Playing Gary Moore On A Harley Benton Sg Custom. Resist The Gas If You Can!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by toomanycats, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Well-Known Member

Left The Beatles' home for some Krispy Kremes...
    That was great - some seriously nice playing and great sounds. And I definitely think you should do the PG mod to your Paradise guitar. As you say, it's already got a similar look to it, especially in that lighting (very nic pic, btw). When I got my first Agile (HSB as was) the first thing I did was put in a set of Tonerider IV's and did the reverse magnet mod. I enjoyed the different sound it gave, but never recreated it when after screwing those pickups up and replacing them with stock. (Coincidentally, I actually did a sound test of those pups - though not the middle position - over a guitarless backing track for Oh Pretty Woman)

Gary Moore is easily one of my favourite ever guitarists, not to mention Lizzy being joint favourite band along with Queen. I was lucky, the first gig I was ever taken to was Lizzy on the Black Rose tour with Moore when I was just 10. Oddly enough I've recently started reading Cowboy Song, arguably the best Lynott bio out there and a great read for any self-isolating rock muso.

Anyway, great job again and ta for sharing this (y)

2. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

I always loved that song. Great job!

Tsukiyomi and toomanycats like this.
  3. C Sotolongo

C Sotolongo Well-Known Member

That was my first big concert too! 1979 Long Beach arena (CA.). My cousins and I were discovering "Live and Dangerous" and had just got "Black Rose: A Rock Legend". Still one of the best concerts I've ever attended.

Tsukiyomi likes this.

4. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

That track sounds fantastic. It sounds like there is a middle position out of phase guitar on there. What guitar is that? And who is the red head?

Tsukiyomi likes this.
  5. Tsukiyomi

Cheers! Maybe I did end up using the middle position, it's been a while now. The clean parts make me cringe listening back, but as I wrote, it was really just a sound test for the pickups. The guitar is my 3k HSB (one of the two that I refinished), the first Agile I bought.

And that's my wife. She's usually blonde but tried something new that only lasted a few weeks :)

toomanycats likes this.
  6. Brendan

Brendan Well-Known Member

You reminded me how much I enjoyed that album. I miss Gary Moore.

toomanycats likes this.
  7. toomanycats

Gary was such a fascinating contradiction, not just as a guitarist, but also considered as a human being.

From a strictly musical point of view, it's compelling how he started from Peter Green, Cream, and Hendrix, became an 80s shredder for a decade, then finally came full circle back to the blues.

I've said this before on the forum, and I believe it's true: "Ugly people make better music." This is not meant as an insult to Gary, no more than it would be intended as a slight against the beautiful Janis Joplin. But I honestly believe that there is a pain that came from being called "fat Gary" as a kid, and from having those scars, that made him turn intensely inwards and become a hothouse for the development of his particularly mercurial brand of guitar playing. You know what that beautiful figuring on burled wood is? It's the result of affliction, disease, suffering, and pain. It works like that with the human soul too. When the person who experiences such things happens to be sensitive, and an artist, the resulting efflorescence is often what we refer to as "genius".

The blues Gary is incredible, but I love the 80s Gary on a superstrat too, and there is none more 80s than this video from 86. @PsychoCid would appreciate this.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    jtcnj, Brendan and Tsukiyomi like this.
  8. Niko Souza

Niko Souza Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This makes me want to pull out my first run Harley Benton SG Custom twin to yours and give it another shot. I thought the pickups were limp noodles but they sound a pretty amazing in your rig. Just have to figure out which of the damn cases it’s in!

9. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Well-Known Member

Great job! I really enjoyed that!

toomanycats likes this.
  10. toomanycats

Great to see you drop in, how ya been? So what's your guitar count up to now? Are you gaining on @tobijohn?

Those Wilkinson's are vintage output, around 8K in the bridge and tapering down to somewhere in the 7K range at the neck if I remember correctly. I made them even weaker by swapping out the A5 magnets for A4. While I lost in output I gained in clarity and detail, which is more important to me. The way I look at it, I can always add gain, output, juice, whatever you want to call it before hitting the amp by using an OD pedal. That's my general formula: Vintage output pups, OD pedal, moderate gain amp. That's basically the way they did it in the late 60s with treble boosters into a Marshall JTM or Fender Bassman.

jtcnj, Niko Souza and Tsukiyomi like this.
  11. Niko Souza

Niko Souza Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Been busy and had to slow down on gear stuff for a bit. Whenever I hang out here I end up spending too much money!!! But missed everyone for sure.

My collection is now shrinking vs growing.. I think? Still too many by any logical analysis but I think I'm below 50. A lot of cork sniffer stuff of later due to me selling my uncle's collection and having a few pieces from that end up in the family. I did get the new HB DC Junior and of the the Henning Pauly sig guitars. Both very cool.. I shamefully haven't played them enough... but they'll get some love soon enough.

How is the weather in your world? Aside from your neighbors your domestic situation seems pretty compatible with these crazy times.

12. toomanycats

You owe us some NGD posts. I'm sure I speak for many others as well as myself in saying your pics, reviews, and witticisms are missed.

Niko Souza and Tsukiyomi like this.
  13. Tsukiyomi

Gary would have been 68 today :(

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    toomanycats likes this.
  14. toomanycats

768px-Gary_Moore's_grave.jpg

jtcnj and Tsukiyomi like this.
  15. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

Great job @toomanycats !
    Love that song.
    Very inspiring.
    So much so that I am going to go play right now!
    I cant play like you fellas, but I will go make some noise.

16. DonM

DonM Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member

Sounds great!

toomanycats likes this.