She's ready to ship home Tritone!!! :)

Discussion in 'Project Depot' started by BigPigDave, Jan 21, 2011.

1. BigPigDave

BigPigDave New Member

RE: Looks like I got another victim

Alright.. guitar is back together and strung up
    intonation done, the trem is freakin dead on I think... (see the vid and judge for yerself...)

Only two snags... the toggle cap Steve got is for a import.. and is too small for the USA switch and the middle pickup went dead on me.. so I'll pull it all apart tomorrow and see if a wire got x'd or pinched putting the pickguard on... I had it all working with the pickguard off... and so I think it's just something simple.

But... cant put the thing together and not shoot a vid of it.. so I kinda rode her a little hard and I think she'll be fine once Steve gets her back

[hr]
    of course, more pix.... Here she is (yay.. get to tear her down tomorrow....)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tritone likes this.
  2. Tritone

Tritone Well-Known Member

NICE!!!!! Sounds as good as she looks. I can't wait to play it! As usual, was a pleasure to watch you play! All the guys who hate those cheap Ibanez trems need to watch this vid and realize all you need is a good set-up to get these things ready to rock.

Also, found a USA sized tip in seconds on fleabay. Cheap and Dimarzio pink, can't beat it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/DiMarzio-Fender-Type-3-5-Way-Switch-Tip-Pink-/370049736723?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5628aee013

3. BigPigDave

BigPigDave New Member

Great - I dont have any tips.. much less pink ones ha hahahaha... layin around

I'll work on that single tomorrow and then I think she's pretty much ready to come back to you - I'll send her out Monday a.m.

:wiggle:

Well... realize too about what I did for the trem as well... larger pivot studs and I also replaced the cheapo springs and used OFR springs on it (they have more tension and a little bit shorter, not to mention better metal... YEAH! METAL baby!!!!) ha hahaha....

The nut problem fixed too... I told ya I'd get this sucker to "stay" in tune... ;)

4. Tritone

True that, it ain't a completely stock trem no more. So the frets weren't the problem, then, it was the nut (aside from being razor sharp) that was all wonky?

5. BigPigDave

BigPigDave New Member

that and a combination of things like the two front loose neck bolts... a combination of things... ya know, they just slap these things together.. aint like they set them up...

Your razor fret days are over my man with this one.... ;) they're almost as nice as my ESP Tiger... almost..

Your action is alot lower than I would want mine,, but that's how you wanted it.. so it's got a little buzz, but has this funky sound to it clean when doing chords almost like "slappin'" kinda thing.. sounds pretty cool - could be the pickups picking that up too.. either way.. she's low and fast and in tune... :wiggle:

Tritone likes this.
  6. Tritone

Lower than you'd like it? Now you're scaring me! :p Sounds like it'll give the Vigier Shawn Lane Signature Model "Lowest Factory Action in the World" a run for it's money. Maybe I'll finally be able to get down some Holdsworth licks (yeah right, in my dreams!).

Once again :bowdown:

7. BigPigDave

BigPigDave New Member

At least now you wont be able to blame the guitar...... :ticking:

If you find the action is too low on your end.. just raise the low E side pivot stud (backing it out a little until you get it where you want) you go any lower and she's gonna buzz and fret out.

If you breathe hard enough on the strings.. they'll fret themselves.. :yes:

8. Tritone

Sweet...that answers the question I just PMed you :lol:

9. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Well-Known Member

Left The Beatles' home for some Krispy Kremes...

Fellas (and particularly Dave for his work), that looks and sounds fantastic. I never thought I'd think that about an RG after part ex-ing my horrible, horrible, horrible 750 for the Wolfgang 10 years ago :bowdown:

BigPigDave likes this.
  10. BigPigDave

BigPigDave New Member

Thxn Billy... how'd ya like that move there at 3:54 with my fingers "under" the strings...... :grin:

11. Tsukiyomi

Loved it, that's just what those RG's should be doing imo. Some tasty playing there Dave. I'm thinking we might have to even things out by tying one of your hands behind your back the next time we jam ;)

12. Tritone

Horrible 750?! Oh don't say that, I've been thinking about picking up a red 750! I love my 770DX so much, I figured the 750 would be a handsome stablemate. You're scaring me! What was wrong with yours? Paul Gilbert seemed to like his :naughty:

[​IMG]

13. BigPigDave

BigPigDave New Member

Hey,, I can play this with one hand! :wiggle:

Since I had a non-paying bidder... and came out good on tax stuff.. I think the gunslinger's gonna stay in the stable.... love the guitar... the neck is a tad thin for me... might put a Charvel neck on it and call it a day...

anyway.... enjoy the vid! :) :p[hr]
    I'd take a RG 570 if I had too... otherwise.. ESP's for me...

14. Tritone

Yeah the 570 is nice. I've got a 560, which is the same guitar but HSS instead of HSH. Early 90s Japanese RGs are quality...no steak knife fret ends there!

15. Tsukiyomi

Mine was exactly the same as the one in that PG pic. (EDIT: Ok, not exactly. Is that an HSS? Mine was HSH. But otherwise yep, that was how my guitar looked. God, I grew to HATE that shade of red as the years went by!)

I don't know, I think I just had a dud maybe. I owned it for 11 years and hated it for 10 years and 11 months of those. No matter who tried to set it up you could almost breathe on it and it would go out of tune. I think I've told this story before. I'd previously sold my Ibby Roadstar II to buy a Tokai Superstrat but then got back into Vai (I'd been a fan since Flex-able but this was around the time Passion & Warfare came out). I was a gigging musician at that point, so I got a bank loan to buy a Jem (black with green pups and Tree of Life fretboard) but while I was waiting for the loan approval I was taken to hospital where I spent a week. So, with the money burning a hole in my bank account, I had a friend withdraw it and go to buy the Jem on my behalf. When he turned up at the music shop,the Jem had sold hours earlier. The Jems weren't going to be restocked for 3 months (remember, this was late '80s Liverpool) so he kindly bought the nearest thing to it on my behalf because I quite liked Paul Gilbert too. Big mistake.

It looked Jem-like, sounded right and the neck was fast and furious but that thing would not stay in tune for love nor money no matter what was done to it. In those days I knew next to nothing (make that 'exactly nothing') about modding/setting up, etc, so it took a back seat to my other guitars. Each time I'd bring it out to rehearsals it would invariably slip out of tune again within 5 minutes (bear in mind that although I'm more Bluesy now, back then I was doing the eight-finger tapping and whammy harmonic pullback stuff). So rather than try to get a serious setup, I figured that since none of my other guitar playing friends could make it work, I'd just stick with my other guitars and try to find some sap to sell it to, eventually taking it back to the same store I got it from 11 years later as part payment on the Wolfie. Oddly enough, they gave me a great price on it so they obviously knew something I didn't.

I think I just happened to get one that was possessed or something since everyone else seemed to love theirs. :baddevil:

16. Tritone

Awesome story, even if it does involve some misfortune--forgive my schadenfreude! That is indeed an HSS RG750--if you look real close, you'll see the pickguard is routed HSH. PG just drilled some mounting holes for a single coil and stuck it in the humbucker route of the guard.

Do you remember how much you paid for it new? I believe, in the days before the Prestige line came out, the RG7XX series were the top of the line (save for the JEMs, PGMs, RBMs, etc.). Must have been a pretty penny, albeit much less than a JEM.

And to me, the RG750 is way cooler than a JEM! Maybe I'll buy one and bring it to G4 and you can reconnect with your old 8-finger tapping, sweep arpeggio days!

17. Tsukiyomi

Ok, first things first - are you seriously thinking of going to G4? That'd be fantastic!
    Second - I'll have a go but I could never do sweeping arpeggios even then, haha. Back in the day I was probably doing similar stuff to what Dave's doing now but I drank my memory (and ability). I was pretty good on the EVH stuff and the wild Vai-type noises but had no real technical ability. So nothing's changed there then, lol. Don't forget, I was hanging around bands like The La's, Echo & The Bunnymen, Icicle Works, etc., so very few people in my neck of the woods were playing that stuff. So I'd learn the Vai/Satch stuff (I can still do a mean "Forgotten Part 2" and "The Attitude Song") and bluffed my way to a name as a pretty good guitarist around Liverpool's rock clubs, when in reality I was just doing stuff that was more flash than anyone else.
    Third - I think I've actually got my original receipt here somewhere. If the bits of my memory that I didn't drink are left, I'm thinking the Jem was around £1100 (probably $2200 then) and the RG, which had just come out and were still sort of touted as the Paul Gilbert model before the one with the f-holes came out, cost me about £950 ($1900?). I do know that I put the difference towards a Laney Linebacker amp that - bringing this whole thing full circle - was exactly the same model as one that BPD himself owned!

18. Benny

Benny New Member

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Nothin' to say... Except, Tritone... You need to post pics of all your Ibby's somewhere! And send some to my place. :hsugh: :grin:

I should have Dave upgrade my Edge3. Let me know what you think of it when you get it!

Oh yeah! :hitit:

19. Tritone

Definitely need to buy a new camera and get a family pic...check this sick bastard's collection out for now: http://www.kosakuworld.com/gtr.htm[hr]
    I'd love to go to G4, and will try my hardest to get there. Maybe hitch a ride with Chuck! I'm starting med school mid-summer, though, so I'll have to see how my schedule is at that point. I'm sure free time will be at a premium, and even sneaking away for a weekend may be damn near impossible.

As far as the 750 being almost a thousand pounds...wow! Guess that's to be expected, since Europeans always get shafted royally (pun intended) when it comes to guitar prices. I figured they were around $1000 USD in these parts.

So you had an RG and a Laney...sounds like a Paul Gilbert protege :lol:

20. Tsukiyomi

Yep, I had the guitar and the amp just not the talent. Still, two out of three were enough to get me... how shall I put it? Attention from rock chicks? ;) I often say that I was a much better guitarist in my late teens than I've been at any time since.

And I really hope there's a way you can make it down. I can't speak for Chuck of course but I'm sure he'd love the company and it'd be great to see you there, but as you say time will definitely be at a premium. Good luck with it though and sorry for derailing the thread on a great guitar. :bowdown: