. They have an austere look , are light in weight and have that sound so faithfully copied by Korea.

voodoorat likes this.
  9. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Well-Known Member

I had one of those with regular humbuckers....best playing Gibson I ever owned. HNGD!

voodoorat likes this.
  10. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    Congrats and Enjoy!
    I love that top!
    That guitar is 1 pick guard away from perfect.

voodoorat likes this.
  11. voodoorat

but what if it's ugly under there?!

12. mighty_duck

mighty_duck Well-Known Member

Only one way to find out.
    Send it to me, and I'll tell you how it looks. No other way that I can think of. ;)

The top on it is one of the nicest I've seen on these plaintop tributes. Congrats on a real beauty!

voodoorat likes this.
  13. JeffBeck

JeffBeck Baldy McBaldhead Staff Member

So sweet! You're not helping to curb my desire for a plain top at all.

voodoorat likes this.
  14. pirate19

pirate19 Well-Known Member

That's a hell of a good looking guitar--I'd like to find a p90 60s version to go with my hum 50s...
    b758741307d450cfa7ed07dceb77c0d7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Partscaster and voodoorat like this.
  15. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

I read good comments about gibson p90s.