Simple Home Recording For 1 Man Band

Discussion in 'Windows Recording' started by artandsoul, Sep 19, 2019.

1. artandsoul

artandsoul Well-Known Member

Im a newbie to home recording and need some advice on the subject. I play drums and some guitar and bass. Only way i have right now t record is a zoom recorder. I have a loop pedal ehx nano looper 360 i can put guitar on loop and play drums with it and record it with the zoom recorder but can include bass or vocals unless its sung while playing drums. whats the easy simple cheapish way for me to record all 3. Ive never used any recording software etc ever just the zoom with drums and guitar few times but i want drums, guitar, bass and eventually vocals on it at some point.I have drums, bass, guitar and powered 212 speakers aka mic in rear for pa to use.

2. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Get an Audio Interface that connects to your PC. Then you can record tracks independently and mix them on the PC later.

Narsh, artandsoul and andrewsrea like this.
  3. Milkman

Milkman Well-Known Member

A Scarlett 2i2 is a good starter interface. You’ll be able to plug an instrument and/or microphone into your computer with that.

If you have a Mac, it’s a no-brainer - learn to use GarageBand. If not - there’s a very reasonably Digital Audio Workstation software callled Reaper... is use that.

If you’ve never used this stuff, the learning curve is steep, but worth it. YouTube is your friend for this.

Dive in... you won’t regret it.

Narsh and artandsoul like this.

4. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Active Member

Start free with Audacity and go from there. Audacity handles multi track recording, mixing and editing and can output to many different audio formats. Can't beat the price!

I record in audacity without any audio interface too. I just plug into the line in on my computer. Also free!

artandsoul and Milkman like this.
  5. Milkman

@GuitLoop makes a good point. Audacity is great for learning th basics of multitrack recording. I’ve been using it for years for various things. And it’s free!

artandsoul and GuitLoop like this.
  6. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Audacity or Presonus Studio One (Free) will get you started on the basics. I never got past the basics. You could also get a Digitech Trio Plus and use that to record a bass and drums and then you can play and sing. Many options but EVERYTHING requires an investement in learning.

artandsoul likes this.
  7. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

Grab an audio interface with an appropriate number of inputs to your needs. Then choose a DAW and get busy learning it. Audio production is a deep, often frustrating rabbit hole - but it can be extremely rewarding if you stick to it.

Most DAWs have free demos, so look at a few primers and pick one to go with. You will learn the workflow along the way.

Reaper is excellent, and fully featured. It has an amazing community and there are excellent tutorial videos linked right on the front page.

Cakewalk's Sonar is another excellent free option. Cakewalk was recently sold, and the new owners made the full version free.

MichaelR, minpind, Narsh and 2 others like this.
  8. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

I would suggest a Focusrite interface, probably 2i2 and Reaper assuming PC. Why? Good stuff with HUGE support communities.

The differences between software features or the tonal characteristics between different hardware won’t make a damn bit of difference in your user experience. The thing that will make the biggest difference for you is the learning curve and support. Manuals, blogs, YouTube videos, forums etc.

MichaelR and minpind like this.
  9. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

Great advice here!

Your Zoom is great for a quick capture of a live band, but must be a PIA to try and produce a song.

Edit: unless you have two. Then you can do the Les Paul bouncing stuff all day. Still a tough way to go, when entry level computer recording is less than $200.

10. LongBlackTie

LongBlackTie Well-Known Member

I use a Scarlett 2i2 and cakewalk. Good price and pretty straightforward. As someone said DAWs are a rabbit hole and can get as complicated as you want to make it. I enjoy the musical creative process not the recording process so I’ve never gotten very good at Cakewalk.

tonray likes this.
  11. artandsoul

artandsoul Well-Known Member

thanks for all the replys! any way to record at home and free sounds good for me for now. I went ahead and downloaded audacity to try out. I feel I still need a mixing board to make it easier on me using mics and I want one anyway just waiting on that mus friend points to come in lol.
    In the past I have played guitar on a ehx loop pedal and played drums to it using zoom to record with but drums always to loud in the tiny room im in. I now have the drums facing the wall and they sound much better with some diy rockwoool acoustic panels in front of them. It will take me a few to figure out the audacity but looks to be simple enough for me just using the laptop mic I already played with it some to figure out some of the editing features.

12. Narsh

Narsh Well-Known Member

Great advice on here... A lot of the folks on the forum are great at home recording.

I still use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd gen for everything, and Reaper is my DAW of choice.

I've been recording at home for quite some time, but at the start, use the free stuff. Recording Live drums would be a challenge and I can see you needing a mixer, multiple mic's etc. But, start slow, start free and most importantly, learn a DAW. Pick one and stick to it, they are mostly all the same but all have pretty steep learning curves.

Best of luck and can't wait to hear some of your tunes when you get to recording them.

13. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon New Member

what I have been doing is record each part thru my Mic to the Daw Drums first if you are a drummer, then Lay the bass down Mike it to track 2. play them back and then run that into the looper and save in bouth places. Because I am a guitar player I add more tracks 3, 4, 5 with different rhythms play back each track with the Drums and Bass see whit guitar I like the best and add it into the looper and save. Now I have created not just one song but possible three. I use a Daw I pay for but I hear good things about reaper.

tonray likes this.
  14. LongBlackTie

This thread got me re thinking my use of cakewalk. I’m worried that since it got sold it may not live for much longer or get updated.

It may be time to switch to one of the big boys.

nomadh likes this.
  15. Milkman

I keep thinking I have to move to Logic.... but then I can’t remember why.

GarageBand is definitely adequate for my level of ability.

16. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I was just thinking of trying cakewalk. I figured now its rereleased it was pretty safe. Is it open source now or just free pricing for now?

17. LongBlackTie

free pricing. It’s a good solid program, not that I’m an expert (intermediate at best). If I could be assured of its continual support I’d stick with it.

I will for the time being because I’m lazy