Studio (speakers) Monitors??

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by OMB, Dec 8, 2019.

1. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Need some education. I may be in the market to buy some new Monitors for some recording plus I don't trust my cheap Logitech PC speakers. I need some education . Here are some questions for those of you in the know.

Brand and why?

Preferred Speaker size?

Wattage?

2 Way or 3 Way and why?

Thanks in advance for sharing any knowledge. I am kind of fatigued looking at speakers. So indulge my laziness.

2. OMB

For some reason this needs a bump...

3. stormin1155

stormin1155 Well-Known Member

I went from cheap computer speakers to KRK Rokit 5 monitors and the difference was nothing short of mind-blowing. Your best "listening experience" from near-field monitors such as these is when you have them set up fairly close on each side of your computer, and you are seated at your computer. It's almost like a good set of headphones. These are 2-way with a 4.5" woofer, and I find the bass to be quite adequate, but going any smaller might sound thin.

MichaelR and OMB like this.

4. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    My son just yesterday got a pair JBL 305, he did a lot of net research.
    They were just on holiday sale at $89. ea.

Seems to be a popular choice.
    I have not given them a good listen yet.

Seems just about anything you get, esp. with a known name brand with at least 4" driver is gonna beat the snot out of PC speakers.

Chocol8 and OMB like this.
  5. Milkman

Milkman Well-Known Member

I grabbed a pair of these Edifier R1280T ($99) speakers for my computer. They're not truly neutral monitors by any stretch of the imagination, but they sound good and beat the hell out of "computer speakers".
    01af4c06b7c0f605bf8d566f2a1f6a0e.jpg

thepezident and OMB like this.
  6. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

What are your recording goals? More specifically, are you looking to simply record for your own enjoyment (in which case, any decent speaker that pleases your ear will do), or are you mixing and mastering for wide release?

What is the intended result of the end product? This will determine which monitors are right for you. It can be a very deep subject with many expensive rabbit holes, depending on who the end listener is and where they will be hearing your output.

OMB likes this.
  7. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

I've had a set of M-audio BX8a monitors for about ten years. Got them because I was in the market for a set of BX5a's
    but Musician's Friend put them on sale for the same price as the BX5a monitors (saving me nearly $200 on the BX8a's.)

I have only ever used them to play a Line6 POD and a Behringer Vamp thru, plus as PC monitors.
    I probably should have bought the BX5's as these are waaay larger than the 5" monitors.
    But must admit, glad I didn't because these sound awesome!

maudio-bx8a.jpg

fullonshred and OMB like this.
  8. OMB

First my cheap Logitechs (Z-623) aren't that bad if you look at the performance specs and they sound OK to me. They are THX certified.
    https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/speaker-system-z623?crid=47
    a07c0ea7dc1a7c7748caa7fe90b901d9.png

OK Expensive is anathema for me. It seems that to hear decent bass without a sub maybe 6" - 8" monitors would be a good choice? Also I look at the freq range, SPL and other specs. I don't want to spend anymore than $500 per pair as my hearing ain't that great. Also I would be recording for myself. No one else would have any interest in what I do.

9. redman

redman Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I have a very inexpensive rig that work's well for me a Zoom R8 Lenovo laptop loaded with NCH Suite and oh yes Presonus Eris E3.5-3.5 Near Field Studio Monitors. CLICK HERE
    The speakers are powered the size is compact so that's a plus for my small apartment to my ear the the 3.5 drivers have really good sound reproduction for mixing and last but not least they're just $100. That's just my take on them I almost went with the JBL 305PMK but to me the Presonus were just a bit tighter with their sound reproduction.

d36b945cc5c05ce65d3745a21a273b82.jpg

jtcnj, OMB and stevebway like this.
  10. Brian N

Brian N New Member

I have a Roland CM30 Cube monitor. Bought it about 12 years ago and they still make them, which saying something. I mounted it on a mic stand (it has the mic stand threads on the bottom). Super useful unit; a bunch of different channels, 1/4" inputs, 3.5mm input, XLR input, and RCA input, as well as a 2 band EQ. Used to hook a mic up to it and use it as a mini PA system. Now I use it as a computer speaker. I think it would work super well as a versatile studio monitor.

OMB likes this.
  11. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have had the KRK Rokit 5 monitors for at least 5 years and they are excellent IMHO.

OMB likes this.
  12. Beyer160

Beyer160 Well-Known Member

FWIW, the JBL 305s are totally legit. They've got great imaging, nice flat response and an amazing amount of low end extension for 5" speakers.

jtcnj, OMB and rmfroyd like this.
  13. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I heard good monitors will make most things sound bland. If you can get your mix to sound good on them then they should sound good anywhere, right? Really if you mix to some speaker then it will sound best there and may suck everywhere else. I've never understood this all but I keep hearing it.

OMB likes this.
  14. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

What is your budget? What kind of room and what are your goals?

Monitors designed for nearfield won’t fill a room, but used as intended, they will give you good neutral sound. More expensive MAY get you better monitors, but without a treated room, the diminishing returns will vanish.

The JBL 305, 306, and 308 are very well regarded for their price point and size. The 308’s are bigger and louder and can produce bass in a near field and more of a midfield than the 305’s but the little guys are surprisingly good up close and in smaller spaces. There are other well regarded and popular choices from Yamahah, Presonus and Rokit in this price range and slightly higher that you may consider, but I believe the JBL’s actually measure flatter if truly neutral is important to you.

Manodano likes this.
  15. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

JBL LSR 308P MKII

$383.27 delivered to my area. Similar price at Amazon if you like them better.

I don't have them and never heard a pair but they are what I would likely buy if I was in the market.

16. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

I have the same speakers, and heartily endorse them. Great sound for little cash.

17. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have the JBL 306's - they sound great and my mixes translate great onto other systems. They are plenty loud and have adequate bass. The smaller 305's are probably fine for nearfield monitoring, and they are a hell of a deal at $89 each. I mixed for years on an ancient pair of JBL L-16 Decade bookshelf speakers (1974 models, Hoss) and thought I could never be happy with anything smaller than an 8" woofer. These little JBL 306s are 1,000 times better for mixing.

I've cracked open my 306's and the guts are quite impressive - really high quality components and workmanship, and impressive engineering.

No matter what speakers you end up with, set up your nearfields at about ear level so that the two speakers and your head form an equilateral triangle. Turn the speakers about 30 degrees toward your head. My speakers are spaced so that the triangle is about 30" per side. My room allows me to hang a 4' high 7' long carpet about two feet behind my chair to hold down reflections and to keep the bass from dispersing all over the room. I think you would call the carpet a loose woven rag rug. It shouldn't work according to the textbooks, but it works great.

Secret Tip: Resist the urge to mix at high volumes - keep it reasonable.

PS I've never been able to get good results adding a subwoofer to the monitoring scheme.I got off track when I tried that.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Beyer160 likes this.
  18. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

I have those IK Multimedia monitors. Pricey but compact and while not flat, provide an incredible soundscape.I love 'em.

19. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

Adding a subwoofer well takes a measurement microphone, flexibility with placement, ability to tune delay, a treated room, and often EQ. For most casual home studios, you are better off without it.

Manodano, redman and Mickey like this.
  20. Spike

Spike Well-Known Member

I picked up a pair of Presonus Eris E3.5's. I love them. Sweetwater had like 6 or 8 pairs set up in their recording gear room so I was able to A/B several in my price range for my needs (untreated room, personal recording setup) and the Eris won big time. Best sounding IMO of all the 3.5/5" powered monitors, however, personal preference will be your deciding factor.

Good luck and be sure to post what you decided to go with.

redman likes this.