Scored A Vintage Mij Pedal For $3! (arion Stereo Delay Sad-1)

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by toomanycats, May 23, 2019.

1. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

This afternoon I visited a local Habitat for Humanity Restore with my wife. She usually minds the cart and leisurely browses while I scamper off like a jack rabbit. When I visit one of these stores I always get flashbacks of being a kid at an Easter egg hunt. It's both anxiety inducing and exhilarating.

I made a quick tour of my regular spots, the the book department, hardware, records and tapes, art, and the aisle with porcelain and knick knacks (not necessary in that order).

"What about electronics?" you ask.

Ah, yes . . . I used to high tail it to the electronics department. But there just hasn't been anything good there in a long time. The last really good find I made was a Marantz tape deck, though that was a year ago. It's become quiet picked over of late, so I save it until last. I'm convinced that employees cherry pick the really good stuff before it even hits the floor. So my expectations weren't high.

But today was different. I was stupefied by what I saw laying there on the shelf. I grabbed it and excitedly made for the cart.

As I approached the cart I said to my Wife, "Take a picture of this."
    fullsizeoutput_915.jpeg

You see it? No, not the painting of the girl and the cat, or "The Birds of Tikal," or "All About Upholstering," or the Imari plate.
    IMG_5145.JPG

Look closer!

Here! Yeah!!! It's a made in Japan Arion SAD-1 Analog Stereo Delay in perfect condition, in the box with the manual and everything, and it's only 3 f*ckin' do$$ars!!!
    fullsizeoutput_90b.jpeg

I haven't plugged it in yet, though I can't wait to hear how it sounds. I've read only good things about this vintage 80s analog stereo delay.

IMG_5152.JPG

fullsizeoutput_917.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_919.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_91a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_91b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_91c.jpeg

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    SKYDAWG, jtcnj, zisme and 7 others like this.
  2. toomanycats

The original receipt of purchase was still in the box. Somebody bought this at a place called "Music City" on January 30th, 1987, at 2:53 in the afternoon, and paid $25.00 after tax.

EDIT: Or was the cost $23.95, the purchaser paid $25.00, and $1.05 change was rendered?

fullsizeoutput_91d.jpeg

3. Lamf77

Lamf77 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That's a great score....congrats. Definitely your lucky day....must be the white socks!
    Count me in! 77bed38ecdf3d315f5797556f2be9a1a.jpg

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

tlarson58 and toomanycats like this.

4. slowhand84

slowhand84 Well-Known Member

Sweet, gotta love fun thrift store grabs. If it works that's worth about 10-13 times what you paid :).

toomanycats likes this.
  5. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Cool pedal. I still have the arion stereo chorus i bought in the mid 80's. I use it when messing around in the garage when plugging in 2 amps, use the "out2" output for the second amp, works great.

6. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

That is the winningest win.

toomanycats likes this.
  7. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

That's so cute. You bought a book on birds for your cats....awwwwww

toomanycats likes this.
  8. tlarson58

tlarson58 Well-Known Member

Hmm... Which amps to test it out with.

Hmm...

RiverDog, PsychoCid and toomanycats like this.
  9. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin Well-Known Member

Nice score ! And it’s worth at least $25 . I was looking at some arion pedals online the other day and now I realize that many of them were stereo out but mono in? Even the distortion pedal I saw was like this. Now I imagine a board filled with just arion stereo pedals. How fubar would that signal path be with one patch forward to the next pedal and the second to an amp. So on and so forth for each pedal in succession. how many amps would you need then? What would that sound like. My brain hurts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. golem

golem Well-Known Member

Nice. My brother in law's pedalboard has a lot of Arion stuff because that's what you find used in second-hand stores in the Phillippines (Japanese music gear).

toomanycats likes this.
  11. toomanycats

Finally had time to plug this thing in and play around with it. It's exactly as I've read about it online. A very organic, warm, delay with good touch sensitivity.

I have a Caline Deep Blue analog delay (Mad Professor Deep Blue clone) to compare the Arion with. Understand, I think the Caline sounds really good. It's perhaps more transparent than the Arion, though after going back and forth that clarity starts to sound sterile and cold. The Arion has a really pleasing low tech vibe with a quite unique decay. Bottom line, it will definitely inspire me to play and get creative.

Anyone here ever try run the Arion SAD-1 at 12 volts? There's supposed to be some magic in that.

One downside of the Arion is that the enclosure is made out of fragile plastic. It's amazing that any of these survived until now. My example looks to have been babied. I intend to use it only for studio purposes. It will continue it's pampered existence, going from the box, to desk top, and back into the box again. Should be good for at least another 35+ years.

12. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    Congrats on another exciting find!
    You the Indiana Jones of Gear Archaeology.

AxeGlove and toomanycats like this.
  13. Aullucci

Aullucci Well-Known Member

Is it possible to re-house in a sturdier enclosure? I've never rehoused a pedal with a slider before like that one, and who knows how fragile the guts are after all this time, but it might be worth looking into.

toomanycats likes this.
  14. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    Na the mojo lives in the box too; you cant keep it if you let it out, like the magic smoke in electronic equipment.

toomanycats and tlarson58 like this.
  15. toomanycats

I've come across mention of people doing that. I don't know if it's necessary in my case, as I'll probably never even have it on the floor. I'm very sparse when it comes to pedal use. When I do use them they're usually on a desk top where I can conveniently fiddle with the knobs.

16. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

D&D character name...

Tomb Anycats - Knob Fiddler and Mead Drinker of the Mountain

toomanycats likes this.
  17. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

Jeebus, how do you keep DOING this?!?

toomanycats likes this.
  18. toomanycats

Okay, this is just getting stupid now.

I was just at one of the pawn shops I regularly troll and scored this pristine MXR 10-Band EQ for only $30. No box, but has the 18 volt power supply. Not a scratch on it. Pedals have just been flying at me for the last week. First the BOSS SD-1 for $15, then the Arion SAD-1 for $3, and now this MXR EQ.

Note the "Wrong Tag" thing on the receipt. It had been priced at $60, but a $30 special sale tag had been taped to the pedal. There was a MXR Super Comp right next to it and I think the $30 tag was meant for it. They were both under glass in a case, so it's not like a customer had messed with the tags. Someone behind the counter musta f'd up. They gave me the EQ for $30, but made a note of it on the receipt to cover their own arses.

When the employee who cashed me out asked if I wanted the MXR Super Comp too for the same price I said "No." That was kinda stupid, because I now realize that was a really good price for one of those. Knowing myself I'll fret all night about it and then go back in the morning to get it.

Excuse me, the door bell is ringing. I probably just won the Publishers Clearing House. :ROFLMAO:

fullsizeoutput_91f.jpeg

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    RedLesPaul likes this.