rrobbone's shop thread, updated 11.08

Discussion in 'Project Depot' started by rrobbone, Aug 11, 2009.

1. davidicus

davidicus New Member

loving the progress rob.

I have to ask tho - why are you using cloth for the V project again? It seems like you could just paint directly on the wood, no?

2. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

That's a fair question.

I really liked the way the Washburn turned out. From far away you couldn't really tell that it had anything but a photo or paint job sealed in. But when you got really close to it, you could see the weave of the fabric. The only thing I might have done different with it would've been to take some sandpaper and distress it a bit so it would stand out even more. I'm gonna try that idea on the V.

I really dug that look I got on the Washburn and think that if I had that guit out somewhere it would cause someone to look twice.

It also helps that I've worked with the paint I'm using before, and on fabric so I'm familiar with it. These acryllics are meant to be on wood, but I wouldn't know how to get rid of the brush marks before a clearcoat. Maybe that would be an interesting texture too.

Not to mention that this process produces a somewhat unique result. I've heard and read about guitars with cloth covered finishes, but other than the Washburn, I've never seen another.

Perhaps most importantly, the mystery of airbrushing technique continues to elude me.

Really, I'm terrible at it.

I'd sooner trust this guy with the airbrush:

[​IMG]

YAY!

[Edited on 11-9-2009 by rrobbone]

3. davidicus

davidicus New Member

LOL!

fair enough.
    To be honest, I dont think most projects are done with spray guns. Most tutorials I see are done with good-ol painters tape and spray paint cans. Lots of spray paint cans. :uh:

I must say I am definitely living vicariously through your experimentations though - especially since youre using acrylics. I wanted to paint my next project using acrylics but I heard that since they are water based that they dont react well to the oils that are in wood and the lacquer you have to spray over them.

*growls at umpteenth INTERNAL SERVER ERROR recieved while posting.*

4. Geoffrey Charles

Geoffrey Charles Well-Known Member

5. rrobbone

That's the great thing about this technique. I can use acrylics because they won't touch the wood, they are on fabric. THe clear would normally screw them up, but I'm slathering on Minwax sanding sealer in between to give me a smooth surface for the clear.

This has worked on all of my test runs.

But, then again, so did the enamel I used on the Washburn.

We'll see...

6. xdrugfreejonnyx

xdrugfreejonnyx New Member

i LOL'd at the office space reference.

7. rrobbone

"Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it." - E.B. White

Got some green down!

[​IMG]

It's a bit darker than I was expecting. That's accurate to the plane I'm drawing inspiration from, but I wanted a more weathered look. As you can see, the paint is not quite opaque, so multiple coats are needed.

Here's a closer look at one coat:

[​IMG]

Again this shows the cloth's weave showing through a bit. I hope to keep that quality.

I added two more coats for more complete coverage, but the texture of the cloth was starting to become a little too faint. I grabbed some 220 and very lightly went to work on it. What I got was a kind of green denim look to the fabric. The aluminum paint coats aren't really showing at all. I was hoping that they would give a slight metallic look to the green, but even with the sanding step it just looks white underneath.

[​IMG]

What's really cool is how the top feels to the touch. It's almost like a microfiber cloth feel. It's gonna get clearcoated, so that doesn't matter.

So now I need to lay down the guide for the plane's ID number and the nose art. I decided to start with the number, mainly because I had an inkling as to how I wanted to get it done. This is still not the case for the nose art. I'm still stumped about that, save for the unattractive option of freehand.

I took the template for the numbers and cut them out with an xacto knife. Then I placed the template on the guitar body and traced around it for reference.

[​IMG]

Here we have the pencil reference tracing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some would call the above shot 'out of focus.' A pro photog would say that it was a 'soft focus shot.'

Whatever, it's a sh*tty camera...

I'm trying a new type of tape for my masking called Frog Tape. Never heard of it before, but I believe it's being used in GeoffreyCharles' refinish thread with good results, so I'm giving it a shot.

[​IMG]

As you can see, I'm trying to use as many simply shaped cuts of tape as I possibly can. The middle of the numbers will have to be cut out with an Xacto and a very light touch. This is another nice side effect of doing a 'distressed' finish - if I f*ck it up with a knife, the nick will look like it was done as part of the distressed look. I still think that Fender's Relic line is from a marketing whiz who was on a factory tour and saw a worker drop a guitar. Don't trash it - call it relic'd and sell it at a huge markup!!

More tape...

[​IMG]

Looks like I missed a spot between the three's, but that area is right over the pickup rout, so no sweat.

Time to paint and pray...

[​IMG]

This is after two coats of white over the tape. I'll do a few more coats tonight. I'm debating about whether I should run some sandpaper over the numbers. I'm also considering how I could put some texture on the green behind it all, perhaps to make it look like it's been assembled. A few rivet lines, maybe.

Hmmm...

[​IMG]

8. Geoffrey Charles

This is getting interesting...

9. davidicus

davidicus New Member

freakin rad. :bigthumb:

That cloth is actually going to make it look like plate metal i think. It might look cool to put X's on the "hull" like they did for every enemy they killed. Are you planning anything for the headstock?

Whatever you do, ill be watching this one closely.

10. rrobbone

On the bombers' hulls, they painted little bombs - one for every mission. I am researching what the 96th bomb logos looked like, but I'm coming up empty. I might have to whip something up. I do plan on putting those (the Dragon flew 12 missions as far as I can tell) mission markers somewhere on the guitar.

As for the headstock... Right now the plan is to keep it as is. I like the winged Dean logo. It seems fitting somehow. I'm willing to consider ideas though.

11. foilcurtain

foilcurtain Active Member

the winged idea sounds good. Keep the dean logo.

I am catching up, and boy did it take long to read the last of the 2nd and the 3rd pages! Great work! :bigthumb:

12. rrobbone

Hey, I'm like CNN tonight - frequent updates!

Put on a few coats of white, should be an interesting texture because the fabric weave isn't visible at all under the paint anymore. It stands to reason:

Three coats of white base
    Three coats of green
    Two coats of aluminum
    Three coats of white for letters

No wonder you can't see fabric!

[​IMG]

Also pictured is the Xacto knife I use to score the lines in between the tape and the paint before I peel it. This prevents the paint layer from coming up with the tape as it's peeled.

And the first number is revealed...

[​IMG]

I placed the smaller pieces of tape on top of - and overlapping - the larger pieces. This helps me get the smaller pieces off without having to resort to picking at them because when removed, the larger strip underneath pulls the smaller bits with it. Also, it helps to peel the tape away from the paint. You get sharper lines this way. Above all, take your time!

And some more...

[​IMG]

The scratch on the three was from the blunt end of my Xacto knife, and from my blunt end not remembering to be careful. I used a white art eraser to remove it.

I did have some bleed through where I overlapped pieces of tape, but other than that the Frog tape did a good job on a slightly uneven surface. It's not cheap, but it's worked well so far. You can see the sharp lines in contrast with the uneven surface the tape had to adhere to.

[​IMG]

I could get rid of the overlap, but I'll work with it instead. I took a small brush and painted green over the white spots I don't want showing, only one layer so the white is still visible. The white was way too bright at this point so I sanded the whole body down with 220 very lightly - making sure that I went across the white and green together. This dulled the white a bit, but I think I'll still mix a very small amount of yellow thinned into the medium to age it a bit. The guit is supposed to be a tribute to a place in time and I want that reflected. I may even get that done tonight.

Here's the numbers as compared to the bomber's tail:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the numbers are bright. They look like paper cutouts laid over the guitar. They need to be toned down. A lot. I also changed the spacing (or kerf, if you want to get all technical) of the numbers and also the font a bit, so they would all stand out a little better.

I'll age them tonight.

And where's the Washburn during all of this...?

Hmmm...

:naughty:

[Edited on 18-9-2009 by rrobbone]

13. rrobbone

Well, that was easy.

I took some of the textile medium (which is clear) and mixed a much smaller amount of maize yellow into it and washcoated the numbers - going behind the brush with a paper towel so that the paint was only down for a second or two.

Here's halfway done, the '133' is still white:

[​IMG]

Now it's finished. I don't know if the camera picked it up, but that extra step made all the difference.

[​IMG]

Now it looks like an Army serial. I'll have to remember to do this to everything I paint on this guitar. It really makes a huge difference.

I think I'm going to redesign the nose art a little bit. The original has some irregularities and I think that if I'm going to have to freehand it anyway, I might as well take a few liberties with the design, spruce it up a bit.

That's my next step.

14. Geoffrey Charles

15. Sleestak

Sleestak New Member

Maybe you could use a mock up of official US flight wings, or maybe a bronze or silver star if any were issued to the crew. I still have my dad's bronze star from WW2, and it would look killer on a headstock.

This is just the coolest thread I have ever seen. i love what you are doing.

As for any other ideas for the guitar, I have only two words:

Invasion stripes.

[​IMG]

16. Rick In Pa.

Rick In Pa. Well-Known Member

Hey Rob, this is looking awesome and you are doing a great job, needless to say. Btw, what's up with the top right corner of the 2nd 3? Why is it "squared off" when the other two 3's are "notched" in the top right corner? Just curious what the reasoning behind that is. Also, I'm using the frog tape on my project and it's working well for me too. It didn't seem to stick very well at first but once I really got it down and smoothed it out with my finger it formed a good bond, I guess you could say, and hasn't budged since. Can't wait to see this project move on, it's a fun one!

17. Perfect Stranger

Perfect Stranger Well-Known Member

Simply amazing! :bigthumb:

18. SharkUSMC

SharkUSMC Active Member

Not Rob, but it appears to me that the corners of the 3's that aren't notched are over a pickup cavity, so will be removed when he does the final cutting and removes the last of the excess cloth. You should be able to see it fairly well in the pic above where he lays the actual photo of the tail numbers on the surface of the guitar.

19. shizengiggles

shizengiggles Well-Known Member

Truly amazing work Rob!!:bow:

20. Rick In Pa.

Rick In Pa. Well-Known Member

Ah! Good point! I didn't even think about that. Thanks :bigthumb: