Soldering Fret Divits? Yes, It 100% Works And Here's Proof

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by toomanycats, Dec 11, 2017.

1. RockYoWorld

RockYoWorld Well-Known Member

I love the mod. You're right. It's the right cost of a "fix" for the cost of the guitar. If this was an expensive guitar, you get a refret by a pro. It's just a $40 guitar that you jive with and have made tons of crazy unique mods to and just want to get it back to a no-buzz playing shape? Go for it.

I just find it humorous that someone decided to use his or her 4th post on this site necro a thread over a year old to shit on you for doing it. Might have forgotten which guitar forum they were digging through.

Jaymo and Mickey like this.
  2. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

@toomanycats So how many hours of play so far you think? When ever I do a project I think of the downside and the downside of a refret seems a mile deep to me. But his I think I might try.
    Everyone says how they would never do this to an expensive guitar or a pro would never do this but I wonder if this might start to be used on perhaps very very expensive musem pieces. Maybe a 59 lp that actually has some frets wore down but you dont want to upset an original classic. Don't want to remove parts or upset nibs. Won't have hours of play time but perhaps a few times a year its taken out of the case so uncle Clapton can play it so we can all marvel at the tone. A non permanent non invasive museum repair?

3. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

In the last two years since applying the solder, I don't know, maybe 40 hours play time? Probably something like that. There were days when I played it all afternoon, but then didn't touch it for months. If you know what it's like to have 70+ guitars, with "new" ones coming into the stable quite often, many of them Strats, then you'll understand how a particular Squier could be played so little in two years time.

RockYoWorld and nomadh like this.

4. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

That sounds like you have a good estimate. Seems like it's a success for what it is. I only have 30 guitars but I'm sure a few I haven't played in 2 years at all.

5. toomanycats

I know what you mean. I feel guilty about those "neglected children" of my collection, the ones that almost never get played. It would make sense to pass them on to somebody who will love and play them, but for whatever reason I seem to have a problem letting go of stuff.

BrianSkeezer and nomadh like this.
  6. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

My excuse is I'm saving a few to mod after retirement. I'm curious to see if it's a lie or not.

Chocol8, BrianSkeezer and toomanycats like this.
  7. 8livesleft

8livesleft Well-Known Member

That's great man!

Messed up a guitar cause I dropped a tool on it and it dented 2 frets. So I had to level the heck out of them and had to do the same on the higher frets too.

In retrospect, I should've just replaced the frets. But this seems like a great solution.

toomanycats and bc rich like this.
  8. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Member

I think this is a great way to fix the problem of divits , I bet if you used a solder that silversmiths use you could get way better results, they even make a silver paste solder
    Paste Solder
    Jewelry making often seems to delve into the world of mad science, especially when you see how paste solder is sold: in a syringe. This odd concoction is actually a smart shortcut. The solder and flux are mixed together in the syringe, which makes it easy to dispense exactly how much solder you need, exactly where you need it. You can buy hard, medium and easy paste solder. :astonished: . I also use the emery board on my frets when I only have a few spots to clean up, I finish with jewelers files, then polish.

toomanycats likes this.
  9. toomanycats

Right on man, like Mr. Floyd D. Rose, who was a jeweler with a crazy idea about guitar modification back in 1976. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to investigate silver paste solder.

floyd_rose2.jpg

RockYoWorld likes this.
  10. jwguitar

jwguitar Well-Known Member

I’ve never tried that but that is a great idea for fixing frets. I have, however, used nail files on high frets before. It works perfectly and I just polish the frets up with micro mesh sandpaper and all is good. You would never know anything was done.

11. bc rich

bc rich Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I took the fret soldering challenge using silver solder.
    Korean ibanez rx rescued from an abusive relationship .
    pics
    before
    DSCN0565 (2) (1).JPG
    during
    DSCN0573 (2).JPG
    after
    DSCN0585 (3).JPG
    in recovery
    thumbnail_DSCN0610 (2).jpg

jam, RockYoWorld, hystat and 3 others like this.