Small Great Speaker?

Discussion in 'Project Depot' started by BatUtilityBelt, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

Hmm... our poster is thinking about shopping at
    part SEX press

I show myself the door!

BatUtilityBelt and tonray like this.
  2. Lamf77

Lamf77 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Grabbed a PG-10 for $12 and it's a great little go anywhere amp, even without a speaker change.
    Another inexpensive amp I grabbed is the Dean M-10...$15 off a Goodwill.com auction. I popped the $10 Eminence in it and it sound great. Pretty much on par with my small Vox Brian May. You can see the huge difference in the magnet size (that's what she said!). The cabinet is bigger than the PG-10 and sounds more full. Recommened for the price.

dean.jpg inside cab.jpg speaker compare.jpg

BatUtilityBelt, jtcnj and toomanycats like this.
  3. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

So are the PG-10 and M-10 the exact same amp with different trim and branding? Sure looks like it to me. I know I've seen these before but never gave them a thought until now.

pg10.jpg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019

4. Lamf77

Lamf77 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Same layout of the controls, but the Dean has a bigger transformer (the thing wrapped in yellow tape). larger cabinet (the controls are not as squished together), the pots are a bit larger and the gauge of the wiring seems a bit lower (thicker wire).
    Side by side the Dean is more full, warm and just sounds better.
    They go for sale on Goodwill.com all the time. Mine was as new and not beat up at all.
    It cost $9 and about $11 to ship.

toomanycats likes this.
  5. BatUtilityBelt

BatUtilityBelt Well-Known Member

Quick update... I received the Eminence speakers today and had some time tonight to mess around. I wired one of them up (without a cabinet) to a Bugera V5 and played through it in a wide range of settings. In the 1 watt mode, it sounded pretty good - crisp and nicely detailed. But in the 5 watt mode, it found different attitudes entirely - both wonderful clean and with a fair amount of breakup. I completely forgot I was playing through an $11 speaker without a cabinet, and really liked it a lot. I'm going to have to spend more time than I thought making the amp and cabinet for this speaker. Very very happy, such a great deal!

6. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

I found in smaller amps I like a lively bigger sound of a larger cab relative to the speaker size, made of 1/2" birch ply.

BatUtilityBelt likes this.
  7. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

Tell me more.
    I am in cab-making (repourposing, really) mode.

(along, separately, with picking a darn 12" speaker... too many good choices!)

8. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

I
    I used to have a Jenkins 212 cab, got from my brother. Very low serial number and Jenkins is known East Coast ( I Think) cabinet maker guy..so top notch, wood is tapped upon for tuning, select ply sizes to optimize, etc...so I am told. Anyways, its made of 3/4" Baltic Birch Ply which is supposed to be a relatively knot free ply used in cab building. Has removable back panels for closed or open.

It sounded good, as far as I knew. I'ld only had combo amps prior. An mid 70's Ampeg which was made of disintegrating particle board. A Gibson Falcon, and a Fender Champ.

Then I got a Magic Amp from Mike Moody with separate 112 cab. Man did it sound big and rich. Made my 212 seem dead. Mike has a cab builder in Mass. and its made of 1/2" birch ply, and its big for a 112. Its 24w x 20h x 9deep, 1/2 inch thick sides. Open back, mid 1/3 is open. Sounds excellent for 12 inch.

Then I started buying some Seismic cabs which were cheap on Amazon. They make a cheap large 212, and a roomy 112 in 1/2" birch ply. They sound very good too, like the Magic Cab.

I believe, the difference is that I had the big 3/4" thick 212 Jenkins, but I only used a 18watt amp through it. I dont own any bigger amps. All mid-small amps.
    I bet the 3/4 width sides come alive with more power rattling thru them. I didnt have that. With lower watt amps, for me, the 1/2 inch construction is livelier.
    And not cramped into a box just bigger than the speaker either. Like Mike Moody's spec on his cab..lots of room for one 12" with, again, an 18w amp. Sounds fantastic...probably a guy with his knowledge knows already what certain amp builds will do better in, etc. I dont know, other than with my amps, 1/2" ply, with a roomy cab size, sounds nice.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    Poodlesrule likes this.