Saturated Markets?

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by deeaa, Oct 17, 2019.

1. redman

redman Active Member Supporting Member+

I guess lucked out I just sold my Gretsch Electromatic for my asking price with just some word of mouth advertisement.

2. Aullucci

Aullucci Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this is happening in other areas, but I see more and more people around here on CL and FB trying to flip their cheap Asian imports for profit. Some of the people buying one of every color are immediately listing them for resale. There's one guy with 4 of the firefly LP Jrs and he listed them at $250/each because he says they're 'as good or better than an Epi.' Someone else has a couple of the 335's and is selling them for $300/each and comparing them favorably to used Dots. I see those ads pretty regularly, so I don't think anyone is biting, but adding supply to the used market is naturally going to pressure prices down across the board.

3. Hoser

Hoser Well-Known Member

I guess at the end of the day, at this time if we wanna get rid of gear, especially Asian made we are going to have to do so at a considerable loss. I have a post up here about trading in at GC, which is looking better since I can't move anything on any other site.

guitaro and Fat Jack like this.

4. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

I've felt the fast food market was saturated since about 1980 but they just keep on building McD's, BurgerKing's, etc.

I've wished for many years the LEFTY guitar market would get saturated, but have yet to
    see any signs of it happening!

5. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

You just need to sell at a realistic price.

6. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Add red and white and you must be up around 80%. I dont think there is anything that would be harder to sell than a black, white or red strat

tonray likes this.
  7. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Especially Fiesta Red....WTF is with that God Awful shade ? If it were Candy Apple Red..OK but Fiesta Red is like someone spilled tobasco all over your guitar

nomadh likes this.
  8. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Check out offerup and letgo. There are 100s of off brand cheap acoustics usually listed as "brown and black guitar" I guess that's the default description.
    One time I ran into that description and it was a gibson faded sg. Listed at about $400 or so. Listed with no real desc. I take a shot and offer $150.
    He shoots back "dude it's a real gibson".
    I tell him, "maybe you should describe it better" the guy knows what it is. Weeks later still "a brown and black guitar"

stevebway and tonray like this.
  9. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I would have offered a black and tan, and if he didn't accept that time for black and blue.. Haha

stevebway and nomadh like this.
  10. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

All 3 of my AL's were bought used , a 3010se root beer no case for 265 with shipping from GC , a 25oo with case 225, an oceanburst 3100 practically unplayed with case 240 shipped. Also got an Ibby AS83 for 220 shipped. These are leftys and not nearly as saturated as the rightys. Used gear tends to sell best at 60 to 70 % of new.

11. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yup here its coffee shops, just in the last year its been Starbucks, Dutch Brothers and Duckin donuts.

honyock likes this.
  12. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

I love Fiesta Red and Tobbasco!

stevebway, tobijohn and Gfurman like this.
  13. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

Used to be that in the the US, August was flaming red-hot for the music market both used and new. Mostly due to gigging players starting new bands and needing gear for the gigs they booked. Then live music really dived in the 2000's and hasn't recovered.

October to December was then then the hot market, followed by February through April for tax refunds. Now selling stuff is spotty. Luckily I buy to keep and rarely sell.

The big guitar manufacturers deny this, but culture and math say it is only a matter of time that supply and demand are at odds. Gibson, Fender & PRS are making about 36,000 guitars a year. Let's conservatively assume the rest of the world make an equal amount annually,the guitar production has been going strong since 1965 and 5% of all guitars ever made end as scrap. That puts 3.7M guitars and growing out there. Couple with the 'collecting' thing that has happened (I know - not here), just like the toy train market as people die off - their estates flood the market with supply.

Couple that we are in what I call the 7th order ripple of Elvis, Chuck Berry and the Beatles. In 1964, everyone wanted guitars and interest in guitar based music has ebbed and tide in a downward trend ever since. So there are less young people wanting a guitar today, then when I was a kid (as a count, not % or the population).

Eventually, Supply is going to be too high and demand too low. Is that time now?

14. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

Yeah. Dutch Bros hit Tucson last year and they have taken over my side of town.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

15. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yea when they first opened there was a line of cars snaking around the building. That's how it always is here anyway, everyone goes after the opening for a while then it slacks off. What kills me is Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts are wall to wall on the same corner but two completely different buildings. A true test of popularity in the long run scenario for the bean counters.:coffee:

honyock likes this.
  16. golem

golem Well-Known Member

I definitely of the same school of thought of @andrewsrea for the market long term. I haven't had too much trouble buying and selling guitars this year. I may a bit pickier moving forward.

andrewsrea likes this.
  17. Beyer160

Beyer160 Well-Known Member

We had that here a few years ago, until someone started putting up spoof ads for the pawnshop listing all their items at half price. After a couple days of that they stopped posting entirely.

I met a guy who went around buying up used MI gear in the US, which he would then put in a container and ship to his family music store in Columbia.

Don't forget about the flood of cheap credit in the last few years- you can now get 48 months no interest at all the major retailers. A lot of people can't afford a $2500 LP, but $52 a month is much more manageable. I'm sure this is a nice boost on the balance sheets, but it's a bubble that won't be sustainable- you can sell me a Gibson on 48 month terms this year, but you won't sell me another one next year. A lot of these are finding their way onto the used market, too. I agree there's a tipping point, and I think it's going to come sooner rather than later.

nomadh and andrewsrea like this.
  18. Mikesr1963

Mikesr1963 Well-Known Member

I've only got 4 guitars out of 23 or 24 that I've paid full price for. Otherwise I try to pay around 25-50% of what I can get it at a store or Musician's Friend. People hate low-ballers, but you can always say no. I look out for me when buying because I've never found anyone looking out for me when I'm selling gear. You determine what you will make or lose when you buy, not when you sell. It's what I was taught as a kid and I've always tried to stick with it. Particularly on items that have little to no value when times get tight.

AnotherJim and guitaro like this.
  19. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

Well saturated or not, am selling this baby tomorrow for 550 - damn cheap really but well I'll be able to get that new Blackstar amp then.

It's my last 'brand" guitar being a real Gibson, albeit heavily modded as you can see, right down to new frets and a reshaped neck, locking tuners, upgraded pups, toner down bar etc.

So I'm down to...

A custom strat
    A Harley Benton LP
    A franken-nuno/Hondo weirdness
    A custom Charvette based EMG rebuild
    A custom Yamaha EMG rebuild

Plus a few guitars more or less in parts or so.

Only five electrics. And an Ibanez bass and an acoustic as well as a Hohner and Landola acoustics.

I could still sell one or two of the electrics but I doubt it'd be worth it in any way so I think this is where I'll stay for guitars. Unless some close relatives kid or something is in need of a good guitar, on which case I might give one away. 9a1c9dd94dad12a1602779947ec764a6.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Tapatalk

20. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

I put a Gibson 60's Tribute Goldtop P90 on CL with a spare set of Gibson mini hums and a 50's wiring thrown in, for cheap, and all I've gotten so far in an inquiry about trading. I think it is more of lack of new players. Kids these days.................geesh. I've got PA equipment I think I will have to pay someone to haul off.