Opioids: "7 Years, 76 Billion Pills"

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by Poodlesrule, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

This is the title of the Washington Post about the new data released this week.

The maps speak for themselves. Virginia was flooded with pills, 300 per inhabitant per year, at the peak. A whole chunk of Appalachia fell victim.

Distributors were warned early on, nothing happened.
    They just doubled down, it looks like.

The whole industry knew.
    Bastards.

Lamf77, Gergo, MichaelR and 2 others like this.
  2. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

There was a good article on this and the family who made millions promoting it. But, they gave a lot to charities and built librarys so many of the lawsuits will go nowhere.

3. Poodlesrule

That's Prudue Pharma, the maker, one opf the players.
    The whole thing was much wider, implicating distributors, like McKesson, Cardinal Health, Walgreens CVS, etc, who knew the extend of the humongous sales, but looked the other way to the cash register.
    Fresh release of database shows more details.

"A Washington Post analysis of the database shows that America’s largest drug companies distributed 76 billion oxycodone and hydrocodonepain pills across the country between 2006 and 2012 as the nation’s deadliest drug epidemic spun out of control."

4. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

Now it's hard to get a pain medication when you really need one, but the illicit industry seems to go along without a hitch.

STACKS and peskypesky like this.
  5. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

heinous

6. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

.. And were aided and abetted by Congress... Cock#£&@ers

frozensoda likes this.
  7. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Gotta get those campaign contributions.

This is an example of why our country needs and has needed REAL campaign finance reform.

When I type "our country", I don't mean to imply ownership. We don't own this country. The corporations do. They own our politicians and they own us.

"For American candidates, the lack of spending limits means they're always at risk of being outspent, which means they can never stop raising money. If you can convince one billionaire (or corporation) to write you a check for $2.5 million, that's the equivalent of persuading 10 thousand ordinary people to give you $250"

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    tonray likes this.
  8. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I dont get this. Years ago my grandmother was dying of Parkinson's. Loopy much of the time because of pain and sometimes of pain pills that did more to make her loopy than fix pain. One time I visited her after some minor surgery. I was thinking she would be out of it completely instead she said she felt good and was one of the best talks I had with her at the end. I could not get her more of that pain med because it was "addicting" wtf?
    Then a few years ago I had kidney stones. Went to emergency at Kaiser. They took me right in because I was convulsing so much and I was going to have to knock myself unconscious. But the pain went away while there. I begged them for a prescription if it returned but wouldn't. Next day it was back I called figuring with the diagnosed record of the day before I could just have them call in a prescription but no I had to go back.
    I almost knocked the ficking door off the track going back it the er. Still took them hours to give me anything. By then I was black and blue. I thought I was muttering but my wife said I was basically screaming cuss words.
    Well next time
    I'm not holding back. And I will be doing more damage to other things than myself.

Then just a month ago I tried to guillotine my foot with a jagged flagstone and same thing. It took hours before I got any pain med. Not until they decided no broken bones and finally just to sew it up. 3 hours going between pain confusion and half passed out.
    Did all the junkies use up the supply so theres none left for ca?
    I seriously need to go buy some on the black market just so I can have one in an emergency. I am soooooo getting sick of having my life impacted because other people aren't responsible and need nannies.

MicahC, minpind and fullonshred like this.
  9. MarkW

MarkW Well-Known Member

10. Poodlesrule

@nomadh you would have to find the sales folks, distributors and ALSO docs who had a revolving door and a semi-automatic prescription writing pad working full tilt.

But yes, in your case, you should have had a pain relief available.

nomadh likes this.
  11. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Well-Known Member

Folks, let’s not forget that there’s some personal responsibility here also.

Sure, there are predators out to eat you.

Act accordingly.

My dad was a junky when I was a kid. I do not blame the people that dealt to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDog, doc-knapp, tvvoodoo and 4 others like this.
  12. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I lost my oldest son to this damn drug and I feel strongly that if your gonna lock up some kid for pot why then should those who produce and distribute this poison get off scott free laughing all the way to the bank!!!

jam, adad, Morrison and 6 others like this.
  13. mighty_duck

mighty_duck Well-Known Member

Normally, I'd agree with you. But when it's people in position of trust like Doctors doing this, it is a bigger problem than just individual responsibility. I have good friends who are otherwise very responsible, but were given high dosage prescription opioids by their doctors for various pains, and became addicted.

This was an intentional effort by several big pharma companies.

tlarson58, peskypesky and tonray like this.
  14. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Find a "back pain clinic."
    My experience with my late wife was they were pill pushers for opiods.

peskypesky, tonray and nomadh like this.
  15. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Why is it not the junkies faults? Were salesmen and Doctors kidnapping people, force feeding them for weeks until they got hooked? Pain meds are dangerous and addictive. What idiot doesn't know that? I've talked to people with long term pain. They were constantly grappling with if they were addicted or not. Then after the surgery then needed to fix the issue they needed to detox. And they relied on friends and family to understand and keep them honest. Because EVERYONE understands how addicting these are and want to support getting better.
    I'm fine with going after lots of the white collar criminals but people need to take responsibility for their own lives. Basically if you don't own your own life then you really don't deserve to keep it.

16. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

It is definitely the responsibility of the user as well. I would be very careful about labeling everyone "junkies" that was somehow addicted to opoids though. Many of them are patients who trusted their doctors when prescribed said meds, and it's not too hard to get hooked. My wife's grandfather was one of them who got hooked after several back surgeries and ended up killing himself by OD, that was back before Narcan.

I think the difference here is that there was systemic over prescribing going on and no one did anything to stop it because the cash was rolling in. Everyone is happy to look a blind eye when your 401K is making double digits every year due to the very companies that it's now fashionable to tear down.

17. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

There is a recovery fellowship that says "One is too many, and a thousand is never enough." But I gotta think 76 billion would get the job done.

3 out of 6 of the male cousins in my generation died from addiction. Various substances. My niece has ruined her life and others and is no fit parent to her 3 kids for the same reason. Addiction is a national disaster, and there is no true solution in sight.

doc-knapp, tvvoodoo, nomadh and 4 others like this.
  18. LessPawl

LessPawl Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Gold Supporting Member

Opiates are scary and so widely abused, it's a national crisis. I don't have the answers, but I am fully aware of the issues. One of my son's friends was a full blown coke addict in high school. He graduated to opiates later and at one point was taking 10 to 20 Norcos a day, 7 days a week. This went on for a number of years. Multiple interventions did nothing to help. Last i heard, he was still pumpin the opiates down like a champ. He's married with 2 kids and has a wife with an executive position in a Fortune 500 company. His dad passed away and left this kid a lot of money. My son estimate at the rate he's burning through it buying drugs, he'll be broke within five years. The dad left this kid a a pretty big pile of jack. Last time i talked to the this kid was at his father's wake. He was completely fried. That made me pretty sad. I thought of his wife and children.

The single best thing I ever did in my life was to quit drinking almost 26 years ago. I've never looked back. I was never a drug guy, as i watched too many of my close friends perish from drugs over the years. I got lucky there. I'm 100% sure that if I'd ever tried Coke, I would have loved it, for sure. Back in the day, every party we went to had unlimited Coke just sitting out for anyone to have. Sometimes, I realize how lucky I was to have avoided that stuff. Whew.

STACKS and fullonshred like this.
  19. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

There is another issue here. In 1 way we are all junkies. We are addicted to avoiding pain. If a person has a real and persistent extreme pain they will take pills to avoid it. And if you get some sort of life for even a few years before you overdose isnt that a big win over living the rest of your long life in misery? Or worse just killing yourself mad from the pain?
    So I question the concept of the number of deaths. Maybe of the 1000 that die 850 of them would have killed themselves 5 or 10 years ago from the pain and depression. I dont know the numbers but some of these pills certainly gave some people years of better living.

20. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

A few years back I was prescribed 60 days worth of opioids (two different 30 day supplies back to back). If I followed the instructions given by the doctors I easily could have ended up addicted. Luckily I knew better and only used a small fraction of the pills they gave me. So yes, I do blame the doctors who wrote unnecessary prescriptions or prescriptions for more pills than necessary, and who did not adequately warn and educate their patients. They were in a position of trust and responsibility and failed miserably.

Mickey, tvvoodoo and tonray like this.