Peavey Usa - No More?

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by andrewsrea, Jul 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

Great question and, no I am not sure. I remember hearing their financial status wasn't good, when the news was tearing up Gibson for their debt and comparing other like companies. About the same time, Peavey announced 100% offshoring certain products. And then I saw that much inventory on auction and said to myself "major exodus."

Like someone mentioned above, Meridian is about as cheap as you get in the USA. Having a big, very underutilized factory that you own is often less expensive than moving to a smaller facility.

So yes, I am surmising a lot. Could be just house cleaning. But from a business perspective that is not typically good use of resources and doesn't generate killer cash for time spent. Maybe we'll hear an announcement?

StratoAgile likes this.
  2. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

I am with you Mickey. I remember a few years ago, we kicked this one around the forum a bunch. Lack of humanity in an artistic business.

peskypesky likes this.
  3. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Well-Known Member

Fact is, no one wants to pay for Made in the USA, certainly not an MIA Peavey.

Or barely anyone else for that matter.

I mentioned I was looking at a Gibson LP Goldtop and I get suggestions about Chibsons.

It is what it is.

The world moves on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. golem

golem Well-Known Member

I agree that the typical budget buyer, if they're buying new, is not buying USA made items. Used, I think that there are a lot of great USA made options for guitar gear.

peskypesky and andrewsrea like this.
  5. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

It wont come back unless we make it come back. If we pay companies more money to leave they leave. If we pay and feed people to get drunk, shoot up, and sleep in parks then there are people that will take that job. If we pay women to make babies they wont really raise then that's what we get.
    If we make it too easy to move jobs and too hard or expensive to keep jobs here then there it is.
    Human nature can be miserable enough as is without begging for more.

The truth is we could have kept nearly all guitar production here. It would have stabilized at around 3 to 500 for a decent guitar with 30 or 40 factories competing and instead of buying 20 and killing a bunch of trees because they were so cheap I went into a feeding frenzy I would have bought 4 or maybe 5. I would have been just as happy, made just as much music (probably alot more) my wife would be more happy and all the US workers that still had jobs would be happy. When the epa and osha would get out of hand and drive the price up to 1k, on both sides of the ocean, that's when we would push the bureaucracy back.

It's just what it takes.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    fullonshred, Believer and andrewsrea like this.
  6. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin Well-Known Member

In a nutshell. Companies have to remain profitable or it’s not a business. What would the call it then? Charity? It’s been a race to the bottom for a long time. The EPA and OSHA have done far more good than bad in keeping in businesses from being endlessly careless (carelessness that would also carry a real cost). If people had more sense (or morals) than money, then maybe we wouldn’t need them? Well it’s just my opinion too. Times change.

despiadado, nomadh and andrewsrea like this.
  7. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

As mentioned, the HP2 is U.S. made. I *think* the 120-watt Invective head is made in America as well.

EDIT: Spoke...uhhh...too soon. The Invective is made in China

Maybe they could make a U.S. boutique line and call it Meridian.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    andrewsrea and RiverDog like this.
  8. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Well-Known Member

Not entirely wrong, but we consumers have to accept some culpability also.

We’re Americans: we would rather own a lot of stuff than own really nice stuff. We’d rather buy disposable and never have to worry about maintaining it, than buy an item that could last a lifetime with proper care.

Most of this is self inflicted.

Believer, despiadado, nomadh and 2 others like this.
  9. eldos1

eldos1 Well-Known Member

I worked for an Audio Visual company many years ago that had the main PA powered by Crown amps. We could kick the subwoofers at +112 DB at the mix position and rattle the ceiling in the ballroom and the status lights on the amps would only slightly flicker. Monster clean amps for PA work. They were just heavy as hell.

andrewsrea likes this.
  10. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

Those have to be some of the coolest guitar cases ever made. I always loved that PV had their own style and it really worked.

despiadado and andrewsrea like this.
  11. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I'm so glad that I bought my Studio 110 when they were still made right here in the US. I'll probably keep that amp forever.

toomanycats and andrewsrea like this.
  12. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member

Does this mean we need to hoard MIA Peavey amps? Asking for a friend.

mighty_duck and Pratteman like this.
  13. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

All true. My theory is that if these regulatory industries had the whole world to regulate it might keep them more busy and when they over regulated, instead of companies just ducking, firing all the americans and running to china those companies would need to get consumers on their side and fight back.
    I remember being pissede at oil companies until I saw gas station and iol co profit and the CA tax at 10 times the profit.

14. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

If I were a betting man, I'd bet on the "Delta Blues" amp, but can't think of any other Peavey product that is apt to become a collectable.

15. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

No charity. Government's job is to create /regulate a system that works best for the most people. Making it impossible to keep more and more jobs in the US is bad for us.
    Also mostly true in a way. I'd say their first 1000 pages of regulations were good. Then the next 1000 were pretty iffy. Then the rest were just a misery on the population and is just a bureaucracy than only knows hot to regulate everything but itself.
    We need 1 more bureaucracy that will spend all its time chewing up and cancelling other agencies regulations. We have no balance of power.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    bc rich likes this.
  16. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member

@nomadh Sounds like the Bureau of Sabotage in a couple of Heinlein's books. The bureau was created to slow down gov't by sabotaging it slowing it down.You got to be head of it by sabotaging the boss out of his job.

nomadh likes this.
  17. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Foreign and domestic companies can both make crap. I just think american workers should have the opportunity to make some of it :)

18. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Not quite what I was thinking of but it sounds fun.

19. Spudman

Spudman Well-Known Member

Guys - this is just a sale of excess return, imperfect, and not needed inventory.

despiadado likes this.
  20. 50 amp fuse

50 amp fuse Well-Known Member

I read an article on the shenanigans at Peavey back then. Seems there was an uproar about a bunch of production jobs being lost. In the end the only ones that kept their jobs were the front office and top brass. Actually had some correspondence with James Brown who worked for them awhile. He moved on to Kustom and shortly after they did the same thing. Moved all production to China. Works for himself these days. Runs Amptweaker, Maybe you've heard of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.