Older Dslr Or Go Right To Sony A7?

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by Poodlesrule, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

In few words: I want to screw around with an older DSLR (TBD) and play with odd lenses, weird macro glue-up setups.

Now after poking around, I came to realize the mirrorless Sony bodies are the thing when it comes to accepting all kinds of lenses with adapters or not.

Now, photo geeks, what is a man to do?

- stick with the idea of inexpensive used DLSR ( Canon D5, Nikon D200 and the like)
    - get into a mid-range older Sony A3000/6000?
    - go right to the top and treat myself to a Sony A7, expensive but up there in functionality image quality, versatility?

EDIT to add: very very little legacy glass, Nikon, one odd Canon

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  2. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

New sensors are much better than old and the firmware/software plus supporting hardware is much much better. New glass is also often better than legacy glass.

Ask yourself why you want to do this, and let that drive what your spending priorities are. I would lean toward getting the best body you can and then looking for deals on glass. The body drives your user experience.

Poodlesrule likes this.
  3. Poodlesrule

The A7 idea was way out of bound, as in, my skills do not need that level of sophistication.

Yet, the now aging A6000 may just be the sweet spot, at $650 street with two lenses, one decent.

The idea behind the Sony E mount is that they can take adapters for odd lenses, but the "modern" lens typically does a much larger part of the work than the old-school type did!

An other aspect of modern cameras being a combo computing platform + smart glass is durability, just like your a smartphone or other consumer electronics. On to the trash heap.

MAJOR EDIT: size and weight. I now remember eyeing the Sonys at BestBuy in he past, and liking the feel.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019

4. golem

golem Well-Known Member

I like going with older DSLR unless there is a feature on newer cameras you must have. I'd put all the money on the best lens you can get.

Poodlesrule likes this.
  5. Flatline

Flatline Well-Known Member

My wife has a Sony A3000 - It takes great photos. It overheats and shuts down if you try to take videos longer than about 5 minutes.

Poodlesrule likes this.
  6. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member

To me the main difference between the mirrorless like the Sonys and Dslrs is the viewfinder issue.
    you either prefer to work off the lcd screen or you like having a viewfinder. If the formfunction of the Sonys suit you go with that they are hard to beat. I myself prefer viewfinders coming from film. If you go the Dslr route Look seriously at pentax you'd be hard pressed to find a better featured more reliable camera for the price. Most of their lens stand up to anyone elses and some ( the limited series ) are recognized as some of the best out there. As an aside with Pentax even their screwmount lenses will work on a pentax body screwmount requires a $30 adapter and non a lenses work manual all lenses from late 70s on work full auto if wanted.

7. Poodlesrule

Some folks seem to think the video problem may be from the SD card?
    Did you try other combinations?

8. Flatline

Flatline Well-Known Member

I've tried 3 different cards and all eventually overheated. I haven't sought out any super high end cards though so it is possible that a better card might help. I have a two Samsung cards and a SanDisk. All 95MB/s (U1) speeds.

9. dspellman

dspellman Well-Known Member

If you don't have legacy glass, you may as well just go with the mirrorless and not look back.

I have a ton of old glass in prime condition, so I'm good with DSLRs for the next decade (Canon 5D Mk IV at the moment).

I'd rather look through a really accurate viewfinder than at an LCD screen, but if I'm mostly doing video, the LCD screen (external) is a given.

peskypesky likes this.
  10. Poodlesrule

Yes.

Very hard to resist this key idea: buy a modern flexible body (= mirrorless) and BOTH gradually build on it with lenses AND make some weird tinker adapted kits for it.

11. dspellman

dspellman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that most of these mirrorless bodies are inherently all that modern or flexible, but they do eliminate mirror shake at slow speeds and they are smaller (elimination of the mirror box accounts for that). When digitals first became affordable and professional enough (that would probably be the 20D with 6 megapixels) back in 2005, I wondered why we were stuck with a mirror and a 35mm format, and was told by both Canon and Nikon that it was a more soothing transition for the consumers. By the time everyone was using the screen on the back of the 35mm style cameras, I was still wondering why the viewfinder/mirror box hung around. And finally, it seems that Sony and the like have done away with it nearly 15 years later.

What I *really* can't get these days is the inability of the interchangeable lens manufacturers to catch up to the iPhone in the sophistication of the electronics. Most folks can do a far better job with their iPhone X thanks to all of the electronic help they're given. Now THOSE are modern and flexible.

And the final comment involves the democratization of so many of the Photoshop skills into free and cheap apps that live on the phones; why aren't those incorporated into the supposedly more sophisticated cameras "pros" cart around. The lack of those and the commonly available communication choices via WiFi and BlueTeeth (or the requirement that you pay big bucks for additional bolt-ons) is just silly. And if an iPhone can have two (or three) cameras available in their little candy bar formats, what's the issue with a Sony or Nikon?

12. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member

@dspellman The reason those aren't included on "pro" camera is they want more control over their images the arument over jpg vs raw is their tube vs ss. The you have workflow everyone has heir own way of getting to the finished image through any number of versions of a dozen kind of software. Kind of like picks and strings but if you have a dslr you know what I mean. Some are happy with jpgs straight out the cam some tweak the hell out of a raw file and some are happy with an iphone.I still have pentax legacy gear the lens will adapt to anything because of a short registry distance . I still don't have a digital camera as I just can't jell with one.

13. Poodlesrule

In relation to post #11 above by Spellman, it would be amusing to see Apple go back to partner with Sony and Canon, like they did in the early days of Macintosh..!

Anyway, between the typical digital camera onboard computing,
    and the post process some take their photos through, that is a lot of bits being shuffled around.

Extensive image manipulation once it leaves the camera is not my idea of fun.

Gotta go to bestbuy today and get my hands on some Sony's.

14. G_Shock52

G_Shock52 Member

If you like to go down odd lens rabbit holes I recommend going with an older Sony A-mount camera. A-mounts are the same mounts as older Minolta lenses, Sony bought them out and changed the names before obsoleting them with the current e-mount line up. Basically you have a plethora of old vintagey minolta lenses to go through and if you shop around you can find them for 35 to 50 a pop and build a great unique kit on the cheap. As a bonus the chips work natively on the Sony a-mount cameras so all of your auto focus, iso, shutter speed etc are fully functional. You can also buy adaptors and get old Russian made lenses that are manual, and thats always fun to discover some crazy glass as well. Personally I have an a37 and about 8 to 10 lenses and spent around 500 total. I've used it professionally for photos and video work as a secondary camera and it's served me well.