rrobbone's Shop, Mark II, Updated 12.12.12

Discussion in 'Project Depot' started by rrobbone, Jan 26, 2011.

1. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

Yamaha SD120 project:

a3d7bedd95790c146a9fa165e05e2fff.jpg
    076a14f736b0b26ff4fa504cbc473956.jpg
    bd7ebd996e4be34c5b2a10712160f455.jpg
    d803702dcf86a2f39b53833bedcc36c5.jpg
    1912a69aa4cfece62eccf058a4f6dd59.jpg
    3a51443499a0989fd4be9079ee5ced49.jpg
    394846e20355d8d73cb2647c9029b89b.jpg
    015f854fe57d7394103cad06c1d129e6.jpg
    af8b99c923d7e1b32752dbae24f54287.jpg

That's where I am so far with this one...

STACKS likes this.
  2. cornfed

cornfed Well-Known Member

Awesome !
    that router sled you made is so cool and simple. I've been thinking about a cool simple way to make one myself so thank you for the idea.
    I have no idea what you're doing but I'm liking it :)

3. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

You got me too :puzzled: but you are always fun to watch.

4. rrobbone

I had to find a way...

As you can tell by the lil' LP project, freehanding that router wasn't cutting it anymore. No pun intended.

I knew a pro router sled was financially out of the question so I walked the aisles of Lowe's Depot looking for the solution. Twenty-two bucks later, I walked out with those two rails and two pieces of PVC. I simply clamp the PVC to the table, it stays put but it's not too locked down that I have to unclamp to adjust the rails. It's a decent solution, works well for me.

Glad to help!
    [hr]
    You know, I don't know what the hell I'm doing either. 'Cept having a little fun.

cornfed likes this.
  5. rrobbone

Moving this week. Yes... again. Finally back into a house, with room for everyone.

What this means for the shop is: instead of having to trek to my Mom's place to work on stuff, I'll have to walk all of twenty feet or so to my garage. I'll still have to do all my major cutting and shaping in the shed on the parent's homestead since that's where the power tools are, but I can do all of the art and finishing work at home - and that's the time consuming part. Much easier to do at home, no sitter required. Pegboard is already up, and once we get everything moved I'll start working and posting pics again. Since I'll be starting a new biz with my builds, I'll probably start a new thread. I won't be selling items or acting like a dealer here, but I'll be updating progress on builds and ideas like I was before. Seems like a good time for a fresh start. I haven't been able to do much for awhile despite my best efforts, and I'm looking forward to seeing if I can pull my ideas off well.

fullonshred likes this.
  6. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

Creative people often get a bad rap for not being focused and not being able to survive.
    You've proven that to be crap. For many the creative mind is a refuge against the insanity of this world, a safe place where visions are tried, tested and take form.
    It's a world that's yours and you're fortunate to have it and we are to be able to follow it.

midnightblu, rrobbone and tvvoodoo like this.
  7. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

I gotta knick that router sled idea for my new location. On my way to the new place 500 miles away I'm passing a Harbor Freight where the router was already gonna get got.

Gonna have my own garage work space in addition to the man-cave inside.

Keep up the good work rrobbone. Love your updates. Always inspiring.

rrobbone likes this.
  8. gt5litre

gt5litre Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new home for the family and you. Glad you will now have a convenient workspace.

Brent

rrobbone likes this.
  9. tvvoodoo

you been through a lot of crap man, nice to see things settling out for you into domestic bliss or a reasonable facsimile. I'm still toying with that bloody dismembered barbie doll idea, if you are into it. :grin:

rrobbone likes this.
  10. rrobbone

Thanks everyone for your continued support. I can't tell you how much I enjoy your ideas, thoughts, and responses. I can't wait to get started with my little projects. I've got plenty of ideas that I'm very excited about, concerning both the guitars and also their promotion. Just gotta get through the hard part now - scraping the capitol together to get started.

You can't steal something that's given freely. It has worked really well for me so far, and like my plumbing pipe spray rig - is dead simple and cheapish to boot. Enjoy! Stay tuned for more half assed cheapskate workarounds!

TV:

Been thinking on that. The issue with that is having to carve deeper into the wood to get enough plastic in there for what we want seen to be recognizable. I have a very little room in the depth of the guitar body to play with (I'm experimenting with the Yamaha to see if I can go deeper and have thicker items in the resin). I could cut away to the normal depth and then route away extra where the dolls go, but I'm not so sure that wouldn't take away from the impact of it. Maybe the hair could be used to hide things a bit, but how the hell would I manage that in rapidly hardening resin without introducing the dreaded bubbling?

(i just realized this is a public thread. Nobody knows WTF we're discussing here.)

What about that "sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll" theme? If you don't want to do it for yours, I'm gonna ask your permission to use that idea in my store. I love the notion, and could run with it. Although, I'd have to talk to customs, some of the things I'd want to use might raise suspicion in an x-ray machine at the border.

11. tvvoodoo

What if a guy was able to split the limbs, torsos, and heads in two? That give enough room? you could soak them in blood or use bits of clothes (lingerie of course) to hide the editing. IN my mind's eye , I see bloody body parts stacked random, or sorted out in a psychotic method, maybe up to four dolls or so, but I do get what your are saying. Maybe a fellow would just end up having to make a series of guitar molds, and pour that shit like crazy. Speaking of which, Ok, I think I need to go back to the mental drawing board - If I brought something like that into town, people might start to look at me funny.

I'm sure that would be ok if the sex drugs and rock and roll stayed on your side of the border, that;s where most of it comes from anyway. Us Canadians are generally boring clean living folks, (with Rob Ford and his Toronto minions being the national exception).