Prs - Snuck Up On Me

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by OMB, Feb 12, 2019.

1. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I have a PRS SE Santana and everytime I play it. Yes I get a smile on my face. How did this company get inside my brain? How could they know what I like? PRS totally replaced any interest in LP's for me. The SE line at a significantly lower price point does it all. Beautiful cleans and if I need some scratch...that too.

The latest comes in my fav color - amber and has Coil Taps (Switch?-Never can remember) to turn it in to single coil that to my ears sounds oh so sweet. I do not know if I am willing to sell my Santana as I love the orange and the way it plays. Although I may sell my Squier Deluxe Strat but not willing to give it away. For those that may be interested here is a pic and a vid:

[​IMG]

fullonshred, DonM, tlarson58 and 2 others like this.
  2. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

Very cool, the McCarty burst/amber is my favorite PRS color too. They are really doing a lot of nice things with the SE line and that's a great addition ( the Pauls guitar ).

I can totally understand how he gets in your head...I've been able to somehow keep my PRS collection to 1 guitar, but the GAS is always strong.

OMB likes this.
  3. mighty_duck

mighty_duck Well-Known Member

I'm an unashamed PRS fanboy, so this is interesting. I have a couple of SE Custom 24's, and quite a few knockoffs from other makers.

What I like here over what I already have:
    Finally a Pattern Regular neck on an SE (ETA looks like it is just a Wide-Fat, specs are wrong on Sweetwater)
    Stoptail
    Pickups sound great
    Natural binding

What I don't like;
    $1000 for an SE :(
    Neck or headstock binding would have been nice at this price point.

I personally won't go near it at that price. Maybe if I find a used one for less than half in a few years...
    This is what I have in my office right now, it does the job for a fifth of the price.

26fbaea5b169762eebdcc1d282f5dfdc.jpg

OMB, DonM, Itsme_AJ and 1 other person like this.

4. jamdogg

jamdogg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I should have kept mine....

Mc6.jpg

Been tempted by this one, was local to me up until yesterday. Looks like someone routed it for a D-tuna - but they did a fantastic job.

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 4.31.45 PM.png

OMB, DonM and uwmcscott like this.
  5. big daddy

big daddy Well-Known Member

Beautiful axe with some great tonal variations. I'm still loving my SE 22 and it's becoming my favorite gig guitar because I can squeeze so many different tones from it. Probably won't be grabbing one of these any time soon as it's a hardtail and I really need a trem on my gigging axe.

Still... quite beautiful to look at and listen to.

OMB likes this.
  6. uglyvw

uglyvw Well-Known Member

Very nice, I too have kind of settled on PRS. The Zack Myers is the one that just instantly felt like home for me. The se line really does have some amazing jems.

OMB likes this.
  7. mighty_duck

mighty_duck Well-Known Member

Very nice! What are we looking at here?

OMB likes this.
  8. jamdogg

jamdogg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks! Top is a '06 McCarty in Santana Yellow, from Willcutts guitar shop. Dimarzio anniversary PAF in bridge, (push/pull was removed) unplated brass stop tail studs. It also had unplated brass tuners. That was a great playing instrument, but it underwhelmed me tone wise. Would love another crack at making that one work.

The bottom is a '15 SE Custom Floyd 24 in Scralet Red flame. All stock except the D-tuna. Felt and played really nice. I quite like the wide/thin neck profile and the frets were almost vintage like - not very jumbo to my fingers (i prefer smaller frets). Bridge was full float, which i thought was not how it should be for a D-tuna to work. Would not stay in tune very well. But a nice axe just the same. I would have decked the trem and called it a day.

OMB and uwmcscott like this.
  9. Flatline

Flatline Well-Known Member

My SE Custom 24 gets the most play out of all of my guitars. My only complaint is mine is a bit noisy with the volume pot at 10. At 9 no hum. At 10 I get hum. I've not bothered trying to figure out the culprit. I just play with the volume set to 9 or lower.

OMB likes this.
  10. uwmcscott

The McCarty is definitely my favorite model. I wish they made the 594 in the SE lineup, I have a Soapbar version from the core line. If they did I’d likely get a humbucker version as owning 2 core 594s would be a bit too much $$ for my gas budget.

This is my 594 as long as we are sharing pRon

[​IMG]

11. DonM

DonM Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

"I do not know if I am willing to sell my Santana as I love the orange and the way it plays."

Don't do it!

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

OMB likes this.
  12. OMB

DonM - I can't imagine selling the Santana the more I think about it. I may just wait out a "used" Paul's guitar. New with a 15% discount it would run around $850 so used...$500-$600...maybe...

13. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

The two I have owned were some of the best imports I have ever spent money on. You can tell the QC crosses the ocean.

OMB likes this.
  14. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

While I like many of Paul's design features the necks never felt quite right to me.

OMB likes this.
  15. OMB

See for me the fat wide or wide fat fits quite comfortably but I HATE skinny necks so necks are an individual thing and for 20 years all I could find was these little skinny necks. Anything with meat seemed to be hidden away or kept as an insiders secret. Lately there are more "advertised" options for folks like me. Of course PRS makes other skinny neck profiles as well for those so inclined.

16. uglyvw

uglyvw Well-Known Member

My first PRS was the SE Singlecut. When I first picked it up, I thought I had made a mistake, since the wide fat neck was substantial. After my hand got used to the profile, it's super comfy to play. My Zack Myers has the same profile and is amazing as well. The QC on both of mine was excellent. My only issue with the SE line is the inconsistency with the flame tops. I probably would not buy one sight unseen, maybe because I'm too picky, but I like for the top to be nice. Both of mine were used, so I could make sure the tops were nice.

1.jpg
    20181009_074204.jpg

17. uwmcscott

I was the same way until i played the "pattern vintage" neck on a 594. I think they had it on some of the pre 594 McCarty's too. It's very, very close to a 59 Gibson LP C-profile which is probably why I like it so much.

backinit likes this.
  18. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but PRS announced at winter NAMM the new SE Paul’s Guitar. The $1000 price tag is quite spendy, IMO but man do the pics induce major GAS! Anyone plan to pick one up? Do want! :hearteyes:

se_pauls_guitar_2019_straight.png

SEPaulsGuitar3Colors.png

19. jgauker

jgauker New Member

Are those cases a PRS case? I have an Orange SE Singlecut that came with a softcase but I wanted a hardcase and bought a PRS case for it. A little expensive and heavier than the guitar. And yes I am seriously looking at a Paul's Guitar. I like all 3 colors. I hope they are planning on offering more options on the color. I love honey bursts or lighter tobacco bursts.

20. uglyvw

uglyvw Well-Known Member

These cases are made by Wolfpak. They are soft cases with a rigid shell inside them. I really like them, lightweight but very rigid.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/WolfPak/Electric-Guitar-Polyfoam-Case.gc