Opioids: "7 Years, 76 Billion Pills"

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by Poodlesrule, Jul 17, 2019.

1. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

The synthetic opioids are designer drugs, created in the lab to be stronger and more immediately effective than morphine for example. They trigger the brain in a way no natural substance can, in many people, causing a lifelong addiction with the first course of pain pills. That is why it's not their fault.

2. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You know, a few years ago I had a dental implant. To my surprise the dentist prescribed hydrocodone and Ibruprofen 800 for the pain. I was surprised because I've had a LOT of dental work done in my life, including two implants almost 30 years ago. I had never been prescribed an opioid.

Coming from a medical family, I knew not to take the hydrocodone unless I absolutely needed it....and even then...I shouldn't take it. So I didn't. I put them in the freezer and just used the Ibuprofen and was totally fine.

IMO, that dentist should have prescribed an opioid ONLY if the Ibuprofen didn't work.

Anyway, I did end up using the hydrocodone two times. Both times after I pulled a muscle in my back moving furniture. The back pain was so severe I could barely walk. Each time, I took one pill....the pain went away and I was fine. I understood the POWER of opioids at that time....but I know that they are not something to take unless absolutely necessary.

Chocol8, nomadh and tonray like this.
  3. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

I like this discussion. Of all the current "burning issues" of the day this one seems much more important to me v.s the attention it has been getting. My young neighbour lady in her late twenties is in rehab right now (second time) and her two young kids sure want mom back.

fullonshred, minpind and tonray like this.

4. doc-knapp

doc-knapp Well-Known Member

I've placed hundreds of implants and never once prescribed a narcotic for it. If performed properly, it's not very painful at all.
    If multiple extractions and bone grafts, then there can be a need. But the placement of a single implant in an area that has adequate bone and no need for grafting should not require a narcotic. Two doses of Ibuprofen and that is it.

tobijohn, peskypesky and tonray like this.
  5. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Exactly like I use them. Anyone who doesn't use them that way is risking getting addicted. Or maybe their pain is so bad they just will be addicted. Better than killing yourself from the pain. Should people who need it do without because some over use a opioid?

6. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Well-Known Member

89ba7b8e6c363c8c9e87476cf9ec619f.jpg
    Ibuprofen does NOT even take the edge off this.

Stoned out of my mind on Percocet barely took the edge off.

96 hours post op and I was popping 2x Percs every 4 hours and was still at the very outermost limits of my reasonably well developed pain tolerance.

It took me 7 very miserable days to get to Ibuprofen.

Folks, there are injuries that require more than an NSAID.

Some folks screw this up so that people with real needs can’t get them when they need them, while oddly enough, addicts always find ways.

I’m empathetic to a degree with people who are more prone to opioid addiction, but every addict isn’t a victim and many of them—including my sons—inflicted it on themselves.

For them I have mostly scorn and disdain until they can sort themselves out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

ahh, well that might explain it then. this third implant did require a bovine matrix bone graft because the bone was too thin at the front of my mouth. So maybe he thought there might be more pain than there was.

8. tonray

Maybe they saw GAS of the Day threads and wanted to help you through the pain

doc-knapp and peskypesky like this.
  9. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

OK this is a middle of the night thought... between the distributors and the addicts there are doctors, many bad ones, apparently.
    What happened to them?

Did the state boards police themselves and weed?
    If not, why not?

Not taking action may lead to people losing confidence in the profession, which would be a loss for all of us.

10. Aullucci

Aullucci Well-Known Member

So this is behind a paywall now, but the Atlanta Journal Constitution did a piece HERE about the role of doctors. They found more than 1000 doctors since 2016 have been disciplined by various state medical boards for over-prescribing opioids and more than 150 have been prosecuted. But this article is more than a year old, so I'm sure those numbers are both higher now.

11. tonray

I hope they caught the Cobra that snuck up on you.. Yikes

supersoldier71 likes this.
  12. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Holy crap! It looks like you dropped your peavey classic 50/410 on your ankle :)
    My foot wasnt nearly that bad and AFTER the stitched it up tylenol could deal with it. Still for 3 hours in ER they wouldnt give me even a local.

Well said.

supersoldier71 likes this.
  13. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

There is a shit ton of shared responsibility in all this mess. Just because something is prescribed doesn't mean you have to take it. especially with little thought of repercussion of what it can do to you.
    I watched a documentary last year on HBO that dealt with addiction on Cape Cod. One of the twenty somethings that was being interviewed said they got involved with narcotics because they were bored. How about getting a fucking job? To hear all this blaming of big pharma and reckless doctors takes from the fact that much if this is about shitty choices.
    I have been prescribed narcotics before thank god... never had an issue. I just can't accept blaming everyone around you and not accepting responsibility for you own actions... I see that too much by too many in too many areas.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  14. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

Those that desire to use will use. If they suppress sales of prescription opiates they will use heroin or bootleg prescription drugs. When I was in the service I was in the middle of the Indian ocean for 6 continuous months without pulling in to a port yet there were always illegal drugs available. Where there is demand there will be supply.

Here in Florida they shut down the pain clinics and cracked down on the legal opiates. Next thing you know heroin use is through the roof. This battle is like squeezing a balloon and always will be. I am not sure which is worse, doctors prescribing opiates or cartels supplying opiates.

15. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

That’s only partially true. There are certain people who will self medicate any way they can, no doubt. BUT usage is not a steady level of “it is what it is.” There has been a very large increase in opioid usage and addiction that exactly corresponds with big pharma pushing opioid prescriptions and doctors following suit.

While looking at each individual and how they got addicted and whether they would or would not use if things were different has some interest, that line of thinking can miss the forest for the trees. Looking at the big picture in the US, it is hard to dismiss the overwhelming evidence that pharma and medical industries have contributed to a big increase in opioid use and addiction above a “normal” baseline level.

Yes, the patient has to be responsible, but many don’t have the knowledge they need to be responsible with narcotics, and worse, many people were raised to trust doctors and follow their instructions. Little things could have made a huge difference, like giving me a 3-5 day prescription post surgery, and then following up to see if I needed more vs simply writing a 30 day script with instructions to “take 3x a day” with no warning about the potential consequences of doing so. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking an addicted brain can think rationally because it can’t. If you follow doctor’s orders and develop a chemical dependency, you won’t think the same way you do now. You may not have the judgement or will power to not get in deeper.

16. STACKS

STACKS Well-Known Member

I have a prescription here at the house for oxy.

"Take one tablet by mouth every 4 hours as needed for pain."

The big part here is, "as needed".
    I think it gets misunderstood and people just take them every 4 hours until they are gone, and then end up possibly needing more to cover the actual pain in certain circumstances when you really need it.
    When I first got it I thought, yup, every 4 hours. Luckily my wife is a nurse and explained that that is not how it works.
    Just because you have them, doesn't mean you NEED to take them them all the time.
    Take as needed.

LessPawl and minpind like this.
  17. supersoldier71

Caveat emptor: learned it Mrs. Priester’s 8th Grade Consumer Economics class and I’ve carried it with me every day since.

A big company wants to make money off you. They all do.

This very powerful tool can also F&@K you up if used incorrectly. Powerful tools are like that.

And while some doctors are certainly culpable, fact is that people HATE pain, it’s why they call it “pain”. If one doctor won’t give the scrip, the next one in line will.

It’s dangerous out here.

Be wary.

STACKS, minpind, ID10T and 1 other person like this.
  18. supersoldier71

Oh yeah the ankle.

That was my last scheduled jump while on Airborne status.

And I didn’t even do it jumping out of a plane.

It was during Pre-Jump, where we simulate Parachute Landing Falls into a pit full of ground up rubber. It had rained the night before and as I was exiting the pit, my foot slipped and I hyperextended my ankle and tore up a whole bunch of stuff.

Bone, cartilage, ligament and tendon damage.

The first 4 days, post op, were the most pain I’ve ever experienced. Two pills every four hours (six hour intervals were recommended) and still, all I could do was lay on the couch with an ice pack behind my knee and do breathing exercises. When it was time to go to bed, I’d elevate the leg and pray a lot.

Day five I got down to two every six hours. Day six, one every six. Day seven, one or two to get to sleep, but that was my fault: I’d slipped coming down the stairs and bashed the ankle against the wall at the landing.

I thought I’d have to go to the ER but the sutures held.

I’d initially decided against getting my shoulder reconstructed because of the ankle, but my DPT and others told me that if I didn’t at least get the debris out of the joint, I’d continue doing damage and I’d end up needed a shoulder REPLACEMENT.

For the shoulder, they gave me a nerve block pre op, so I needed one Percocet on day two to quiet the throbbing and get to sleep. NSAIDs after.

2017 was a little rough.

fullonshred and STACKS like this.
  19. LessPawl

LessPawl Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Gold Supporting Member

SS, holy moly man, that's some injury. Thanks for your service, sir.

20. OpenG

OpenG Active Member

Somebody in my town got caught with a kilo of fentanyl. I'm happy it is off the streets. I hope it's off the streets.

fullonshred and supersoldier71 like this.