NSFW Pic Of The New Epiphone Designs

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by RiverDog, Jan 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. jam

jam Well-Known Member

I want one of those 2014ish Epi 56 P90 Chicago Blue ones with the big fat neck. I'll be buying one when they're being dumped for $100.

2. Razzle

Razzle Well-Known Member

No I haven’t. Cool! Can’t normally hang with the epi headstocks, not sure if that’s the new one (?)

But Epi nailed the purple color! Looks a lot like Gibson’s Goddess in Violet Burst, which I think is one of the best purples Gibson ever made. Now THATS purple.

Now the ‘worn’ finish, that’s interesting, I’d have to see one of those in person. Not into relicing but that worn finish might be cool.

Does anyone know if the Epi ‘Classic’ means the necks are thin like Gibby Classics? I haven’t played a lot of Epi’s so I don’t know, every one I’ve played has not been thin.

3. jamdogg

jamdogg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

voodoorat likes this.

4. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Dang slim d neck...already returned it. LAST Epi for me. I love the concept but all of the Epi's I have owned lacked something that I was unable to get over. Most involved their skinny neck profiles. It's just me though so no desire to piss off you Epi Fans. They make a nice offering if the neck and headstock thing don't bother ya! I envy you!!!

5. Gergo

Gergo Well-Known Member

People scream "Buy American over the cheap Asian guitars", or "I would love to see Epiphone bring their manufacturing back to the USA". People seem to forget is that "American built" means that it will have an "American price". No more $8 a day labor.

A $2700 list is probably about right for this guitar. Realistically, I imagine that you could get this guitar for around $2200-$2300.

6. Gergo

Gergo Well-Known Member

For me, slim taper is good. It would be the fact that they use a "D" profile that would make me return it.

OMB likes this.
  7. Gergo

Gergo Well-Known Member

RiverDog likes this.
  8. Flatline

Flatline Well-Known Member

I have a G400 pro and the neck is fine. Its not my favorite but don't dislike it. I'm keeping my eye on the new ones with the vibrola on it.

9. StratoAgile

StratoAgile Well-Known Member

Exactly. And I find it funny when some of those folks get caught buying mostly imported goods.
    I'll buy as much made here as I can but not everything is possible or guaranteed.

Gergo likes this.
  10. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Everyone seems to forget that Epi was originally an American brand, made in NY actually.
    Then Epi Strathopoulo died and his company ended up going downhill and finally sold to its biggest competitor: Gibson.
    Find yourself a 1950's Epi and it is as good as anything Gibson made at the time, probably better.
    I would love to see them compete again. :)

StratoAgile and sabasgr68 like this.
  11. dspellman

dspellman Well-Known Member

I'm a bit dismayed to find people whining about a truss rod cover ("details matter." Really?) when the stupid thing clearly says, "Epiphone" on the headstock. It's okay to prefer a headstock look, I guess, but I still get the impression that there are folks out there desperate to make others think they have something they don't, and that's a bit stunning when we're talking about mostly cheap (inexpensive?) chinese guitars.

I've sort of backed off buying new Gibsons (I'm good with older/vintage examples) and have been buying guitars from other manufacturers, including those charging half again or double what Gibson does for a similar guitar. I own exactly one Epiphone, but it's a 1939 model that, at the time, was considered one of the best of its type, and better than its Gibson counterpart. The headstock on that guitar looks nothing like that on a Gibson, proudly.

At this point I've got a pretty good stock of Agiles (12 at last count, I think) and consider them better than their Epi counterparts (YMMV) and I don't mind the Agile headstock at all.

jam and Mickey like this.
  12. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

Gergo likes this.