Riff City Closing For Good

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by OMB, Jul 10, 2019.

1. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I received an email that Riff City was closing. They did a really nice job at marketing and trying to differentiate but he said it still wasn't enough to maintain profitable margins. I only bought one guitar (Gretsch ProJet) from them but they were easy to work with and I enjoyed their marketing emails. Makes me kid of sad to see them go. But this is the world we live in and have created. Myself included. I usually buy low price as long as someone has decent reviews and ratings. I have rarely found an independent (never one locally) dealer that was worth a hoot and certainly not one I felt obliged to pay extra for doing business with them.

So as the big keep getting bigger the small disappear. My wife's brother is closing his last Hallmark (Franchisee) Card Store in 2 weeks. Rent keeps going up, Hallmark sells to EVERYONE (Grocery stores,Walmart, DollarTree, Drug Chains, stc.) including direct. They have been screwing over their franchisees for years. The economy that everyone keeps proclaiming is so robust has never truly recovered since 2009. Sooo many of the good jobs went away to be replaced by crap jobs with no benefits and people need 2 and 3 jobs struggling to keep their heads above water. It scares me. I am stepping down from this soapbox.

All I wanted to say is take care Riff City. I will miss you.

jtcnj, LessPawl, MichaelR and 2 others like this.
  2. Olde School

Olde School Well-Known Member

Well you can blame "the economy" if you want but IMO it sounds like Hallmarks business model has gotten old. Brick and mortar stores are having a hard time competing with online businesses. Paper greeting cards are being replaced by e-cards. Just a couple of clicks and off it goes. It's progress, like it or not.

jmilch likes this.
  3. Gergo

Gergo Well-Known Member

Yeah it's progress all right. Progress for the big boys at the very top. Not so much for the average Joe blow. OMB is absolutely right. The economy is a total sham. As is the so-called American dream for the most part. Try to go up as a small business against one of the mega chains like Walmart, or Frys, or even try to go up against the huge sellers on Amazon as a smaller independent seller. The rules are skewed to help the big guys and to get you out of the way. They don't give a s***. They just want their commissions.

It got really bad in 2008 and has stayed the same. People don't get the benefits that they used to get, people have to work longer hours and have to be more of a slave to make ends meet. It doesn't matter if it's a Republican president or a Democrat in the White House or which party controls Congress. They all work for the same fat cats at the top...... And it's still the same to this day.

STACKS and jtcnj like this.

4. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

Hard to say an economy with very low unemployment and decent wage growth is based on crap jobs with no benefits. That simply isn’t true across the board, even though there are pockets, locations and industries, that are not enjoying the same success.

Riff City and Hallmark stores are two examples of shit business strategies. Riff City because they wanted to be lower priced/lower margin in a market that already had too many low priced players. They competed by selling at prices too cheap to be sustainable. Hallmark, because they sell stuff we don’t need and that we can get all over including online. I can’t remember the last time I ever thought about going to a hallmark store. Need a card? I go to a grocery store or pharmacy that I am already driving past or more likely, already going to go get something else.

5. Gergo

Gergo Well-Known Member

I think his point was how Hallmark kinda screwed over their franchises by just selling to everyone. I mean, the people who own Hallmark made a hell of a lot more money, but they did kind of throw their franchise owners under the bus. I think this sort of thing is fairly common thse days.

Hate to see Riff City go, but yeah, its a crowded market with intense competition.

6. Chocol8

Hallmark did throw the franchises under the bus, but they had to. If I go into a Wegmans or a CVS to buy a card, I don’t care what brand it is, as long as there is a card there. Hallmark had to go into all of the retail outlets they could or they would have been completely replaced by competitors without franchise stores. It sucks for the franchises either way, but there was no saving them.

Gergo likes this.
  7. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Not to mention the obvious absurd pricing for a damned greeting card. Hallmark and its franchisees milked a ridiculous business model trying to convince people you will show your love more only if you buy a Hallmark card at rip off prices. It's a piece of paper with a stupid saying for crying out loud.

jmilch and Chocol8 like this.
  8. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

Its coming. Just a few decades later than predicted...

3fb58d620081390f5ed64b34f44a3433.jpg

Gergo, jtcnj, Mickey and 1 other person like this.
  9. tonray

Where did they park the Tanks ?

10. LessPawl

LessPawl Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Gold Supporting Member

Oh man, this is a bummer. Riff City really worked hard to build their brand, and Joe (I think that's his name) sure came across like a really good guy. What's our world going to look like when the only remaining businesses that can survive are all JUMBO-TRON stores? It's tough as a consumer, because I want to support local merchants as much as I can. OTOH, when you can buy the exact same item, for 20 to 30% less and have it shipped to your front door, it's tough to ignore that. Wishing the Riff City owners and employees the best for the future.

nomadh likes this.
  11. OMB

I totally do not want to get in to any debates and many folks made good and creditable points so no sense in picking my post apart. It just seems crystal clear to me that what has transpired to our economy with regards to a true liveable income with "real" benefits has been coming for such a long time. Perhaps many of us have become insensitive unless it directly effects them. Well I have seen it happen to so many family members and friends and these folks weren't "losers". They were victims

Gergo likes this.
  12. Chocol8

Compare the standard of living today for the bottom 10-20% vs 25, 50, and 100 years ago. Today ain’t so bad.

13. OMB

Chocol8 - We gonna just have to agree to disagree and that is AOK by me sir.

14. andrewsrea

^ I had this discussion with my two twenty-something sons last weekend. The debate over a very expensive restaurant dinner (I was paying) was, that other countries have it better than the USA. There are many who believe that the quality of life in the USA has declined.

I believe perception is reality in mattesr like this one.

However, if you search "quality of life in the USA" and look for facts from credible sources, you'll see that considering health, food, shelter, time spent working, belongings, etc., quality of life has trended up over the past 3 or 4 decades.

My personal belief is that life is better for people I know and to me - that is truth.

If you believe differently, you are correct as well - because that is your perception of quality of life.

RiverDog likes this.
  15. tonray

I think some equate standard of living with quality of life. Not always in synch. I know a couple, loaded to the gills, but barely have time to breathe and are always exhausted from commuting and work, yet their standard of living is quite high. OTOH, I know people here in Bangkok, barely have 2 nickels to rub together but live a very happy and high quality life with ample family time and enjoyable work. It's all relative. And perception matters as to whether you believe that having more stuff and less time equates to higher quality of life

16. andrewsrea

Kind of my point. It all depends on what makes you happy and your reality.

17. brattmatter

brattmatter Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

18. tonray

When the design of the system of laws and rules is determined by those with money and power the result is that chart. We need strict term limits across the board. We need to make lobbying illegal to former government employees or elected officials.

Unfortunately not going to happen in my lifetime.

brattmatter and kirobhan like this.