Probably My Best P-90

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by andrewsrea, Feb 16, 2020.

1. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

@JAMES SCHAFFNER bought a B. Wright guitar from a local GC and asked me to make it shine. First, he wanted the selector moved towards the butt of the body and put the neck volume where the selector was. Then replace all the small pots with CTS Emerson A500K full-sized pots.

Last he was thinking about FB pickups, but I asked him to consider taking that in steps and lets start with sprucing up the P90s it had. They were under-wound (which I like), but howled with feedback. The neck pup was particularly clear and musical.

I went to change the magnets and noticed all components were glued together, including the cover. :(

So I wax-potted the neck pickup (@ 6.7K DCR at 74 degrees F, with ceramic magnets) and built Jim one of my AMI 'Wes' pickups for the bridge. As in Wes Montgomery, which is my take on a late 40's P-90 except somewhat wax-potted. Specs are (@ 7.3K DCR at 74 degrees F, with A4 magnets - special tension and wind pattern).

183pf cap as a treble bleed across the bridge pickup volume control and 160pf treble-bleed across the neck volume. I only had a crème cover for the vintage string spacing bobbin I used, so will order a black as soon as I find out what Jim wants as knobs.

Commentary on the guitar which was once a forum member's company. It is a light mahogany species and has nitro cellulose lacquer blue over a white Fullerplast type filler finish (I could smell the sweetness of the the lacquer when doing minor drilling and filing. I love the neck, weight, balance and overall resonance. Jim said their QC was sketchy and there were some good ones and some not so good. This one is great!

With the pickups, electronics and a set-up, it sings!

2. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

3. thepezident

thepezident Well-Known Member