Pocket Knives

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by msc_, Aug 19, 2019.

1. msc_

msc_ Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I posted some new knives I picked up in the NGD thread, but thought it would be better not to hijack that thread.

I’ve carried a pocket knife most every day for the past 25 years and have owned them for close to 40. I have a relatively small collection that all get used. I’ve been carrying a Case medium stockman or vintage Boy Scout whittler pattern for the past few year, but my workplace has started enforcing the blade length limit of 2.5”. This has led me down the path of finding some new knives that would serve me well and fit the limit. Here are what I’ve ended up with:

Three Rivers Manufacturing Atlas - slip joint, S35VN steel, 2.5”, titanium frame and liners, carbon fiber scales
    d17544e844f728141ead9bcb53f8f1e0.jpg

CRKT Pilar - frame lock, D2 steel, 2.5”, stainless steel frame and liners, carbon fiber scale
    d8775f2e81fa1dcccb613ec7f9aedfac.jpg

Spyderco Lil’ Native - compression lock, S30V steel, 2.5”, steel liners, G10 scales
    561ed497026cb25127a4340bbdf58fdc.jpg

Spyderco Dragonfly -back lock, VG-10 steel, 2.4”, FRN scales
    016b764adc2cebff4dcbf1a1e1c51f1a.jpg

Spyderco Ladybug - back lock, VG-10 steel, 1.9”, FRN scales
    73740511b1a09a6af10d51f4dbbe9378.jpg

All seem pretty nice and bring a little something different to the table.

What do you guys carry? I know some folks aren’t into knives, but they are good tools and can make for interesting discussion.

LessPawl, DonM, Flatline and 2 others like this.
  2. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

NH is one of the few states with no blade length limitations. Maybe Arizona, too.

guitaro, msc_ and ID10T like this.
  3. dspellman

dspellman Well-Known Member

I "accidentally" carry a CRKT "P.E.C.K"-- weighs about an ounce, has a 1.75" blade, mostly unnoticeable among the change.

Other than that, no carry.

msc_ likes this.

4. ID10T

ID10T Well-Known Member

I believe the unwritten rule in Arizona is that you should not carry any knife in a manner or that is so large that it impedes your ability to draw your pistol. The pistol of course is so that you can make a loud retreat to your rifle.
    I carry a 3" Kershaw with assisted open.

5. msc_

NC is pretty ambiguous, though you can probably carry anything within reason as long as you are not using it in a manner that causes it to be a problem. Certain cities have their own ordinances and carry is prohibited in State buildings and school campuses. Anything over 2.5" is considered a weapon in Federal buildings regardless of where you live.

I typically carry a 3" Spyderco Para 3 or Benchmade Mini Freek when not at work.

Partscaster likes this.
  6. DanOH

DanOH Well-Known Member

kershaw speedsafe.jpg
    always in my right hand pocket

DonM, fullonshred and msc_ like this.
  7. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

Zombie attack?

guitaro and msc_ like this.
  8. glasshand

glasshand Well-Known Member

I've carried a Victorinox "Tinker" SAK every day for years. I even had call for the can opener the other day when a coworker had brought something canned for her lunch and couldn't find a can opener in the office. I've lost a couple or been turned away from places over the years to ridiculous security rules, my (least) favorite being when they wouldn't let me on a ferry with it, as though I were going to hijack a ferry with a SAK.

Tsukiyomi and msc_ like this.
  9. msc_

I'm sure there are some folks who would have that mentality, but for me it's for far more pedestrian items like packaging, tubing, paper, etc.

jtcnj, manco53 and fullonshred like this.
  10. Poodlesrule

I see, and wish I had something handy like that for similar tasks, better than grab any old sharp object...

What would be a reasonable type to get, as in, solid, utilitarian?

11. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

I have a fair number of blades, a few I consider really nice ones and a lot more "cheap" nice ones.

I have bought a number of these Boker Magnum Jewel knives (funny name for a tiny knife) and given them away as gifts to some folks I value as true friends. I guess I need to get one for raindog as he makes that list.

I bought one years ago from either BUDK or Kennesaw Cutlery (same same, I know). Anyway it is under 2.5" blade and great little knives with a touch of class due to the Rosewood handles. I carry mine every day in the watch packet of whatever pants I am wearing.

c79c0fce341453d8bf326e57d5ee39ac.jpg

I also have a couple of Kershaw Shuffle knives, also less than a 2.5" blade. One each black blade and silver blades.

[​IMG]

5f2c306a457e70501b913b6906787488.jpg

Frankenfretter, DonM, manco53 and 3 others like this.
  12. msc_

It depends on your wants and needs. A Swiss Army Knife is always a good choice for a good utilitarian knife. There is one to fit almost any need. The knives I have above fit my needs and I enjoy having them, kind of like guitars or watches.

fullonshred and ID10T like this.
  13. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

The outfit I retired from used to give us knives periodically, dunno why?

BuckCase.JPG

But if I am honest, the only one I carried was a Leatherman Tool. But I've not carried that one in years since I quit wearing Levis, because the Leatherman came with a belt pouch
    and I seldom wear a belt anymore.

Leatherman.jpg

14. fullonshred

The Boker Magnum Jewel in my post above is very small, light, and stays unnoticed by me and by others until I need it. Classy looking little knife as well. They also sell a white bone handled version that is a 3" blade and about $20 more. I find the Rosewood version at $12 and up. They come in a nice little tin can presentation box.

https://www.amzn.com/Boker-Magnum-01MB318-Pocket-Stainless/dp/B00BCYB052

https://www.amzn.com/110250WB-Tradi...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=P3WQDXPQ24XV1Y0ZNY7W

Frankenfretter and msc_ like this.
  15. RockYoWorld

RockYoWorld Well-Known Member

I don't know if it counts, but I like my Leatherman Wave+. I know it's not as good as a quality dedicated pocket knife, but I find it useful when I'm working on projects or walking around at work. None of the tools are as good as a dedicated one, but having this little guy in my pocket lets me do simple things without walking around to find the right tool.

32c3ca8497a9d9bcd207a154c90b68c1._.jpg

2b06fe9c991d8889e43148866dca9598._.jpg

4d22de291c1e835f6b526d9e80693aef._.jpg

8edb7459252110d973ffb210b32fc6f8._.jpg

Tsukiyomi, DonM, manco53 and 5 others like this.
  16. Poodlesrule

I forgot:

I come from farmer stock, and every French farmer in my original neck of the woods carried this:

[​IMG]

The design has not changed much.
    Older, vintage ones had a tighter feel.

Gee, now that reminds me of the plum eau-de-vie, old country folks used to make, and their generous helpings, in water glasses ( I am thinking of you Esther, RIP)...!

RiverDog, glasshand, DonM and 3 others like this.
  17. fullonshred

There are a number of nice to excellent blades I sold for drinking money back in my youth, and several that were stolen by my drunken "friends" during those times. I have tracked one down and purchased it (no longer made) but have not had the same luck with three others.

I had two knives, a folder and a straight blade that were handmade for Valor knives by Hattori Ichiro in Japan. These were NOT the el cheapo crap made by Valor, but of extremely high quality and worth hundreds today instead of the $40-50 I paid in the last 1970's/early 80's.

The straight blade Ichiro and a prized Western Brand Rosewood Drop Point Folder were stolen by the same guy. I figured this out years later after I sobered up. He was a good dude, but legitimately had Kleptomania. I made the mistake of thinking our friendship would "protect" me from his thieving. I was wrong.

Will try to find pictures of these "lost treasures" later and post them up. I had a chance to buy one of the Valor/Ichiro folders 6-8 years ago but passed thinking I could find one for less than the (then) $270 price. Wrong again. I should have jumped.

msc_ likes this.
  18. Raindog

Raindog Well-Known Member

I prefer a fixed blade knife. When I am wearing jeans, I carry a Randell Knife model 25-5. Otherwise a Kershaw 1620 Scallion. This is the model 25 when it was new. Frequent kayaking trips and everyday wear has taken a toll on it the past 10 years. But it will still last me the rest of my life. I've since switched to a waxed impregnated sheath, since I tend to get it wet a lot.

My25-5.jpg
    Handle is polished samber stag, not ivory.

God, I think that we could be friends. My motto is that a pistol is only so that you can hold someone/something off until you can reach a long gun.

DonM, msc_, manco53 and 2 others like this.
  19. fullonshred

Valor Japan 359 Super Sport Fighting Knife.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Valor Japan Wood Hand Made by Ichiro Hattori 360 Super Sport Lockback Knife

This is probably the one I waited and missed. It was $299.99 not $270 as I thought,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of the physical things I lost (threw away) due to drinking, these 2 knives and the Western Rosewood Drop Point Lockblade are things I actually miss.

And add my Benjamin Pump up .22 Caliber pellet pistol I sold at a Saturday yardsale.

Frankenfretter, DonM and msc_ like this.
  20. msc_

Just for reference, the knives in the first post are small. Not suitable for fighting zombies, battling ninjas, or chopping down trees.
    82ce32a4d98605be1a7280a3be521e3b.jpg

Also, you guys have some great knives!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Frankenfretter, fullonshred and DonM like this.