Peavey Bandit 112 Silver Stripe

Discussion in 'Amps' started by AnotherJim, Dec 3, 2019.

1. AnotherJim

AnotherJim Well-Known Member

Of late, I have been looking to move away from using my tube amps. Not sure why, just a “thing”. I have had a bit of a quest for a Bandit. I really wasn’t looking for a modeling amp, just a straightforward good sounding SS amp. Lo and behold, my friend was looking to sell his. We haven’t exchanged $ yet but will be. I cleaned out the input jacks and at some point will strip the chassis out of the cab and clean the pots and check for bad solder joints. I ran an overdrive in front of the amp and then in the effects loop. I must have something turned up because running it through the effects loop really boosted the volume. I have read the effects loop is for only certain types of pedals (Say chorus) nd distortions should be out front. Anyway, this thing is big, deceivingly so as pics just dont give you an idea. So far I am digging it, but the test is for playing with my friends (the reason I bought it). I would love to hear what you all have to say, both positives, negatives and suggestions. By the by, we mainly play classic rock and older metal like Sabbath and Priest, so I would be interested in your comments for usage in those genres. And of course, a pic.

EE42EE89-8995-4265-B083-D86015D859DE.jpeg

Tiga, Lamf77, jimytheassassin and 5 others like this.
  2. AnotherJim

Peavey Goodness bump!!!!

3. BrianSkeezer

BrianSkeezer Well-Known Member

I have a "Designed In The U.S.A." red-stripe bandit, and absolutely love it! It's LOUD AS F*%#@ in my living room though. I really enjoy the "high gain" channel on mine, which is very Marshallesque, and great with gain midway for my punk rock tone. Without touching the gain knob and only putting the drive switch in the "vintage" mode, it's a great classic rock tone. I really don't care for the "modern" drive with the scooped mids. I know the silver stripe's drive channels are labeled differently, but I'm sure it's similar in sound. The spring reverb can be easy to go overboard to me, and I keep it around 8:30 on the dial. Enjoy it!!!

jimytheassassin and AnotherJim like this.

4. bc rich

bc rich Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mine is the Express 112 looks the same , not sure if it is a step up or down re the Bandit .
    Rescued from Goodwill and still going strong, overkill for my bedroom but 'hey'

DSCN0554.JPG

5. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Those Peavey SS amps are solid as a rock. I used to plink around on a red stripe Bandit and nothing bad to say about it

6. AnotherJim

Goodwill? Really? Wow.

7. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

I like my red stripe a lot. My only complaint is the same one I have with most SS amps, which is they can be a bit sharp in the high end. But, ultimately, if it sounds good, it is good.

I tried it through my Mesa cab and...well, not great. Now I just have to try it (and my Classic 20!) through my Greenback cab.

8. bc rich

Goodwill auction site , not one of their stores .
    Auction was 'pickup only'

9. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Having lived in Nashville for many years I tend to think of those as "pedal steel guitar" amps. :)

AnotherJim likes this.
  10. AnotherJim

I ran my pedal board through the effects loop. So far I really like what I am getting out of it. Again, until I play with my friends and am up against their guitars and the drums, I wont know my total thoughts but this amp is pretty simple to operate and seems to give exceptional results

jimytheassassin and BrianSkeezer like this.
  11. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

HNAD - looks like you caught yoself a Bandit!

c0784f9638160ece66ea04677561d5fd.png

BrianSkeezer and AnotherJim like this.
  12. Flatline

Flatline Well-Known Member

My first real amp was an old Peavey Bandit 112 . I picked it up for a $100 from an ad in the newspaper. Ended up being from an older brother of a kid I went to school with. I had it for 5-6 years. One day it just quit working. At the time I didn’t know enough to diagnose or fix it so I tossed it in the dumpster at my apartment. It was very loud and not apartment friendly.

looked just like this
    898e01a74711c76cbc26fd8e8f8391ff.jpg

AnotherJim and jimytheassassin like this.
  13. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin Well-Known Member

Congrats! Ya I bought that same model Bandit 112 as my first amp, and so did
    my best friend and band mate. Not 2 months later, and with only 6 lessons on guitar, I played a show in my first band with that amp. I think we had 4 practices (2 with our drummer) before getting out there . We may have sounded like shit, but we were loud as [email protected]{< with those Peavey amps. If you play for an hour with the volume on 10, the speaker tends to get a little hot Besides no one knows how bad you are if theyre deaf afterwards. Lol

FWIW one of those two amps is in my rehearsal space but it’s rarely used these days. I never fell in love with the sound from the Peavey but it has some ear punishing volume. Carrying it was a bit of a pain. Still all said and done, it never failed me or buckled under the pressure of being run at full bore on folk-alterna-spazzcore infused rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnotherJim and BrianSkeezer like this.
  14. bc rich

Here is my rehabilitated Bandit .
    Some ne'er-do-well had cut the grill cloth to try to remove the speaker !
    Some tape & super glue later
    And a Peavey Logo from toomanycats. 'Thanks bro '
    Clean the pots & good to go .
    Amplifies guitar in a robust manner, check.
    It could use a speaker out jack added.

DSCN0125.JPG

jimytheassassin likes this.
  15. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

Nice! - I have one of the new designs. It sounds great but it is a bit too loud for my needs and pretty heavy. I've thought about replacing it but not sure with what.

16. AnotherJim

It is pretty heavy for a Solid Stat amp. I read somewhere that they are heavy due to the size of the power transformer

Tiga likes this.