Oh, No. I Tried A Carvin Legacy.

Discussion in 'Amps' started by LargeIcedCoffee, Jan 31, 2015.

1. LargeIcedCoffee

LargeIcedCoffee Well-Known Member

My friend brought his 100/50 Watt 212 Carvin Legacy to school last week, and we were jamming with the volume mostly on 1. I turned it up to about 3 or 4 just to bang out some open chords, and the clarity and "oomph" blew my mind.

As much as I love my Traynor, its downfall has always been that by the time I reach a desirable level of saturation for a good clean tone, my distortion pedals only sound good at a point I consider too much volume. I can turn down the amp volume and get a good distorted tone, but then the clean tone suffers.

So I'm flipping my Traynor (over to my brother, so I can alway hypothetically get it back) and selling the trade gear to acquire a new amp. I don't know what, though. 50/100 watts is still too much for me. That Legacy had balls, but it was WAY too loud (on the 50 watt setting).

I've been using a RAT, and a soul food to smooth it out. I like having the abrasive sound the RAT provides (and will be keeping it), but that Carvin I think is closer to the tone I shoot for. Balanced, smooth but with crispy high end. Enough low end punch for percussive riffing/palm muting stuff.

If anyone here has one of the Carvin models that cuts to <50 watts, I'd be interested in hearing opinions.

2. LargeIcedCoffee

Also thinking Mesa Mark V:25 or EVH 5150iii

nrussell23 likes this.
  3. dmitri

dmitri Well-Known Member

A pal of mine has a Carvin V3 and loves it... sounds nice at stage volumes. He plays mostly overdriven and uses volume knob to back off for cleans and a boost to get harder distortion. Might be worth looking at. Also... the Vai Legacy has a 100/50/15w range, IIRC. Did you try it on the 15w setting?

See this: http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/VL300

4. dkal24

dkal24 Active Member

I had my eye on that V3 for a while now but I would like to try one.

5. LargeIcedCoffee

His was the 212 model that is only switchable between 100 and 50 watts. I know the heads can go down to 15, but I haven't had an opportunity to try one. There is a sweet seafoam (or w/e it's called) one on reverb for $950 (half stack).

I am officially ampless (well, amp headless. I still have a traynor combo I intend to sell).

6. caustic69

caustic69 Well-Known Member

if you have the cash I'd go with the Mesa, I'm gassing for that big time. the videos I have seen/heard are pretty impressive.

I have the EVH 5150III 50 watt and it is a great amp, great clean and lead channel but the shared EQ and gain for channel one is kind of a drag.

nrussell23 likes this.
  7. nrussell23

nrussell23 Mr. Crown Royal Staff Member

The 5:25 will blow your mind. Best small, low wattage amp I've ever played

LargeIcedCoffee likes this.
  8. LargeIcedCoffee

Plus, it's totes adorbs.

I have no way to get a desirable electric guitar sound at the moment, and my 212 cab is just topped with all the stuff I'm selling. :cryingcat:

nrussell23 likes this.
  9. Dallas

Dallas Well-Known Member

The Legacy with the 2x12 cab has to be one of the sweetest amps I've ever played through. It really does like loud, though.