Rv Christmas

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by PsychoCid, Dec 25, 2018.

1. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas all! I hope you're having wonderful food & fun with your families. Thank you for all the cameraderie over the years.

I thought I'd give a quick update on my travels. The RV made it about 50 miles from home, and then short circuited frying a battery that was brand new a few hours prior.

It's a shame, as it hadn't given me a lick of trouble carving through the LA hills on the way home, or picking it up for AAA inspection, or picking up @Mossman - but the morning we were loading the battery died, and then later the car wouldn't start for a brief second.

Ed may have seen the anxiety grow on my face as we were chatting in front of his place, because although I felt great that morning now the trip had an omenous feel.

But, it died at a gas station. And I DIDNT just spend $100 to fill it up, which is how my Trans Am died :D so hey I saved $100 there.

And I got to camp in the RV for Christmas Eve night, and wake up in it Christmas day. I entertained myself with a solar powered radio and ate peanuts I'd packed. I had propane for heat and stovetop cooking, and I had a bigger solar generator for laptops and cell phones. I mean, I really could have
    survived right there by the gas station.

But, my goal was to get to Oregon. So ahead I plowed, after a good night's sleep (and anxiousness). First thing in the AM, I called U-haul who hooked me up in 10 mins...and was literally across the street from where I broke down.

It took me just under an hour to move all my belongings from the RV to the Uhaul myself. Left at 10am sharp and arrived in Williams 430pm for my rest stop. Here I got a hotel for one night, and plan to leave no later than 8am. This'll put me through the icey path to Oregon at high noon (warm as it's gonna get, 36F...then colder for several days).

Once I arrive, I'll throw my stuff in a storage place for a month while I figure things out. I'll stay with Mom, and call down to see if someone can repair the RV. If not or if it's too expensive, I'm just gonna buy a new one up north.

So here's the shot of the RV that got me through one night, and the view from where I slept:

IMG_20181211_185733621.jpg IMG_20181225_100321696.jpg

Last, here's a pic I took for @Mossman to explain the difference between a highway and a freeway. To my Los Angeles vernacular, a highway is small (1-3 lanes) and usually surrounded by dirt. Whereas a freeway is large (4-10 lanes) and usually surrounded by dense city. It's a significant difference, to me. Because they're significantly different driving experiences. :)

Cheers all.

2. PsychoCid

Bumpy lumps

3. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

Good move ditching the RV for now. I figure a mechanic that is any good probably doesn’t have to work on Christmas.

If you are serious about the RV thing, you may want to study up and learn to be your own mechanic.

manco53 and STACKS like this.

4. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

You may also want to watch "Lost in America":

5. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

My guess is probably something simple like a voltage regulator or alternator - had it been on and long road trips prior to yours? Bummer that it happened but probably best that it happened quickly before you got too far into things. Merry Christmas!

6. Rokdog

Rokdog Well-Known Member

off to a rough start,
    though it's best to get the bug's worked out close to home before it becomes....

Enjoy the ride !

Chocol8 and PsychoCid like this.
  7. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

As a teen I did many cross country RV trips w my grandparents and we never did 1 long trip without something electrical blowing out. Usually an isolation something I think. After 15 years I remember the firewall looking like swiss cheese as every replacement had a different mounting bolt pattern.
    I was thinking they finally got that shit figured out by now.
    I think none of it was hard. Keep a meter and a few spares and keep rocking.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    PsychoCid and STACKS like this.
  8. PsychoCid

Thanks guys. I'm a quasi decent backyard mechanic, but no electrician experience or training. Not even soldering.

I'd only done 20-30 mile trips before. Based on the behavior of the car, I don't think it's an alternator. It blew out by turning on an interior light. Smashing the gas pedal would kill the radio, as would turning on the lights. Halfway through that 50 mile trip, I tried turning brights on which killed the dashboard. Tried it second time, dashboard comes back and bright headlights with it.

I also have experiencing chasing down a shorted electrical circuit in a 1979 Trans Am. It took me 4 weekends just to FIND it, and it turned out to be something I'd already tested 3 times before. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. That's the way electrical stuff goes.... And that's why mechanics tend to charge for a LOT of hours to find & fix electrical.

It may not even be one short. It could be an entire RVs worth of 35 year old wiring. I also think this explains why everything else was new or cleaned, like appliances and carpets. I think the guy was intentionally trying to offload his lemon. Anyway, I'll have someone look at it and if it's easy, great. If not...BAD DECISIONS MAKE GOOD STORIES.

The only reason I got a motorhome was to tow the Miata behind it, but that turned out to be way over weight. So my lesson learned is keep them detached - get a nice truck, and nice camper. That way I can still run around without carrying an entire house if I wanna get groceries or something.

9. PsychoCid

IMG_20181225_155238492_HDR.jpg

Oh btw this is the picture left out of the first post that was taken for @Mossman

This is what Los Angeleans call a "highway." A highway is a small street with no stoplights. 1-3 lanes and usually surrounded by farm or dirt.

Conversely, "freeways" have 4-10 lanes. Big massive things that run through major cities like LA and NY. In either case, it's only proper to precede the freeway # with the word "the." As in, the 5, or the 101 freeway.

[​IMG]

Oddly, Google & Quora have a slightly different take below. But it's saying essentially the same thing, a freeway is a bigger faster highway with less stuff in the way...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    Bubba Zanetti and toomanycats like this.
  10. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ah yes I love getting out on an adventure, have fun and be safe as possible.

PsychoCid likes this.
  11. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

I'd guess voltage regulator I've replaced a couple in my mid to late Ford trucks, but electrical gremlins are my least favorite part of working on my truck. (which explains why I never removed the rats nest that is my remote ignition disarm.)

One day I'll just do a total overhaul of the writing and install a Painless kit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tvvoodoo and PsychoCid like this.
  12. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

If it does need a rewire job, I suggest you go with the 50s wiring scheme, That way, when you turn down the dash or interior lights, the headlights won't dim...:)

13. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

Another good visual reference. This is a Los Angeles freeway:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  14. cottonmike

cottonmike Well-Known Member

Walter White could fix that shit with a few papers clips and some super glue.

Seriously though, praying for your safe travels.

fullonshred and PsychoCid like this.
  15. PsychoCid

My grandpa LITERALLY fixed a corvair with paper clips and a rubber band. He could fix anything with anything before dementia. What a Craftsman.

@Mossman also pointed out how we call it a freeway, and yet the cops are labelled 'highway patrol.'

At least I don't wear the Porch shades anymore. Now it's more Don Draper. Incidentally, Draper is now the road of my reference address.

fullonshred likes this.
  16. PsychoCid

Would you believe I fit 8 guitar cases in that sucker?

Not very well, but fit they did...hell, I had 3 guitars in the bathroom.

manco53 likes this.
  17. PsychoCid

Road music. Listening to @toomanycats this AM put me in the mood for:

My crime is time, and it's 18 and life to go.

fullonshred, BrianSkeezer and Chocol8 like this.
  18. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

I was all over that album when it came out. Saw them on that tour at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse NY on March 9th, 1989, opening for Bon Jovi. The very next night Skid Row played an unscheduled show at the Lost Horizon, Syracuse's premier rock/metal dive bar. Blew the roof off that place.

19. manco53

manco53 Well-Known Member

Good luck and safe travels!!

PsychoCid likes this.
  20. PsychoCid

Murphy's law has been in heavy effect on this trip.

It will be worth it to arrive to this front yard though:

download_20181226_122215.jpg

honyock likes this.