rrobbone's shop thread, updated 11.08

Discussion in 'Project Depot' started by rrobbone, Aug 11, 2009.

1. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

I have decided to end the other refinishing thread I had, mainly because I shelved one of the guitars I was working on and have completely gone back to square one on the other.

This new refinish thread will feature the Washburn I'm starting over with:

[​IMG]

You could never tell by looking, but this started it's life as a superstrat.

It was looking so nice when I took that picture. *Sigh.* Sorry guys, but it doesn't look like that anymore. The touchup paint I used on the striping smeared with the clear and fubar'd the whole job enough to have to start over despite having held up perfectly during my test runs. It's almost sanded back to bare wood at this time. Yes, I'm very disappointed about it. Many words were loudly uttered that aren't suitable for polite conversation. Moving on...

This thread will also feature a rewiring mod I'm doing on my STL. This is my very first rewiring job, so I'm sure there will be a few laughs at my expense. Oh, well. We all gotta learn sometime. Here's the STL getting ready for the operation:

[​IMG]

In a surprise development, I picked up another guitar to add to this madness. It's been calling to me for weeks, so I decided to make an offer on it today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know why, but like my Explorer, I just had to have it.

It's a bone stock Dean X Series V in Braziliaburst. Grover tuners, maple/rosewood neck, basswood body and the rest doesn't matter anyway because it is probably all going to be replaced (unless a Dean fanatic tells me that these pups are killer or something). The wiring and pups are working, and the body has a few dings here and there, but it's in terrific shape for a pointy guitar that's been in a pawn shop for at least 5 months. I would consider keeping the finish it has, but I can't. If you look closely, you can see that the holes for the string routes through the body are way off center (again, Dean afficionados, please tell me if this is supposed to be this way, I'm thinking it's not). I'll have to fill the holes and redrill new ones where they belong. I'm not afraid of a drill press, so it's something I can handle. I'm considering routing for a Floyd, but I'll have to do some research on that to see if it's within my woodworking skills. Other than that, I had planned to dye the fretboard, but I kinda like the grain it has. I have no ideas as to the new finish or pups. I'll probably just replace the basic electronics and try these pups first. Suggestions welcome.

The pawn shop had a sticker on it that read $399.99. Below that was a handwritten sticker saying $299.99. Under that was a bald headed man sayin, "bullsh*t." The clerk offered assistance and I told him that they might be thinking the guitar was a different model than it is. He argued, I started to walk away. He lowered to $200. I countered with, "for $20 more, I can buy a new one." The clerk then told me that $200 was what they paid for it. Again, I started to walk away. No pawn shop in the world is gonna start negotiations at the price they paid for something. I've sold guitars to pawn shops before and there's no way in hell they paid $200 for this Dean. This guy was F.O.S.

At this point, the manager got involved and I pointed out the differences between the Korean made V and the American one, as well as the fact that the guitar wasn't in playable condition due to the bridge missing some pieces. I paid $75 out the door and was invited to return when I wanted another guitar. They probably *still* made $25 on the deal.

I also have this KY1 sitting here in my office that hasn't thrilled me so far. It's nice, but it needs something:

[​IMG]

It was a craigslist find for $100. The trem scrapes the interior cavity so its going to get to know the dremel very soon. THe bridges on these aren't supposed to be floating, are they?

I'm open to suggestions about how to finish and equip all of these guitars, so feel free to chime in. All constructive comments are welcome.

[Edited on 11/9/2010 by rrobbone]

2. ultralight23k

ultralight23k New Member

Tuesday morning and not much time to type but man that washburn was nice, sorry to hear it was fubar'd. I'm sure bpd may have a few words on that. i think you should stay on the color theme and design.

the ky1, i think that's a common defect on those with the trem rubbing. take the trem out open the cavity a bit then do a flat finish all around. imo that'd be sweet.

3. tomringg

tomringg Well-Known Member

Your office is a tree?:D

Sounds like some good fun to be had with these projects. I look forward to the developments.

4. Punisher

Punisher Active Member

Hey, don;t pick on him because he's really short and makes cookies! :naughty:

5. dspellman

dspellman Well-Known Member

Sure. He's a little squirrelly and people think he's a bit of a nut, but his root philosophy is that when he barks out orders no one leaves the branch office until they're done. He's no sap.

I crack me up.

6. guitaress

guitaress New Member

Can't wait to see what turns out!

7. foilcurtain

foilcurtain Active Member

nice dean find!

jeez man, you got 4 guitars you're working on? WOW.

[Edited on 8/11/09 by foilcurtain]

8. Geoffrey Charles

Geoffrey Charles Well-Known Member

Ohhh a Flying V! :bigthumb:

9. rrobbone

Only when I'm in the doghouse.

You guys are a riot.;)

10. TheJerk

TheJerk Active Member

These circuits are pretty simple, if you've got a basic knowledge of electronics, you can go a long way. If you have no knowledge of electronics but can look at a picture, you can get by just fine.

Sorry to hear about the smears, it was so awesome... but you've got pics to show it, so now you can make it into something else just as awesome! Consider it "transient art", like sidewalk paintings, artistic food/cakes, acting, and dare I say... music!

11. rrobbone

That's me perfectly. I am following the diagrams I have looked up. I have no desire to learn electronics beyond the technique of soldering. I'm still mad that I can't find a wiring diagram for a Gibson BFG LP. I think I might have to have a local luthier draw it up for me.

As for the Washburn: I don't know if you can call it art, but it was pretty transient.

That's okay. I'm bummed, but I learned a technique I will use again and expand on.

All condoloences appreciated.

12. KnightHawk63

KnightHawk63 New Member

Forget the string ferrule holes on the Dean and just route that whole thing out for a floyd. That braziliaburst finish is mighty purdy too!

13. rrobbone

I'll have to do a couple test runs first on some scrap, but I am seriously considering the floyd. I'll have to look at the wood inside the cavities to see how solid it is. It looks from the outside like the body is three piece and the rout would go through a join. Prolly won't make a difference, but still. Either way, I'll have to fill the old holes.

I want to save the finish, but I don't think I'll be able to. The Braziliaburst is very nice, but remember it's a pawned guitar. It's taken a few hits. Too many nicks and pits.

[Edited on 12-8-2009 by rrobbone]

14. rrobbone

"They say time always changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." - Andy Warhol

Didn't do much tonight, just disassembled the Dean V. It's amazing considering how long these things take to make, that it takes less than 15 minutes to take them apart. I normally assume that the first thing I want to do to a guitar with a rosewood fretboard is dye it darker so that I have an easier time picking out complimentary colors for the body. Black is easier to match up nicely than a light brown.

I just can't bring myself to cover this grain, could you?

[​IMG]

It needs to be cleaned and conditioned a little more thoroughly, but it's nice. It stays.

It's a shame that I won't be keeping this finish. It really is very nice for being on an inexpensive guitar. There are too many nicks and dents, plus the fact that I'll either be routing or drilling into the body after filling some holes, so it's going to go.

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of the back with the control cover off:

[​IMG]

What's funny here is that little sticker on the cover. It says "quality control team, USA inspected" and is initialed by J.B. If I had QC passed this guitar, I wouldn't have signed my full name either. The string ferrules are off by at least an inch and the solder joints looked like they were made while someone was smokin a joint. Way to go, J.B., this Bud's for you...

And almost 15 minutes later, we have pieces.

[​IMG]

I still need to remove the bridge post holders and string ferrules, but I just don't want to deal with that tonight. I'm still open to suggestions for electronics for the V and the Washburn. Please keep in mind that I'm not cheap, but I am frugal. No crazy boutique prices, k?

15. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Well-Known Member

Left The Beatles' home for some Krispy Kremes...
    I might not be saying much in here but I'm definitely enjoying following things as they progress. Just the right amount of pics and you're keeping the narration interesting.

Keep it up mate :)

16. rrobbone

I'm glad you're enjoying it, Tsuki. Keep your chin up, things will get better. Not sure if can do much from here, but if I can...

Cheers.

17. rrobbone

Yeah, well I'm better at refinishing them than I am at playing the damn things. Still looking for a quality instructor, you know.

At any rate, My STL just needs assembly (I will post pics), I still have the KY1 in one piece, my Yammy acoustic is always there, and I still have this:

[​IMG]

That will never be touched by tools or palm sanders. I'm not the most educated when it comes to guitars, but I know when not to f*ck with something. ;)

18. davidicus

davidicus New Member

good luck to you with these projects! Its gonna get expensive quick doing them all at once. I dont know how you do it. One at a time is enough for me ;)

Looking forward to more posts. This definitely makes the fav list.

[Edited on 12-8-2009 by davidicus]

19. rrobbone

It is not a cheap hobby to have, but I could do worse. I used to be hardcore into gaming which is just as expensive, but with guitars I have something tangible and enjoyable to show for it besides XBox Achievements. Also, my 'mistakes' can be sold to defray some of the cost. It's difficult to sell 360 'trophies.' I still play games, but not nearly as much. I have a copy of Fallout 3 I bought on release day, but haven't gotten more than 2 hours of play into. There was a day when I'd be on my third playthrough by now.

It's not too expensive when you consider the refinished bodies need long time periods to gas out in between coats of paint, sealer, and clear. That's the reasoning behind having several projects. I'm impatient as all hell, so having another guit waiting in the wings while another dries cures my ADD-like tendencies and forces me to take things at the pace they need to be done properly for the results I want.

Otherwise, it'd be more like:

It's Krylon! It's done! YAY! NEXT!

[​IMG]

And that would be really expensive.

To my pride.

:uh:

20. Geoffrey Charles

Geoffrey Charles Well-Known Member