Open Peghead/tuners - Question For The Acoustic Experts

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by uwmcscott, Dec 5, 2018 at 12:07 PM.

1. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

So I've been playing a lot of acoustics lately in my quest for a smaller bodied guitar, and one of the styles that i'm really liking is the Taylor X12 "grand concert" body shape - which is probaby between an O and OO in size.

Having said that, most of them come in both a 12-fret and 14-fret version ( where the neck meets the body, not the total number of frets ). The 12 fret has the same scale length, but basically the whole works is shoved back farther into the body and the bridge is moved back farther too. it's actually a very comfortable feel for the purpose I'm seeking, which is a couch/home guitar. And I think I can actually hear the difference between teh 12 and 14 fret with the bridge moved back...sound a bit fuller.

Having said all that, while the 14 fret models have a more standard headstock, the 12 frets have the open peghead design. Are there any inherent issues with that type of setup? I know they've been making them for all of eternity ( well, guitar eternity anyway ) but just curious if there's any drawback to this type of setup. It looks pretty cool and the tuners seem to operate just fine.

956c1388ed69eea7d6ff4ec2801482f1.jpg

Manodano likes this.
  2. uwmcscott

Holes in your head front page bump.

3. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

Can't help, but had to say that it sure looks pretty.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

uwmcscott likes this.

4. howardlo65

howardlo65 Well-Known Member

Nope. No issues at all. I have few with the slotted headstock and like them (and really like the look).

uwmcscott likes this.
  5. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

12 fret guitars came first and normally had the slotted head tuners (after all, gut strings came before steel and they all have slot heads today.)
    I could be wrong but I believe 14 fret guitars and the type tuners you think of as "normal" were born around the same time,
    thus I suppose it seemed natural to use them on the same guitar?

The only thing I see wrong on your picture is it says "taylor" on the headstock. :rolleyes:

uwmcscott likes this.
  6. uwmcscott

I guess the only physical difference would be the angle of the string over the nut - a sharper angle one as the string connects below the face of the headstock vs. the tuning peg of a "standard" tuner which would be above the face of the headstock. But probably 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

What about string changes - any harder or easier with the slotted/open setup?

Regarding Taylor, I know there's some who aren't fans as they tend to do some things that aren't as "traditional", but i've played a lot of Acoustics lately and for me I like them the best. I've played lots of Martins. I've played Avarez, Seagulls, Guilds, Takamines, Gibsons, Washburns, etc. I even got a chance to play some uber-high end Collings and even a couple of Goodall's. But at the present time Taylor seems to push all the right buttons for me.

7. Mickey

Well, changing strings on a slothead is a slightly different skillset from what you are accustomed to and
    will likely expand your vocabulary of fine old anglo-saxon four letter words until you get the hang of it.

Needless to say, Martin & Gibson acoustics sound best to me and Taylor acoustic's sound like fingernails on a chalkboard.

This is pretty good info:

uwmcscott likes this.
  8. uwmcscott

To me it looks like he's got the high and low E's on backwards with that funky angle, but he at least sounds like he knows what he's talking about ;-)

Specific to the Taylor/Martin thing - I do like the Martins as wel, but they simply don't make an OO or O cutaway - the smallest body they have with a cutaway ( at least that I can find ) is the "grand Performance" which is about teh same as the Taylor Grand Auditorium. And none of the martins come in a 12-fret cutaway.

9. Mickey

I agree on the E's, but he's spot on with the rest. He may have something in mind with the E's but I'm not certain what. :)
    Something I do with the plain strings is put them thru the hole in the tuner post, half turn then thru the hole again & pull tight.
    Can you tell I've had bad luck with plain strings slipping? :)

uwmcscott likes this.
  10. uwmcscott

The slots are quite narrow on that particular guitar too and he mentions that in the video. That electric-string-winder-on-a-stick looks like it would be a pretty handy tool to have as well.

11. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

It's all about what you like. Mickey doesn't like 12 fret guitars. I am pretty obsessed with them. I like the fuller slightly warmer sound I hear with a 12 fret. Recording King has a lot of 12 fret models but many are too narrow a neck for me. The ROS 626/627 (discontinued) are triple o all solid wood models. The ROS 06 is solid top/lam sides and back but sounds pretty sweet. Can't comment on Taylor or Martin for some reason they do not appeal to me. The slot heads look nice but present a challenge (it's a personal thing) in winding properly but most folks will find no such difficulty.