Repurposed Things Let My Notes Ring

Discussion in 'Project Depot' started by jtcnj, Mar 13, 2018.

1. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    ok The Recipe:
    - VHT based 18w TMB chassis build parts mostly from Ubuyguitars; a Turtle with no shell,
    add 1 old subwoofer cabinet i scratch built around 1991 that I stuck the Eminence GB128 in temporarily:
    IMG_0846.-2jpg.jpg
    Note the specially modded coil cover, received from supplier at no extra cost. Basket had some special tweaks as well as some ding marks on cone = full refund and they didnt want it back. It is visibly scarred but otherwise perfect.

Mix in 1 bedroom end table donated by mom
    She has no more use for drawers or the things therein:
    IMG_0884.JPG
    Season liberally with wood glue, finishing nails, screws, a little paint, and a mix of secret spices and ingredients.
    Cut ,Chop, and Blend Thoroughly.

IMG_1482.JPG
    IMG_1483.JPG
    IMG_1472.JPG
    IMG_1474.JPG

2. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

I have el cheapo rubber feet coming to go with the el cheapo ebay handles, and have to finish the front of the amp. The grille for the speaker is around somewhere, kind of worn but not torn.
    It is a little rough fit and finish, like a road worn deal.

IMG_1484.JPG IMG_1485.JPG IMG_1487.JPG

3. Milkman

Milkman Well-Known Member

This is definitely on my "favourite builds" list.

jtcnj likes this.

4. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

Definitely cool!

jtcnj likes this.
  5. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

That is brilliant!

jtcnj and minpind like this.
  6. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

90% done, working on the exact same chassis right now from Ubuyguitars. 18w tmb. Scrounged power transformer from Sony reel to reel with perfect voltages and 6CA4 (ez81), output trans from Wollensak reel to reel, PP 6bq5's of course. This is going into a 2-10 cabinet. I bought Marshall style knobs from eBay. One thing I noticed last night was there are no numbers, so either decals under the plexi or try my hand at clear decals from the laser printer. There is a guy on Ebay selling a kit for a good price which you get the handle, feet, corners, etc. If i can find the link i will post it.

20180313_173800.jpg 20180313_173824.jpg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  7. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

Who'd have thought an old bedroom end table would make such a cool/funky foundation for an amp. Two thumbs up! (y) (y)

despiadado, jtcnj and minpind like this.
  8. Tyrannocaster

Tyrannocaster Well-Known Member

I don't know about that OT. I mean, it will work, but it's likely to be pretty wimpy for a guitar amp. However, some guys like the sound of a bleeding, under-muscled OT.

9. Tyrannocaster

Looks like a nice clean build!

jtcnj likes this.
  10. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

Very cool!

jtcnj likes this.
  11. Believer

Believer Well-Known Member

Love the cab! Wish I had the chops to build an 18 watter!

jtcnj likes this.
  12. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is one hell of a cool cabinet made out of Maw's bedside table. Genius! And green to boot!

I bought enough stuff from Ubuy guitars last year to build two 30 (or 18) watters and (3) 5E3s with some leftover parts to boot. I wish I had bought more. Last winter I built one of the 18 watters, then built a modified 5E3 using the Ceriatone Tweedle Dee (supposedly Dumble) circuit.

I had never built or even worked on a Marshall style amp before, so my wiring dress is pretty sloppy in the 30 watter , but it sounds great. I also bought one of Ubuy's matching oversized 1-12 cabs to put it in. When the cabinet arrived I wished I had bought two - really well built. I had a decent Celestian (or two) already laying around for it. I like to run the amp with a little fan in the cab blowing on the EL-84s ,which otherwise seem to generate a lot of heat to me. I also installed the Rob Robinette "Push Pull Master Volume/Cut Control Mod" - really useful. The amp really grinds way too loud for me even in 18 watt mode - it makes my ears ring if I try to play it in a small space.

The 5E3 "Tweedle Dee" turned out to be just about my favorite home-brew amp of all time. It ended up in a re-purposed Fender Hot Rod Deluxe cabinet with an Italian Jensen 12-Inch speaker in it. It has A LOT more muscle, especially in the bottom end, than a stock 5E3 circuit, and I can coax clean and dirty sounds out of it at reasonable volumes. Anybody thinking about building a 5E3 should think hard about building one of these Tweedle Dee amps, it's a much more versatile and satisfying amp than a straight 5E3. But don't get me wrong, Hoss, I love the stock 5E3 for what it is.

13. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Interesting reclamation.

14. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

@Manodano Funny you mention both of those: the amp the speaker cab is sitting on in pics 2 and 3 is my 5e3 scratch build, with some robrob mod mods as well.

The same speaker in the ported subwoofer cab vs. now in a closed cab sounds so different.
    the mid and bass are increased, the mids are pretty punchy but that by definition EQ trims the treble a bit.

I just winged it and did not worry about Thiele parameters - though I did all the calcs when I built that ported subwoofer cab.

I think that is the typical Marshall cab sound from what I have read. It seems off at low volumes I am forced to play at often, but that is a given anyway.

I cranked it up for a bit last night and it really sounded great with the Jackson Dinky with the stock Duncan Designed HSS pickups.

15. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

robrob is a hell of a resource. He knows his stuff and his advice and tips are excellent.

A pal of mine dumped some big old blown Kenwood hi-fi speakers at my house a few years ago. Sealed back and ported cabs with 12" woofers. Before I gave them away to another scrounge hound, I stuck a 12" Fender speaker in one of them and thought it sounded sort of like a Marshall cab - it had that real chest thumping thing going. Sort of a happy accident. I kept it around for a while, but I ran out of room and finally had to pass those old cabs on.

I can build an amp in my sleep but my woodworking skills are close to nil.

Believer and jtcnj like this.
  16. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

Got the front panel done, spare 1/4" fir plywood and the side panel from an old computer case.
    The panel fitment is not as close as I would have liked, but overall I am very happy with it.
    I will fill and paint the raw edges eventually.

IMG_1500.JPG
    IMG_1504.JPG IMG_1501.JPG

17. minpind

minpind Well-Known Member

Looks great (beautiful dog too)

jtcnj likes this.
  18. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

I Live creatively THROUGH you all...

minpind and jtcnj like this.
  19. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks!
    The black one is Milo, he approaches me if I am playing seated and flips my pick hand away from the guitar with his snout.

Our yellow lab Ella puts her neck across my strings around the 10-12 fret area to mute them and licks at my face.

My playing does suck but I think they just want my attention instead of me giving it to the guitar.
    At least I hope thats it, or mostly anway.

When my wife sees this, she will start whining in a cartoon like voice "please Daddy, stop making that horrible noise and come play with us".

Then she does the slain twin girls in The Shining: "Come play with us Daddy, for ever and ever and ever".
    Creeps me out.

fullonshred and minpind like this.
  20. Tyrannocaster

I've taught our dogs to come running if I play a high minor third (notes separate, high one first). If they tried to paw me when I was playing, they wouldn't get any treats, and they know it. For some reason, the Corgi likes my guitars and the amp in the living room; the Tervs could care less, but they like the treats. :)

jtcnj likes this.