Sonicake

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by AnotherJim, Mar 30, 2019.

1. AnotherJim

AnotherJim Well-Known Member

This came across my thread and there are 2 of them. This Metal version called the Black Hammer and another which name escapes me which is more of a classic hard rock sound. Does anyone have one and can you tell of your experience and the quality of the item? The price is cheap but this would be a great way for me to replace my board for travel. I can slip this in the Back of the amp with the rest of the cables. The 3 demos I have watched sound decent.

2. AnotherJim

Cheap pedal bump!!!

3. jamdogg

jamdogg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

these look cool, but i have zero experience with them. FYI 40% off @ sonicake site today.

4. AnotherJim

Thanks @jamdogg
    I think that same only applies to one of the sonicake pedals, Pretty sure not the Black Hammer. My only concern with these things would be durability

5. jamdogg

the blues voiced sonicbar sounds pretty good from what i can tell. Its like a poor man's fly rig. if i played/rehearsed more i would love one of these. Would love to have one but still trying to stay lean with the gear. They are pretty cheap right now though.

6. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

Seriously fighting an urge to buy one. I am just not a pedal guy.

7. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I looked at a lot of these but If I were to go for a multi-strip type effects pedal I keep coming back to the Nux Cerberus as the one I'd get. Just more bang for the buck...yes more money but you get a whole lot more too. I just keep waiting for a new incarnation....waiting ...waiting...waiting.

8. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

It's over $200 more. Not even in the same category to me. Value small effects unit vs pricey small effects unit. YMMV.

9. jamdogg

Sonicbar Twiggy Blues on the bay for $49 +10 shipping direct from sonicake. You may also have ebay bucks or the $5 off promo as well. 1 left, and 3 hours left on the sale.

LINK

10. AnotherJim

Interesting. None of the original pedals I mentioned here are on sale :confused2:.

11. AnotherJim

So I bought the Black Hammer. It is listed for metal (now mind you, I am an early metal fan...Sabbath, Priest, Maiden and a little hair as well). This is probably designed for modern metal. I have since heard the Sonicake Rockstage which is modeled more for the earlier metal and hard rock) and I may go after that some day depending. I was searching around on E bay and the Black Hammer came up for $58, with delivery and tax (gottta love NY) $70 to my door delivered. It came fast. The original delivery from CA was supposed to be a week. It arrived in 3 business days.

My impressions: I really like it. It feels pretty solid (metal case). Simple design, came with the power supply. No battery operation. It is really compact and my goal was to get something to throw in the back of the amp for when I play with my friends which is weekly. I was waiting to post as we were supposed to play tonight and I wanted to post after hearing it in the mix.

It has: Chorus, Delay, Distortion (with a noise gate!) and a boost. When engaged, the colors are the same as the corresponding colors of most of the pedals (not all)

I ran it 2 ways in 3 amps....into the front end (which is what the directions advise) and also tried through the effects loop. I found the distortion to be much louder through the effects loop). Interesting that the distortion volume seems to change with each amp.
    When I run through my Mesa Express, it sounds best overall (probably because it is a kick a$$ tube amp) very warm and very effective.
    Through my Bandit, it is a little less warm and a little thinner (old SS amp) but still rips. I tried it through my Peavey Envoy 110 which is a little smaller, a little less loud but a different sound altogether, It sounded good through this but again, the distortion was a little thinner. The boost was more effective on this amp then the others (but it is effective on all). The Chorus and Delay work well. If this holds up this will be a great way to travel with less gear. I have a pedal board and the sonicake seems to better fit my needs (my pedal board has MXR and Boss stuff mainly)

The negatives: I kind of wish it had a power switch. The other is that the writing for the EQ for each effect is really small and you wont be able to read it if you are playing a gig or with your buddies. These are not game changers and very small negatives.

Here are 2 pics...one so you can hopefully see the EQ and the other with each effect engaged so you can see the lights.

61C0BCE1-4DA2-43E4-AD73-836844F9E75C.jpeg DF2E4112-117B-4D24-A0B5-2662548521F1.jpeg

12. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Member

I would get one of the Twiggy Blues models if I did not already have the pedals that are on it. I hope it hold up well,

13. AnotherJim

I hope it does as well. It might be worth attaching to a smaller board and maybe a way or something with a power strip with on and off and using that as a rig with a little more substance for the negatives and to increase the chances it lasts longer.