Pink Floyd Tribute Band - The Machinek

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by manco53, Jan 27, 2019.

1. manco53

manco53 Well-Known Member

I saw these guys last night in a tiny venue in the middle of nowhere Connecticut. Maybe 200 people? Not sure how many it holds but it was a legit theater which was really cool to see. The band was incredible. The guitarist used a red Strat with black pickguard and what looked to be black Lace Sensor pickups the whole night, but had the black David Gilmore Strat next to him on stage.

We got in after about 25 mins into their first set so I’m not sure if he started with the black guitar and something went wrong or what, because he never switched back to the black Strat.

This was definitely a guitar lover’s experience, they hit all the solos and notes. A great tribute band of you ever get the chance!

0421B3F9-7EF2-464A-930F-3D6A04E34B4E.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. manco53

This is them live, but not at the place I was at last night.

tlarson58, voodoorat and Flatline like this.
  3. manco53

Sorry...not the machinek....just the machine

tlarson58 likes this.

4. RedLesPaul

RedLesPaul Well-Known Member

I first saw them in 1990 if it's still the same guys that is.

manco53 likes this.
  5. manco53

I would guess the guitar player would probably be the only current member to pull that off. But hard to say.

6. manco53

7. chimi42

chimi42 Well-Known Member

These guys get around. I remember seeing them at the Chance in Poughkeepsie NY maybe 10-15 years ago. I see they come to the jersey area from time to time too, Starland Ballroom is about 25 minutes away from me.

My recollection of the show i went to
    1) Great musicians
    2) They opened with about 3-4 of the more popular songs and then did a number of lesser known songs which kinda killed the vibe a bit

manco53 likes this.
  8. manco53

So we didn’t actually have tickets. I wanted to get away for a night with this girl I’m seeing as it’s her 40th bday next week, and was trying to find a nice inn in the country that might have an outdoor hot tub. You’d be surprised how difficult that is to find around these parts.

Well long story short, we ended up with a jacuzzi in our room, not terrible. I was scouting for tickets to this show after I decided on where we were staying and kept striking out. So when we got there Saturday I called again and they said they were still sold out, but stop by later on because they may have no shows.

We ended up going to a local winery, Sunset Meadow Vineyards and they actually are the second largest winery and vineyard in the New England states and are 94% estate wines. I always find this interesting and try to sample estate wines whenever I go to wineries. Just a thing I guess.

The tasting went well, I would probably say their bordeaux blend was my fav followed by a Cayuga white. I grabbed a bottle of the Bordeaux for home.

After the winery we hit up the jacuzzi and then found an awesome restaurant for dinner called Cantina 229. The menu, chef, preparation was all incredible.

We had veggie Reuben eggrolls for an appetizer and they had sweet potato, sauerkraut and caraway served with a thousand island-ish dipping sauce.

The lady got a bibimbap.

7D92B9F9-FC2B-40AD-A816-C918BA8833E8.jpeg

I got the cantina burger, nothing photogenic but it was tasty af.

They had a wall of tequila and mezcal. The bartender made me a sample of his signature margarita. It was incredible.

8CACA567-DDC2-4ED1-9F9F-E45729E80822.jpeg

And the bartender also twisted my arm to have an Amaro after dinner, said it helps with digestion.

013165E8-7F4B-4B6E-BA12-9EA802F6970B.jpeg

The restaurant was spot on. I’ll be back for sure.

Then we headed down to the show. We still didn’t have tickets. When we arrived, there was an ambulance and fire trucks there, quite a big commotion. Someone clearly needed medical assistance. We found a spot right up front and I turned to the lady and said, “well it looks like a couple seats just opened up!”

She wasn’t amused....

We head in and go to the box office. The woman at the counter said that someone who knows if they can sell us tickets will be back in a few mins, so we belly up to the bar. Order a couple beverages and the bartender asks us how the show was. We told her we just got there and were trying to get tickets. At which point a gentleman next to us said, “you guys are trying to get in and don’t have tickets?”
    We confirm and he scurries off to a table in the bar. I thought he was the owner or maybe someone affiliated with the venue. He then comes back and says, “hey my friend wasn’t feeling too well and we aren’t going back in, you can have our tickets.”

Turns out, his friend was the dude that fainted and was the reason all the commotion was going on out front when we arrived. So indeed, a couple seats did open up and never would I have thought this played out the way it did. I definitely said a little thank you and wished those people well when I woke up this morning, I don’t need that bitch karma knocking on my door anytime soon. Super grateful that we got into that show.

9. tlarson58

tlarson58 Well-Known Member

I got to see a Seattle Supersonics game that way. 'Guy is carrying out a sick kid and said "you want some free tickets?" My friend and I were just wandering around town and Key Arena that day. Center court, five rows up. Epic win!

A few hours before we met and shook hands with Ken Griffey Jr at a Mariners game. He was running pre-game warm up laps with a player I roomed with when he was in the minors. I had called him for tickets and went field level to say hello. Jr. just happened to be with him. Win no. 2.

The "friend" with me was my grad school professor. We were going to a nearby island the next day to collect data for a swimming pool project (long recreation major story). Griffey was his hero.

I got an A on the project. Win no. 3.

Were the bibimbap and burger gas inducing? That would have been a night wrecker.* Strong work on the evening 's effort.

That srat tone is to die for.

* I am currently experiencing crippling gas, hence the question.

manco53 likes this.
  10. manco53

Thankfully no gas from the chow lol

tlarson58 likes this.
  11. Razzle

Razzle Well-Known Member

Those guys sound good! Hope you had a great time.

Gonna have to keep an eye out for them if they ever come to the ole south near me.

manco53 likes this.