Pocket Knives

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by msc_, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Raindog

Raindog Well-Known Member

Remind me the next time that we meet up and I'll bring a knife that is a pretty close copy of that Valor (different steel.)

[​IMG]

2. msc_

msc_ Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That's beautiful! are those micarta scales?

3. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

I carry a Kershaw CQC3, it was cheap and works for what I need it to. The Emerson Wave feature is a cool party trick...

msc_ likes this.

4. uglyvw

uglyvw Well-Known Member

This is what is my pocket most of the time. I like these a lot, holds a nice edge, super slim profile for my work pants.
    Gerber Paraframe
    ffa5b6303d24594fcb9ec8927c9dcd0f.jpg

tonebender, fullonshred and msc_ like this.
  5. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    Nice gear!

I used to carry a 3 1/2" or so blade Spyderco lock back pocketknife; I have always carried a plain old pocketknife.
    Back around 2008 or so, a Sherrifs Dept. officer was checking me into a NJ courthouse as a service technician. He said it was illegal to carry at all, not just into the county building, and I should not bring it in anymore.

Since then I have continued to carry what was then #2 on my keychain, little over 2" blade.
    I have carried this knife for almost 25 years.

20190820_094041.jpg

zosofan, fullonshred and msc_ like this.
  6. Raindog

Raindog Well-Known Member

Green canvas micarta. I prefer canvas micarta over paper micarta. I ended my association with Bark River 8-9 years ago but dealers used to be able to order knives with a variety of different handle materials. I don't know if it is the same today. I used to love knives from them with sheep's horn handle material.

fullonshred and msc_ like this.
  7. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

IMG_3127.JPG I purchased the little Remington Bandit on a trip with my deceased Father in the 90's to Smokey Mountains. It came from Smokey Mountain Knife works. It was cheap because it was a factory second. What was wrong with it you ask? It never had an edge put on it. They put an edge on it for free. It has a lot of sentimental value to me because my Father told me I should get it.

The Buck 112 is the knife I have carried on my belt since the 70's. It was the knife of choice for bikers back then. I still carry it to this day.

I have many knives. The Kershaw assisted opening models are awesome.

8. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

My Father had to open boxes at his job and he always had a little Gerber, he said it kept the edge better all the others.

uglyvw, fullonshred and msc_ like this.
  9. glasshand

glasshand Well-Known Member

Love those Opinels! The blades hold a great edge. We have two at home, including one that we actually picked up in Paris because we decided to have a small buffet dinner in our hotel room, then realized we needed something to cut sausage and cheese with, and wouldn't you know what they were selling at the tobacconist's around the corner...

msc_ likes this.
  10. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Well-Known Member

Left The Beatles' home for some Krispy Kremes...
    Just a 1990's Explorer SAK (before they added the hook) and Leatherman Wingman here. Both pretty simple, but they've covered all the bases I've needed over the years.

msc_ likes this.
  11. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

I have some long blades. These are just two. One is a cain w/ 30 inch blade for when I need one later in my years.

I like to think that if someone tries barging in, they'll understand my meaning when I suggest how I could use an extra hand around the house.

DSCN2045.jpg

Tsukiyomi, msc_ and fullonshred like this.
  12. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

Ah, I have 2 sword canes. I need to take pics. Raindog brought me one when I was in the rehab center recuperating from the MRSA/Hip Replacement. Another buddy bought one for himself but passed it along to me when he "upgraded" to a Stun Gun Cane. I'm pretty sure both are illegal to "carry" in the area I live.

Back in my mid 20's and 30's I walked with a heavy hickory cane. No sword but darn near unbreakable and thick enough to crack heads if necessary.

jtcnj, Tsukiyomi and Partscaster like this.
  13. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

I usually have one of these 3 in my pocket at all times. I've done everything from gut out a deer to fashioning a makeshift throttle cable out of a coat hanger for my 70's VW bug with the Leatherman. It was a wedding party gift from a best bud about 25 years ago. The small multi tool is just a cheapo chinese one that I got as a work gift with my name engraved, but it is small enough to be a keychain. It has a small saw that i've used to actually cut small poles and other assorted scouting related tasks. The mini victorinox is about 30 years old and has been just about everywhere i've ever been. I lost the tweezers and toothpick decades ago, but the small scissors and blade/file still works like a champ.

IMG_0486.JPG

14. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I'm in ca. I COULD be arrested for carrying a nail clipper.

minpind, Chocol8 and LessPawl like this.
  15. LessPawl

LessPawl Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Gold Supporting Member

Kershaw knifes, love em. Well made, widely available, lots of sale prices very frequently, and if we lose one, no big deal. The favorite two models in our family are the 1970 and the 3460. They're just great for everyday stuff that comes up. Opening boxes, stripping wire, trimming wood into small kindling, etc. I'm guessing between all of us we have at least 12 of each model, possibly even a few more. My wife and I also each have a Microtech UTX-85 which are OTF auto knifes. They're literally amazing and so well made they impress the heck outta me. In order to legally buy, own, and carry an auto knife here, one must first have a FOID card. It was only within the last year or so that auto's became legal here again. Of course the criminal types, never had a ban on their auto knifes. LOL

I could go on and on about our full EDC load out, but this is a knife thread. I'm very particular about the EDC stuff for our whole family. The idea is to always be ready for any scenario. Helping people in a bad auto wreck, assisting a sick person in a store, protecting yourself and your family from foul weather or foul play etc. We taught our kids from the time they were young to always have a plan for whatever comes your way. We just never know when we're going to be slammed with bad weather, an accident, bad actors, or a serious onset of sickness out of the blue.

I highly recommend Kershaw Knives. Blade HQ and Amazon seem to have the best prices. If money is tight, and you still need a blade, you have to check out the Ozark Trail Brand at Wal-Mart. Pretty darn good knifes that can be had on the low during sales. We keep a bunch of those in our range bags, rifle cases, garage, etc. Interesting thread. I enjoyed the pics of the older knifes some of you guys have, very cool.

1970.PNG 3460.PNG mt.PNG

16. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

Love me some knives! I have mostly Kershaws but there are a few others kicking around. My 2 EDC knives are a Cryo and Leek with rare smoke finish. Look like these:

Cryo

Cryo.jpg
    Leek

kershaw-leek-1660BW-600x600.gif

jtcnj, LessPawl, msc_ and 1 other person like this.
  17. OpenG

OpenG Active Member

I tried carrying a knife with a 2 inch long blade but I think it scared people. I mostly used it for opening boxes at work. I switched to a little knife with a 1 inch blade. Nobody seems troubled about that knife.

In my guitar bag I have a Leatherman multi-tool. It has been useful on many occasions, mostly for the screwdrivers and pliers it contains.

LessPawl and msc_ like this.
  18. guitaro

guitaro Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Something else I like about my new favorite State. Ever since your post I've been very seriously entertaining retirement in NH or probably half and half between NH and SoCal if I can swing it financially. I'm looking in the outskirts of Portsmouth.
    I only carry a knife when I am hiking with my small dog which is typically twice a week. All I have are a couple of cheapies I got as a 2 knife set from a sporting goods store or maybe walmart. The areas I hike have mountain lions, black bears and coyotes but the main animal threat is pitbulls and other large dogs whom the owners decided they don't want to follow the well posted leash law. I would never want to resort to using a knife but also am not going to let my dog be killed or maimed because someone decided their preference is more important than my rights. I wish I could carry something like this fixed blade but am pretty sure it's illegal in California. The knives I have have a belt clip which I clip inside my pocket so it is concealed but a little more accessible. Any suggestions on a well priced knife with a clip?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    msc_ and LessPawl like this.
  19. uglyvw

uglyvw Well-Known Member

The one I posted above is a great option for a well made inexpensive slim profile with clip. The gerber paraframe comes in a standard and mini size.

20. msc_

msc_ Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If your need is for self defense or defense of your dog against dogs and other large wild animals, I don't think I would recommend a pocket knife.

guitaro, ID10T, LessPawl and 2 others like this.