Oh, Dear (sad Evh Pic Inside)

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by Rollin Hand, Sep 18, 2019.

1. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Tommy Shaw and James Young from Styx have aged pretty well. So have Robin Zander and Darryl Hall...

Jaymo, Gergo and dbrian66 like this.
  2. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

A metal guitar pick? Really? Was this an article by The Onion? Like @Mickey said, couldn't have been the decades of smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol. o_O

bc rich, DonM, Jaymo and 3 others like this.
  3. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

When you're in that situation it's natural to want to think of something to lay blame. Either scenario puts the blame on him though.

For someone undergoing treatment he looks good in that moto pic. This TMZ news really isnt new.

4. Gergo

Gergo Well-Known Member

Oh! It's the picks! Cannot possibly have to do with being a chain smoker for years and years!
    Or, the extremely heavy drinking and drug use for years and years and years!

5. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Well-Known Member

Left The Beatles' home for some Krispy Kremes...
    The part that's worrying me is that I've always done exactly the same with my plastic picks and now I think particles have got into my saliva, got peed out and ended up as tons of plastic in the world's oceans.

Sorry.

jimytheassassin, jtcnj and RiverDog like this.
  6. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Damn you !

Tsukiyomi likes this.
  7. tonray

...and here he is in 2017....isn't that an E-Cig in his hand ?

b40707d763e58f3eeaa5c84a414eff57._.jpg

Tsukiyomi likes this.
  8. tonray

In an interview with Billboard in 2015, Eddie spoke about his health.

"I used metal picks - they're brass and copper - which I always held in my mouth, in the exact place where I got the tongue cancer," he said. "Plus, I basically live in a recording studio that's filled with electromagnetic energy. So that's one theory. I mean, I was smoking and doing a lot of drugs and a lot of everything. But at the same time, my lungs are totally clear. This is just my own theory, but the doctors say it's possible."

Tsukiyomi likes this.
  9. Jaymo

Jaymo Well-Known Member

Smoking is the number one cause of all the oral cancers.
    Heavy alcohol consumption is no slouch in the cancer department, either.

guitaro, Tsukiyomi and tonray like this.
  10. guitaro

guitaro Well-Known Member Supporting Member

There is so much inaccuracy in this it's almost hard to believe. His tongue cancer was almost certainly caused by smoking and had nothing to do with holding a metal pick in his mouth. He was cured of that cancer with surgery which is why he survived it. The "cancer cells" from his tongue cancer can't "migrate down his throat" 20 years later. And you can't cure invasive cancer by scraping it, however the same risk factors that put him at risk for the tongue cancer in the first place puts him at risk for other head and malignancies. Often referred to as a "field defect", all the cells in his mouth, throat, larynx, etc can have pre-malignant changes.

It sounds like what he goes to Germany for is treatment of carcinoma in situ of the larynx which can be treated by scraping/stripping, laser, etc. You just have to treat the top cells because it's not invasive. Treatment can be repeated as needed unless it becomes invasive, at which point you need definitive treatment with either surgery or radiation along with chemo for more advanced stage.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Tsukiyomi and tonray like this.
  11. DonM

DonM Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member

It’s more likely due to cradling the ever present cigarette in his mouth.

wanker, Tsukiyomi and tonray like this.
  12. DonM

DonM Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member

...”my lungs are totally clear.”

I don’t believe that.

Tsukiyomi and tonray like this.
  13. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

Chocol8 and Tsukiyomi like this.
  14. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

That is freaking hilarious! But I could totally spend an entire concert right next to most celebrities, even the ones I know, and be completely oblivious!

15. tonray

I always get frustrated when they don't recognize me....once I was walking near Rockefeller Center and saw Debra Messing walk out of a cafe right in front of me....she did not even give me a glance or say hello. I would have even been happy with "out of my way creepy old guy"...but nothing...

16. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

If Ed and Wolf were beside me at a show, I would drown out the band when I screamed "OHMYFREAKINGGOD!!!!!"

Tsukiyomi, Chocol8 and tonray like this.
  17. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

Actually this reminds me...Back in my college days, I lived right behind Hill Auditorium on the U of M campus. One evening, I decide to walk over to see if I can scalp a ticket to Blues Traveler at a reasonable price. I head over and there are a bunch of guys hanging out behind the place drinking, smoking etc. so I hold up a finger (Deadhead style) ask if they have any extra tickets. "yeah I got one for you!" "How much?" "its fee man! I can't charge a guy for a miracle!" "Cool, thank you so much." "Enjoy the show"

So I continue to walk on toward the front to go in and a couple people up the side walk are watching me. As I get close they ask "Did you just get a ticket from John Popper?" I look back, finally recognize that the large rather easily recognized character I just had a face to face conversation with was indeed John Popper "uh, yes, I did."

Another night, I went to the Michigan Theater to try to get tickets to see Buddy Guy and Chris Duarte. Show sold out reallly fast weeks ago but they were releasing tickets around the sound board after they setup and knew how many would be available. While I am waiting inline chatting with the other guys there, someone comes up with a single extra ticket and I get it. The guys in line I was hanging with say "Hey you are a student here right? So you know where there is a liquor store?" "Yes, of course" "If we give you cash can you get us some Crown Royal?" "Sure!" So I go to the liquor store and this other guy there and I buy every bottle of Crown Royal they have, with a friendly fight over who gets the last one. I win. We are laughing about it and chatting about blues and booze and a bunch of stuff as we head back to the theater with both our arms full of Crown. As we get close, the crowd out front starts cheering and then Chris Duarte says goodbye and heads in. Guys inline "Wait do you know Chris Duarte?" "Yes of course I do!" "Why didn't you get a ticket from him?" "'cus I just met him in the liquor store and had to fight him off for the last bottle!"

Seriously, I never recognize anyone! I could have luch with Billy Gibbons, or Gene Simmons in full costume and makeup and not recognize them until later.

toomanycats, DonM, jam and 1 other person like this.
  18. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Just judging by the pictures only, it looks to me like Eddie's generally doing pretty well, all things considered. I wish him the best.

Still hoping to get a shot at Valerie B...

Mickey and tonray like this.