Source For Decent, Inexpensive Mini-humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by glasshand, Apr 27, 2019.

1. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I didnt try it quite like that. I usually use my soldering gun. It works better on plugs, cables full sized pots. The little ones seem to just slowly cook things without ever flowing the solder.

honyock likes this.
  2. AxeGlove

AxeGlove Well-Known Member

+1,000...Best Internet Post Of The Day. :)

tobijohn likes this.
  3. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

Where are you getting this quote?^^^ Do you have a link? I dont see a Firebird or a mini listed anywhere on GM listings.

Those arent bar "poles". FB's are alnico magnets inside the bobbins. Faux looking mini hb's put "slugs/poles" in the bobbins & still mount a mag underneath, slap a FB cover on & call it a FB. I'd be stoked if someone actually made a mass produced version.

...back to the cover removal. You mentioned in a previous post unwinding the bobbins *(edit- I'm referring to the delicate wire comment) and such to look underneath. I was confused as to why you'd go that far. All you need is an iron to heat the solder holding the cover on. I've taken a
    x-acto knife and just cut it too. It's easier than you think. I'm not trying to get you to remove em. Just trying to understand.

Here's one I have with purchased from bezdez. It's a mini. This is what I think GM is selling.
    20190515_002413.jpg
    See the small opening in the wax? You can just see a magnet slung underneath. No connector plate on top like a FB would have, and bar "slugs" in the bobbins, not magnets like a FB pickup. 20190515_002523.jpg
    If GM are really selling an authentic built FB pickup they'd go a loooong way by advertising it by showing one naked under the cover. I'm only guessing, based on your comment, that it sounds like the one you were replacing that it is just the same.

Hope this makes sense. I'm not trying to confuse or offend anyone.

*edit part duex. I cut/pasted your text into a search & found the listing. No one is selling real Firebird pickups for $30+ a set. No one. GM is taking liberties ala GFS with their advertising.
    I bought mine from bezdez for $11 knowing full well they couldn't be FB's.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    tobijohn and nomadh like this.

4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Edit: you can ignore my text. I didn't read the whole thread. I thought the issue eas determining if the poles were bars or individual slugs. If you ever need to determine that though my suggestion works well.

No need to take it apart to see if it has bar poles/magnets. Get some of that green material sold at scientific supply sites that shows magnetic fields. Sorry, I can't remember the actual name, but if you place it on top of the pup, the poles will show as black. This material has some iron made into it that can move. OR if you can find one of those toys where you can mover the iron fillings around with the little supplied magnet that will work too.

Edit: it's Green Magnetic Viewing Film

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    idiotsdelight and nomadh like this.
  5. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I did a lot of research at the time. Dont recall the details now. It seemed these GM pups were close in spec but I also remember there seemed to be some wiggle room in the desc. Not that much of all this is any guarantee of any particular tone or that I will particularly like it.
    Also I do believe at the time it claimed magnets in the coil. But I have no proof. Oh well. Not like I dont have 20 more guitars, most i like alot. :) maybe someday I'll get a deal on one or somehow try before i buy. It's rare i dislike a pickup this much. So now i got 2 sets :)

idiotsdelight likes this.
  6. idiotsdelight

Have Buddha or andrewsrea build you one. Further back in this thread are plenty of vids of Firebird tone. The Johan Segeborn vid is fantastic audio quality.

You never mentioned your pot values. In my copy above they have 300k and sound like asshole.

nomadh likes this.
  7. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I do have to check the pots. I've made fun of people who replace the expensive part without trying the cheap part. In my defense I also bought the gm because the included pups howled with gain but the new one is only somewhat better.

8. jwguitar

jwguitar Active Member

Those are really good pickups I like GFS products.

nomadh likes this.
  9. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

How much time have you invested studying this ...'hole sound phenomena?

cornfed and idiotsdelight like this.
  10. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

What should it be 500k?

11. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I was considering going with something like those also. I wanted a "real" fb pickup but like I've said maybe I'd hate a real FB pickup. I really feel trapped shopping with this much ignorance dripping off me but I dont have free access to a stockpile of vintage and current pickups to play with. I knew having this form factor pickup would box me into a corner a bit and here I am. Hey @Perfect Stranger , Do you still have those GFS minis you want to sell and what model they are? I still need to check on my pots but I thought I'd ask if I want to go that direction.

If I had played a real vintage FB before and loved that tone then kicking up to either of these options would be a no brainer to me.

12. Perfect Stranger

Perfect Stranger Well-Known Member

I do still have them. They are GFS Mini 59's...with mounting brackets, etc. Look at their price on GFS...and the mounting brackets there. Tell me what you think a fair price would be for 1 week used.......shipped.

13. idiotsdelight

You're not limited in regards to pickups. P90's also fit in a standard size mini route. Within that you could get a HB in p9 form if you desired.

jam and nomadh like this.
  14. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I do have a set of squier a5 p90s. Dont I need to mod the opening a bit?

15. cornfed

cornfed Well-Known Member

Minis will work in a p90 route with a ring, p90s won’t fit in a mini route. If you need to route something swing by , I have a hundred templates and it only takes a minute

nomadh likes this.
  16. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Thank you Corn. That's right, we are in the same town. I dont know if I'm ready to give up completely on minis. It would be tempting just to see your setup and how you do things.

PsychoCid and cornfed like this.