So I just broke the neck on my les paul junior

Discussion in 'Luthier Tips' started by SkaJon, Sep 9, 2012.

1. SkaJon

SkaJon Well-Known Member

Damnit! Well it's the classic set neck story. My poor Dillion DXC 58 :( I had the guitar on a stand and I bumped into it and wham! It fell face forward on a carpeted floor. A neck break. Well I feel like a god damn idiot. So any tips? or should I just take it to a repairman? It looks like a pretty clean break. Here are the bloody gory pics

af5bad2021b62bbd6e93a6bd76a76be4.jpg
    364aa3dc575220ca7d1332de8a647dea.jpg
    723bbc043b004d413defc524906a78e5.jpg
    45ece001a1233aee0f7a1a1689ea45e5.jpg

bc rich likes this.
  2. Rick In Pa.

Rick In Pa. Well-Known Member

Send it to BPD..... Oh, wait :sniff:

thepezident, Ziltoid and nrussell23 like this.
  3. Gplayer

Gplayer Observer

Looks fixable. Glue, clamp, time....etc. Really sucks, sorry.

4. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

That will probably need a dowel or two...

Mickey and Jofa like this.
  5. Texas Slim

Texas Slim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

except for the chip on the bottom, that's an awfully clean break, it looks like two pieces of wood gled end to end. if you can get the piece out of the body, you could glue them back together, rout two small parallel channels from the neck down into the tenon, then glue battens into the channels, like the skunk stripe on fender style necks. when that dries, the rounded chip should cover the repair.

6. SkaJon

SkaJon Well-Known Member

So should I attempt to fix this myself? Honestly I'm not the best with tools, if it's just glue and clamps I think I can handle it. However if I need to add dowels and other stuff I don't feel confident in doing so.

7. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

What have you got to lose? I think the price of a repair would run close to getting a new one. Those weren't terribly expensive, were they?

I agree about the doweling though. Going to have to be pretty precise as far as that goes.

Tough break. (A little topical humor)

8. azimuth

azimuth Well-Known Member

Yeah that sure doesn't look like a set neck, unless I'm looking at it wrong. There's no way wood just breaks perfectly against the grain like that. I'd take it to a luthier if you have one locally and get his opinion.

9. SkaJon

SkaJon Well-Known Member

The guitar brand new cost about $350 at the time. Man I guess I'll have to ask around and see how much a repair would be. So I'm guessing I need the dowels to improve structural integrity?

10. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

That really sucks! I have knocked them over and chipped them up but I've never broke one to that extent. Sorry that happened to you.

If it were mine I don't know if it would be worth paying a professional. I've seen LP Studio's with similar damage that had been professionally repaired selling for 300-400. At $350 new it would not be worth much repaired. I guess it depends on the cost of the repair but you may not even be able to recover repair costs. It could be an opportunity for you to hone your repair skills.

11. Texas Slim

Texas Slim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

the tough part is going to be getting enough pressure to glue the tenon back onto the end of the neck, it's an awkward angle to try to clamp, while keeping the pieces lined up straight. if regular wood glue was used to glue in the neck, warm vinegar and a bit of time will soften that enough to get the piece out of the body. if it was epoxied, you may be screwed.
    any chance you can post a pic of the body with the pickguard removed?

12. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

2 hardwood dowels, Titebond glue.

Frankenfretter likes this.
  13. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

yeah, something does not look right about that break. i'm no woodworker but i can't see how a piece of wood would break clean like that.

is there no neck tenon?
    here's a shot of a long and short tenon
    [​IMG]

Without a neck tenon, the neck is just waiting to break off.
    And believe it or not, there's at least one Gibson ES-335 out there with no neck tenon:
    http://030be21.netsolhost.com/WordPress/2010/06/30/another-head-scratcher-thanks-norlin/
    [​IMG]

14. shizengiggles

shizengiggles Well-Known Member

Agreed...that doesn't look normal.

15. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

To me, appears to be a super clean break in a great area to have a neck break. And like others have mentioned, it appears that they glued the tenon to the heel of the neck instead of it being a one piece neck. I've seen this construction method before. It appears to have popped on the glue bond and not a weak piece of wood around the bond.

I am thinking that some manufactures have been going to urethane glues {like Gorilla glue}, which does not get absorbed into the wood pores like water based glues.

Actually, an easy fix. First, dry fit it to see if if you can get it to line up side-to-side. Second, see if it lines up bridge to nut {neck angle}.

I recommend Franklin Hide Glue http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Glues,_adhesives/Wood_glue/Franklin_Liquid_Hide_Glue.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=1390 . It allows long work time for making adjustments, cleans with water, has a strong dry bond and will come apart with heat and water if you need to retry. You'll also need a 6" or 8" 'C' clamp and some wood shims to put on the fretboard and tenon to keep the clamp from marring the finish of the clamped area. Shims also provide a dispersion of pressure.

I'd wet both contact surfaces with a damp sponge, try a good coverage of hide glue and pressure, before going the wood dowel route. Fit & clamp. Wipe any excess glue that squeezes out with a damp rag.

Let it dry a week before un-clamping. Sand the finish as necessary with a 600 - 800 - 1000 grit sequence, then rubbing compound {I prefer Meguiars #2}.

If you were near Southeastern PA, I'd tell you to stop over and I'd fix it for you.

Best of luck!

PsychoCid likes this.
  16. AllenR

AllenR Well-Known Member

That is a butt joint if I ever saw one. Wood cannot break that cleanly. I'd call Dillion and show them the pictures and ask how they attach their set necks. I sure wouldn't buy one of their set neck guitars if they are all built like that. I have their Jazzmasters and its built very well.

peskypesky likes this.
  17. LowEndSlacker

LowEndSlacker Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear the bad news. I know how much you love that guitar. If you consider it a keeper you definitely need professional advice. If its repairable some reinforcement will be necessary for long term stability, but it must be done carefully to not interfere with the truss rod. With such an odd break you might have to choose between a simple glue job or a neck replacement.

18. Daneman

Daneman Well-Known Member

It looks like there never was a tenon. I think you should clean it up with white vinegar and do a dry fit run first, clamp and glue it back on. you should be able to get it good as new. You might use a string or two on the guitar to pull it tight to the block,with clamps to squeeze the neck to the heel.

19. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

agreed 100%. I've been considering the purchase of a Dillion SG copy, but after seeing this thread, no way.

20. azimuth

azimuth Well-Known Member

If they in fact advertize that guitar as a set-neck, that is blatant false advertising. It's more like a "faux" set-neck.

bc rich and Mickey like this.