Recommendations On Colorado?

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by chimi42, Jan 27, 2019.

1. chimi42

chimi42 Well-Known Member

Guys,

My wife and i will be going to Colorado in mid March (kind of decided on it last minute). Hoping people who either live there or have been there have recommendations for things to do/places to eat?

Obviously we want to go see rocky mountain national park.

I started making a list of things to do but there's a ton. We're going to be there for a week (flying into Denver) and i'm just not sure how to work out the time.

So far i'm planning on
    1-2 days in Denver
    2 days in Colorado Springs
    2 days in the Estes Park area

2. tlarson58

tlarson58 Well-Known Member

Rent 4WD with snow tires and remember: they only get you going. All bets are off once you're in a skid.

You'll only be able to see half the Natl Park because Trail Ridge Road doesn't open 'til June.

Colorado Springs: Go up the canyon a bit to Manitou Springs. WAY cool kitchy town.

Denver: Lodo, 16th Street Mall, the Capitol Building, Union Square. The Colorado History Museum is cool, but I'd knock off the others first.

I'm 3.5 hours and three mountain passes away or I would meet you. Pack for every conceivable weather scenario. March is nuts although Denver and Co. Springs do not get the tenacious swings we experience up here.

You would be remiss if you didnt check out Red Rocks Ampitheter (outside of Denver). Even if there is no show, a tour or a peek is worthwhile.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  3. caustic69

caustic69 Well-Known Member

When in Co.Springs, check out Garden of the Gods, pretty cool

4. eldos1

eldos1 Well-Known Member

The food is mild for the tours, so bring a pocket full of hot sauce from your favorite Mexican fast food chain.

In down town Denver there is the 16th Street mall. The buses that run there are free. But really one of the best places to look at what is going on for stuff is https://www.westword.com

tlarson58, caustic69 and JustinD like this.
  5. chimi42

Thanks guys! We always tend to drive a lot when we go on vacation. And agreed about the AWD.

We really want to hit up one of the towns with hot springs too (after two trips to Iceland it’s almost a given that we need to be in a hot spring on vacation)

manco53 likes this.
  6. Spike

Spike Well-Known Member

If you're into microbrews, there are plenty. Stop by Lumpy Ridge Brewing Co. It's in an old gas station. Not a lot of room but cool vibe. We also ate at a little Italian restaurant while we were there. The Dunraven Inn. It was good, not great.

Definitely check out Red Rocks while you're close. The restaurant is open until 2pm and the view is amazing!

Even though some of the roads are closed in the National Park, it is still definitely worth the drive up! Amazing views.

Enjoy the trip.

tlarson58 likes this.
  7. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Colorado doesn't open til June, does it? :)

tlarson58 likes this.
  8. chimi42

Yeah,

Let's just say this was very last minute. We had booked a flight overseas. Unfortunately my wife has a major flying phobia. One major nervous breakdown later we decided to stay a little closer to home.

9. thepezident

thepezident Well-Known Member

10. chimi42

I haven’t laughed so hard in a long time. Thank you!

11. eldos1

eldos1 Well-Known Member

12. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

This ^

13. manco53

manco53 Well-Known Member

When I was in Denver I definitely did the following:

Denver, because it’s badass

Red Rocks Amphitheater - no show, but I swung in and walked through. Tons of mojo there.

Continental Divide - not sure of the specifics (if it’s open year round) but we ventured into the mountains a bit, @tlarson58 could probably elaborate a bit more but don’t want to speak for him

Flying Dog Brewery - because Hunter S Thompson....

Stranahan’s Colorado Whiskey Distillery - I think it was right next to Flying Dog

I also spent some time in Durango around the turn of the century and that was definitely a cool old mining town.

Good luck and enjoy!

14. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

Durango and a ride on the Durango Silverton narrow gauge steam railroad was a hit with my family.

tlarson58 likes this.
  15. tlarson58

tlarson58 Well-Known Member

Lots to whitewater stuff going on here in May but there's an mass exodus to Moab in April after the mountain closes.

No matter how late summer gets here we'll never be as pasty as Cubs fans at Spring Training.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Spike likes this.
  16. Spike

Spike Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention the Stanley Hotel tour (in Estes Park) if you're into that type of thing. We did the haunted tour at night. It was just OK. There was a wedding reception going on so we didn't get to tour a couple of the bigger rooms. We did it just because we were there. I probably wouldn't do it again.

And here is a pic of the Golf Course right next to the Estes Park Welcome Center. They just came down to chill on the links. Lol.
    Golf Course Elk.jpg

STACKS likes this.
  17. chimi42

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I think my wife really wanted to see the Maroon Bells, but from everything i read it doesn't it look like that road will be open in March.

tlarson58 likes this.
  18. SalteeDog

SalteeDog Well-Known Member

I was in Denver one November for business meetings a few years ago just at the time that the polar 'bomb cyclone' hit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_2014_North_American_cold_wave

I've never experienced a temperature drop from morning to afternoon like it. And I learned that lip balm is a necessity for winter at those altitudes!

(I seem to have the misfortune of bringing bad weather every time I visit the states - a couple of years after that I was stranded in Dallas of all places during an ice storm, and back in 2002 I had to evacuate a hotel in Maine during a week of torrential rain).

tlarson58 and Mickey like this.
  19. JustinD

JustinD Well-Known Member

I went to Colorado for a wedding about a year ago. We started in Denver there we went to the Coors Brewery and Red Rocks. There were no concerts there that weekend but in the day time you can walk around there and stand on the stage so that was pretty cool. From Denver we drove to Georgetown and went on the narrow gauge rail road then we drove thorugh Breckengidge and stayed the night in Fairplay (South Park), wasn't much there but we hung out in the little local bar , it had wood burning stove and all the locals were there and was about the only thing open in the whole town at night. From there we went to Colorado Springs and stayed a few nights , went to Garden Of The Gods , Manitou Springs, Pikes Peak. We went back to Denver and stopped at Casa Bonita before heading to the airport :grinning:

20. chimi42

Thanks JustinD. We've been back and forth on what to cut out. We really want to do one of the hot springs, but most of those are further out from Denver. I DON'T want to cut out Colorado Springs.