Pro-pins V.2 = Mo' Better, Mo' Sexy

Discussion in 'tvvoodoo's Hangout' started by tvvoodoo, Nov 22, 2014.

1. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member

I have had these in for a good week or so - installed them on a couple of guitars and they are testing out very well. Also installed one onto a chunk of 2X2, and REALLY tested the shadizzle out of it.

42dbf2c7804bc7348657be9563c98c60.jpg

Stuck the 2x2 into a vice.... put my strap on the button and yanked and pulled and twisted and jerked for six or seven minutes. Gradually ramped up to really extreme pulling, maybe sixty/seventy pounds lifting kind of pull. - I pulled so hard I only quit when I could hear and feel fibers tearing apart in the body of the strap. The sides of the pin did bend slightly under VERY extreme testing near the end after pulling on the strap directly outward from the "guitar", which I don't see much of in real life. Even still, THE STRAP DID NOT WANT TO SLIP OFF - and the screw did not pull out. And I was tired when it was done LOL

A regular stock guitar pin/screw would not have held a strap on for the first thirty or forty seconds of the punishment I dealt to this button. I did NOT test a so-called "locking" system beside this, but I would guestimate the screw on one of those would have pulled out or broken off maybe at the five minute mark.

I am going to call these good. Better than good... far superior. As a vote of confidence, I want you guys to know I will be installing them onto ALL of my guitars, in coming weeks and months, as I get around to it. (edit - the solid body ones, and maybe the semis)

For now... unless you are adventurous these are for solidbody guitars or other applications where you have at least 1" deep of wood to work with (5" of paulownia or 10" of basswood LOL)

The cool thing is, the two regular STOCK straps I tried went onto the pins without too much bother. Wasn't exactly easy, but not that difficult either. Strong guitar playing toneful hands will not have an issue. I can also build my own straps to accommodate these easy.

e946fca525ccf69c517d130b2823d48e.jpg

They will be for sale soon, I'm not exactly sure of a price point, but I figure if the other guys can sell theirs for eight or ten bucks a set, I'm thinking I can set these at six plus shipping costs (which I don't know yet).
    Maybe I'll do a "buy three pairs get another pair free" kind of deal.

As of today, a set will be included with every new Well-Hung strap sold. I'll let the new strap folks test them if they wish, and I do expect some excitement from it. I may eventually raise the price of my straps a bit to build some cost in, but any current straps I have for sale right now will remain at the same price. I do hope to put them out on Reverb in the New Year as a standalone item

To some these buttons may seem like a simple, perhaps trivial thing. However, if you've ever had your guitar strap slip off a pin, or a screw pull out of your guitar you know what a heart-stopping moment of terror and anxiety it is. These pins are designed to specifically put an end to such tomfoolery, and regular folks here understand I have put quite an amount of thought and experimentation into the matter. I also have kind of have a vested interest in "guitar security" or well-hunged-ness. ;)

One silly thing, I thought I ordered a set of "black" ones with silver writing, but as will happen with those chinese folks, (even though i sent them a freakin' visual mockup), I got a set of gunmetal with silver writing, along with nickle with black writing shown above, which I happen to like a little better. Here's a pic of them both for comparison

9aff667eb3b0b6fe5eb58fae042fb16a.jpg

I'll probably include the gunmetal ones with the straps, LOL

LOL EDIT - PRO-Pins, Pro-Buttons... whatever I'm going to call them, they are good!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  2. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

Sign me up!

tvvoodoo likes this.
  3. LargeIcedCoffee

LargeIcedCoffee Well-Known Member

These are really cool, and sleek too. That's also a really nice advertisement.

arron and tvvoodoo like this.

4. budwen stevie

budwen stevie Well-Known Member

Me likey!!!! I'm in.

tvvoodoo likes this.
  5. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

Congrats for coming out of the testing phase unscathed! I love the scare tactic sales technique!

However, this is bittersweet. I shall miss the rustic D.I.Y. appeal of the Home Despot washer solution.

Attached Files:

budwen stevie and tvvoodoo like this.
  6. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

But how do I get already tight fitting strap hole on this thing......................oh that sounds so wrong =(

7. tvvoodoo

Used to be normally when i went about to yank and pull and jerk, it was usually all over well before seven minutes. :p

Jaymo, rrobbone and zisme like this.
  8. tvvoodoo

Probably so tight because of the washer system. With these, no washer required anymore. I really don't think they will come off until you want it to come off

9. tvvoodoo

You know, I was thinking - (shit gets crazy when that happens), I like these things a lot and I want to try to create a bit of buzz.
    So, here's something: If you already own a Well-Hung/Strap Attack guitar strap(s), I will offer these right now, today...

As many of my straps that you own, you can purchase sets of these at $4 a pair
    (gunmetal version only plus mailing costs).

Think it over, I'll keep that "introductory" offer up until midnight next Saturday as a reward to all my Well-Hung friends.
    I'll put up a pic of that other coloured version tonight.

10. Rokdog

Rokdog Well-Known Member

all my gits except my Charvels have Dunlop Posts/Pins/Buttons makes switching straps a snap
    the Charvels Posts are 17mm wide or .667"s a US Nickel is 21.2mm wide or .835"s

How wide are your Custom Posts/Pins/Buttons ...?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  11. Overt1

Overt1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

in front of my still shiny new iMac. Problem?
    I'll never get one but these look really good

tvvoodoo likes this.
  12. Rokdog

Rokdog Well-Known Member

13. tvvoodoo

I love that ^

OK, I'm going to say right here and now, PRO-Pins aren't for that kind of action.

BUT.... If I was going to try it, and it wasn't like -17 outside?
    I would trust these things over any brand of locking Pin, I have tried. Schaller and Dunlop anyway.

Really, that there is a probably a job for a couple of 1/4" eyebolts and some snap swivels.

budwen stevie likes this.
  14. davewrites

davewrites Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The start of something great!

I think my incoming Epi is going to be fitted with a set of gunmetal Pro-Pins.

15. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

I've got two straps, I'd like to get some! You do great stuff. Thank you :)

16. Jofa

Jofa Well-Known Member

Absolutely sign me up.

17. glasshand

glasshand Well-Known Member

Really nice-looking! I might have to order some of those. One suggestion: gold, for those of us with gold hardware?

Also, are those Robertson screw heads?

18. tvvoodoo

17mm is a good size but mine is 20 so I am more well hung.
    i experimented with posts at 17 and thought they were just fine.
    on the one Agile I owned I thought the oversize posts on it were nice too.
    I'm more taking aim at the all-too-common tiny space capsule buttons and what I view as a false sense of security some brands of "locks" provide.

I chose Robertson for a couple of reasons...

- Invented by a canuckian and they are pretty much the standard up here on the hardware shelf

- The pattern is very non-slip, secure and strip resistant. Whenever I go near my guitars with pointy metal tools in-hand, these features suddenly become very important to me.

If you dont like the pattern you can pick up your own #8 or #9 Phillips screws or what have you at whatever length you choose. I'm sending 1 3/4" but probably 1 1/2" would suffice - still far better than what's supplied stock

Gold is on my radar after i break even with nickel and the gunmetal.
    After i move fifty sets or so i'll try for pure black too I think.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    zisme likes this.
  19. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

The gunmetal looks great.
    I don't own one of your straps so could you pm to me what a set of GM pins will cost me?
    TIA

20. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

Ooh yes please. Last count I think I have 8 straps. I could probably get away with two sets for the giggers for now tho