Opinions On Steinberger Tuners?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Believer, Dec 4, 2018 at 10:41 PM.

1. Believer

Believer Well-Known Member

Whaddya think? Guy on Reverb asking big bucks...what are they REALLY worth?

2. Believer

Bumpage for obvious reasons...

3. kungphugrip

kungphugrip Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The general consensus is that they are really
    Smooth and good, I don't know if they are worth
    Big bucks, the Gibson's that feature them have been blown
    Out many times.

4. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

You mean the gearless tuners which come with some of the Firebirds?

I bought a 2016 Gibson Firebird late October this year and really like them so far. I am not sure if they mount in standard tuner holes. They are locking tuners with knurled knobs on the back, that when you turn clockwise it pulls the post into the hole. The post does not turn. Instead the string rests on a ferrule that is pressed in the hole on the string side. The post is in the middle of that and as it sinks, it tightens the string.

Like other locking tuners, the trick is to get the string in as tight and as straight before locking. Tunes up in seconds, has enough travel for string stretching and has 40:1 accuracy. That can be a learning curve for on the fly tuning, as you have to put more of a turn on it to get correct amout of tune string. 14:1 tuners, you just have to nudge - these need a deliberate crank.

I personally felt the Steinbergers or banjo type tuners were a must to complete the art deco aesthetic of a Gibson Firebird.

idiotsdelight and golem like this.
  5. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree with you more. 2019 Gibson FB's have gone away with them in an attempt to save money I assume. Lost the headstock step, which was really part of the automotive tie in if you ask me. I know there are/were Gibsons made minus the step/tuners, but those 2 visual things make a FB, imo.

I have the new Kluson ones on my Epi Treasure. They're pretty stiff. I might need to look into a remedy but I love the look of them. Pure Firebird. More affordable too. I've been watching used Steinberg auctions going for $200-$300.

I have something on the way the might be of interest if you're considering them. Stay tuned.

andrewsrea likes this.
  6. Believer

Thanks for the replies. I've seen some being sold on both Reverb and *bay. Asking prices were kinda outrageous (+$250 for a set, $75 for a single tuner), and I wondered if that was just some of the *bay silliness we see from time to time. Actually, I've taken a chance on a Firebird Zero on Reverb for $419 delivered. Two things that made me take the chance: previous owner replaced the original tuners w/steinbergers and it comes with a Gator hardcase. I figure that's at least $200 worth of extras, meaning I'm getting the guitar for about $200. I'm thinking that's a pretty good deal. I'll know more tomorrow as it's supposed to be delivered by 8:00 pm. BTW, I have two Gibbys w/steinbergers: an SG Future, and a real Firebird. I love the steinbergers, and really don't understand why they never really caught own.

andrewsrea likes this.
  7. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

That black one posted in another thread?
    I didn't notice the Steinbergers.

8. Believer

No, same model but different seller. I'll try to post a pic when it gets here.

idiotsdelight likes this.