Prog Rock/metal Tune

Discussion in 'Jam Room' started by Narsh, Aug 14, 2019 at 9:37 PM.

1. Narsh

Narsh Well-Known Member

This one got pretty complex.
    I put this one together over multiple nights. It was the first real "from scratch" midi drum section I've put together so I'm pretty proud of the way the intro turned out.

This was totally about some crazy insomnia I had the other night. Started to fall asleep then got startled by some thoughts followed by some new song ideas you'll hear on this tune.

Hope you guys like it and all the changes. :)

minpind likes this.
  2. Narsh

Narsh Well-Known Member

This one was recorded using my Carvin CT6, AxeFX and Raiden Bass. All Vox AC30 amps.

3. doc-knapp

doc-knapp Well-Known Member

OK, here's my honest critique:
    The drums were amazing through the entire song. You have a talent for mastering songs that I can't even come close to. Everything is so well balanced and professional that your songs always sound like they took 6 months for a professional engineer to make.
    Here's the bad part: You start off with a completely amazing blues song for the first 55 seconds and you totally fucked-up the song by having a full crash into a metal song. This isn't one song, but two completely different songs that don't go together. I'd love to hear you take the first 55 seconds and make an amazing 4 minute blues song out of it.

Narsh likes this.

4. Narsh

Narsh Well-Known Member

Ironically this is exactly the effect i was after since the song was put together by an abrupt waking up. Kinda like an alarm clock.

So “fucking up the song” was exatcly how my sleep was fucked up that night.

Mission Accomplished!

5. bleys21

bleys21 Well-Known Member

The first section sounds like it could be off of a Neal Schon solo album, super nice tone and phrasing there. The prog section reminds me of Dream Theater, which would make sense if you're going for the prog metal sound. I would agree that the bridge between the two is a bit sudden, and I get the feel you were looking for, but I'm thinking that if you made the connection between the two more gradual and ascending, it would be pretty cool.

And listen to me telling you what to do... too funny, as I couldn't do any of what you do if my life depended on it :) Good job, playing great as always!

Narsh likes this.
  6. Narsh

Narsh Well-Known Member

Definitely appreciate the feedback. And I get it but it's totally on purpose. Maybe if I dropped in some extra fx like a scream or startled breath..