Solved? P-Rail in HSS- 19 sounds Whadaya think?

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by oyobass, Feb 25, 2009.

1. oyobass

oyobass Member

Hi- Been lurking a while, posted answers/comments a few times.

I bought a P-Rails bridge PU to go in it before UPS delivered my SST FT (http://www.rondomusic.com/sstftowl.html)
    [​IMG]

What I'd like to do is keep the 5-way switch, set it up 1 push-pull vol, 1 push-pull master tone (incl. the bridge P/U in the tone set-up, and a switch for the bridge P/U to bypass the 5-way so I can do a telecaster-like Bridge/neck combo.

I want to set the push-pulls to do the 4 sound option as on the SD site, but feed into the 5-way, not the 3-way as SD shows.

I'm sure it can all be done with the two push-pull pots and an on/off mini-switch, but I'm a bit hazy on the connections to make after the push-pull pots.

Related: Does anyone know if SX single coils use the same polarity as Fender or Duncan? I suppose if I get it out of phase, I could just reverse the leads coming from the push-pulls to the 5-way...

I figure in theory I can get 19 sound combinations with the three switches without drilling any new holes

Thanks for any help you can offer with my crazy idea-

oyo

[Edited on 25-2-2009 by oyobass]

[Edited on 26-2-2009 by oyobass]

[Edited on 27-2-2009 by oyobass]

2. oyobass

oyobass Member

Hi again!

A couple of diagrams I modified at lunch yesterday. I thought a couple of pictures might be good to get discussion going.

Credit: Source files (obviously) from the Seymour Duncan site.

The Strat one is easy to understand, I just added a bypass switch to directly engage the bridge P/U with any of the other ones, mainly to get a Tele-like sound.

I want to merge the P-Rail and Push/Pull pots into the Strat wiring to achieve my 19 sound dream machine, but I still come up fuzzy on which leads from the push/pulls hook up to the 5-way switch, (I know I'll need to do more work on the P-Rail diagram to take the pots out of it and end up with leads coming off the push/pulls to the 5-way).

Thanks!

Attached Files:

3. oyobass

oyobass Member

The strat Diagram:

Credit: Source files (obviously) from the Seymour Duncan site.

Attached Files:

4. oyobass

oyobass Member

Bump- I think I have it pared down to the essentials- I hope it'll work, cause I'm goin' for it. If I get out of phase I can swap the leads to the 5-way and ground.

Attached Files:

5. supercoupe

supercoupe New Member

why not just add a 3 way switch?

6. oyobass

oyobass Member

That leaves out the parallel/series option, so I can get a PAF-ish low output 'bucker sound that will match the singles a little better.

Then, for a lead boost, I can slap both push/pulls down for series and rip...

oyo

7. supercoupe

supercoupe New Member

is that why Gretsch (sp?) axes have, like, 97 switches?

8. oyobass

oyobass Member

97 switches?

I'm a tech-head kind of guy, but even I am looking for the balance of simplicity and stupidity (overkill).

I'll probably end up with a few favorite sounds and not use the rest much...

9. oyobass

oyobass Member

Finally had time to troubleshoot the problems I was having with the switching system.

I played some Flyleaf on my cellphone speaker held over the pickup for a test signal generator. I traced it to an intermittent short in the coaxial cable between the volume pot and the output jack.

After replacing the output coax, I carefully put the pickguard in place- it was a tight fit, since the only push-pulls the local Guitard Center had were meant for a Les Paul depth, not for a strat style pickguard. Everything just barely fit flush.

I screwed everything back together, stung it up and-

Everything but parallel mode works! I must have shorted/broken a wire when trying to fit it all back in to the control cavity. Since it works for the most part, I'll wait 'till I change strings to troubleshoot this one.

Sound? Amazing! fits the "Strat with options" goal to a "T". After I put it back together, I spent hours playingit into my amp set on the edge of the clean/crunch divide. For a couple hours, I just played open chords plugged straight into my amp without effects. Just mesmerizing.

I had so much fun, I stayed up too late just playing. So much fun, I was nodding off at work this morning, and every time my eyes closed, I was back in front of my amp with my guitar in my hands, if only for a second or two at a time...

10. oyobass

oyobass Member

By the way...

Hermetico over at the Seymour Duncan forums was very helpful with figuring out the wiring.
    Here is a link to that thread on the SD forums:

HSS P-Rails thread

Have fun!

11. geetartuna

geetartuna New Member

Cool idea.Interesting read.

12. tomringg

tomringg Well-Known Member

Interesting reading, but way over my head. Glad you are making progress. Happy playing!

13. oyobass

oyobass Member

Way over my head too! I just dove in and did it though. I'm glad I did.

No tougher than putting a model car kit together... Just follow the diagrams and you're good to go.

The bridge-on switch is an easy mod that will work with any strat-type guitar to give you a nice bridge/neck combo sound.

Good place to get your feet wet...:x:

14. oyobass

oyobass Member

This is the easy/classy way to do it-

Just thought of something SD came up with- the Triple-Shot pickup mounting ring. It has all of the complex wiring built into it. you just wire the four pickup leads and ground wire to the ring's printed circuit board and push mini switches on the ring itself to switch to all four sounds. (series/parallel/rail/P-90)

Just 2 wires and a ground come out of the Triple-shot, and wire into the normal location.

No extra holes to drill! no Rube Goldberg-looking contraption under your pickguard.

Had they been out when I started this project, I would have gone that route instead, and wouldn't have had a month of downtime. They should be in stores now...

Also- just a bit of a warning. The P-Rails are physically larger than most PUs. I had to file the Humbucker opening in the pickguard a bit larger to accommodate it. Depth-wise it was a little shallower than the stock 'bucker, so I didn't have to do any woodworking to get it to fit.

It was so worth it!

15. Geoffrey Charles

Geoffrey Charles Well-Known Member

Interesting for sure, although wiring that up is above my comprehension level.

16. FrugalGuitarist.com

FrugalGuitarist.com New Member

Go for the PupSwitch Model 2 or 3. I have the model 1 and really like it.

http://pupswitch.com/switches.html