So I Played This Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop 1957 Black Beauty Today In Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by toomanycats, Dec 7, 2019.

1. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

It was made in 2014. Plugged it into a Fender Blues Junior. Very smooth pickups and I assume they're 57 Classics. The ebony paint job had a lot of noticeable orange peel, but not in a bad way. It was bumpy in the way you'd expect a "vintage" instrument to be. Comfortably rounded neck. Felt significantly lighter than my unchambered Gibson Historic. Pristine white binding with no bleeding. Real ebony board, not richlite. The pickguard and poker chip are missing and there is a slight chip on one of the control knobs. Other than than that it's in pristine condition, with no scratches or dings, no fret wear, and no tarnish.

Priced at $3399.99, though the store manager said there was a little wiggle room.

There's something about this guitar. It's so damn perfect! Blows my Black Beauty Univox, Black Beauty Agile, and Black Beauty Epiphone out of the water. Damn you Gibson!

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/G...om-Black-Beauty-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

lp 1.jpeg

lp 2.jpeg

lp 3.jpeg

Razzle, CyFan4036, tonebender and 3 others like this.
  2. LongBlackTie

LongBlackTie Well-Known Member

Seems high at 3399 but I’m not an expert on reissue prices. I would think 2500 give or take with how you described it. That’s probably forum price though, so Retail used price 2600-2900. Just my opinion.

for similar coin Id look at an early 70s custom. Some are complete dogs but some are better than reissues.

I’ve never played a reissue that felt vintage. I’ve played reissues that played very nicely and sounded good, but never the same feel. Just depends what you’re after.

Also I’d look on MyLesPaul and TGP for used reissues for a better used price.

let us know how it turns out.

toomanycats likes this.
  3. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

It is backwards. :(

Lefty Leo, Jaymo and toomanycats like this.

4. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Meh. My brother had a Gibson Black Beauty. I don't think it was really any better playing than my Agile. Paying that much for a LP seems silly to me. YMMV

tlarson58, tonray and toomanycats like this.
  5. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I've got a 2014 gold top R7 and it has Custombuckers. I think they're Burstbucker 2/3s with Alnico 3 magnets (maybe Alnico 4s). Some of the best pickups I've ever heard, so good I went and bought a couple sets of Epi Probuckers and A3/A4 magnets for a swap to see if I could come close to duplicating the sound...

Niko Souza and toomanycats like this.
  6. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

My friend bought one back in 1990 or so to teach himself to play...the only thing he learned : selling it 6 months later was an expensve lesson. If I recall it was heavy too

peskypesky likes this.
  7. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

man, diving that hard into a hobby when you're not sure is pretty brave/foolish.

Mr. Leyvatone and fullonshred like this.
  8. tonray

Yeah...he's a guy with more money than common sense

fullonshred and peskypesky like this.
  9. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

does he need a friend?

MattS, tlarson58 and peskypesky like this.
  10. toomanycats

My Agile "Black Beauty" style guitar feels very substantial, is shinier than the Gibson, and sounds really good with the Giovanni GVH-1 pickups in it. But the Gibson felt more delicate and refined, and the sound was simply exquisite. Was it $3000 better? That's such a difficult question. I've read something to the effect that a cheap guitar can be like 90% as good as a very expensive one, and every percentage above that which closes the gap will cost exponentially more.

Some Customs came with 490R/498T as well, though maybe not the Custom Shop Reissue models like this one.

This guitar felt light, which is odd because 57 reissues are supposed to be non-weight relieved.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    nomadh and tonray like this.
  11. tonray

;);););)

12. thepezident

thepezident Well-Known Member

Someone chime in with the Agile 40% rule.....

13. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Just buy it already I think it looks aw-sum, enable that's our M.O. here . :) I have lp-2500 with that theme exactly with the exception of having zebras on mine.

dabbler and toomanycats like this.
  14. toomanycats

Here's an interesting tidbit regarding the guitar's provenance. Apparantly the previous owner was the drummer for Billy Idol. When I asked if they meant the drummer for Billy in the 80s, you know, like during his prime, they said, "Not necessarily." He does however look like a rock star when he walks into the store. So there's that, which for me adds nothing whatsoever to either the value or desirability of the guitar. I mean, I may only be a lowly cat servant, but I kinda look like a washed up rock star when I walk into the store. :ROFLMAO:

CyFan4036, tonebender, MattS and 5 others like this.
  15. tonray

That's like the painting I saw in a curio shop in NYC once...an original Picasso.........upon closer inspection "Sam Picasso"

16. Niko Souza

Niko Souza Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That’s a beast right there... prices are hovering around $3k+ for black beauties right now. Closer to the mark and you’ll be okay if you fall out of love down the road.

I know how it is to play something that expensive and have it still click. There’s a law of diminishing returns as you climb the guitar price ladder... but there is still incrementally increased magic/mojo/just something on some of the really good ones. If you can make it happen without resentment (from yourself because of the expense or significant other) then have at it boss!

I played a 56 LP Junior last week... also $4k with epic aging mostly original except pickup. Plugged it into a Deville and it put a spell on me. I’m not sure I can make it happen without some significant pain so that train may have to sail... but it still calls to me!

tobijohn and toomanycats like this.
  17. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

I notice you didnt yet try a

[​IMG]

for 189$ in stock now. Likely 7.5 lbs, 43 mm nut. And should sound great, regardless if after some fret work it only plays as well as an Epi/Agile/Tribute. Put your favorite blues pups in.

Its the great sound that'll hound you.

https://www.rondomusic.com/product10103.html

I like having a beater cheapo logo guitar that can be made to sound so good.
    Its like kicking ass with junker sports gear. Just feels better.

dabbler, nomadh, jtcnj and 6 others like this.
  18. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

That is a richman's bastard, but....

Here's the thing about Gibsons in my limited experience. There will be some dogs, there will be some good ones, but there will also be some great ones. Those ones are worth the cash, because a truly great LP won't really drop in value too much. You won't take a big hit shortly after buying because you won't want to sell. And someone else will fall in love with it if you do move on.

I have played a $5000 LP custom that felt like dead weight and sounded like crap. But if you find one with that mojo...mmm, 40 percent extra goodness.

The trick is being ready when you find that one.

19. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

I like my MIK(alamazoo) Heritage H157 (aka LP Custom) at couple Bentons less than half of that... 3c0b214d01bfcae51de60270ef364fdb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

20. 8livesleft

8livesleft Well-Known Member

God what a beauty.

We're going to Osaka for new year's and was planning on checking out some japanese lp customs but man I just know already that once I see a gibson black beauty, THE beauty, then that's that - will be on noodle rations the rest of the trip. Lol

That said, I'd love a good Orville/Tokai/Burny custom too.

jtcnj, tobijohn, Niko Souza and 2 others like this.