Sunday Morning Blues Jam W/clapton & Dcw Overdrive Pedal (videos)

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by toomanycats, Feb 3, 2019.

1. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

This short Sunday morning noodle fest is based upon Clapton's version of "Worried Life Blues" as he plays it on his Just one Night live album recorded at Budokan in 1979. Of course Eric plays a Strat on that recording (Blackie I assume), though those licks also sound wicked on a semi-hollow like my Ibanez AS93.

That wonderful guitar tone you're hearing is in large part the sound of the DCW Pedals Woodsman overdrive, which is a high quality, hand wired pedal made by AGF's own @Snare227. It has a wide range of drive, from almost a clean boost to "in your face" distortion. It is exceptionally organic and touch responsive. As the video demonstrates it really allows the detail and subtle dynamics of blues playing to shine through.

One more thing: For anyone wishing to really grasp the essence of the blues, I highly recommend learning this particular redition of this tune. Not just the notes mind you, but the feel and dynamics. Clapton's live performance of this song really is a master class. He's done all of the hard work, distilling the essence of what is best in the greatest blues players (The Three Kings) and melding it into his own unique style. Trust me, it's well worth the effort.

EDIT:
    Here's the same track played on an American Strat loaded with Van Zandt pickups. Still using the 65 Amps with the DCW Pedals Woodsman in front providing the drive.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Jaymo, Razzle, tlarson58 and 9 others like this.
  2. toomanycats

Settings Bump!

Photo on 2-3-19 at 10.26 AM #2.jpg

3. jamdogg

jamdogg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thank you for sharing - as per usual!

toomanycats likes this.

4. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member

The Ibby does sound sweet and will have to check out the pedal. Great job as usual.

toomanycats likes this.
  5. Lamf77

Lamf77 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Very nice, sweet tone. What Amp? And do you have sunglasses to match the finish of every guitar?

toomanycats likes this.
  6. toomanycats

Thanks, and, "No" on the sunglasses matching thing. LOL. Honest, I didn't notice that the glasses matched the violin sunburst finish of the Ibby until after I shot the video. I'm not that color coordinated by design. Truthfully, they're my Wife's sunglasses. I was looking a little rough this morning from last evenings over indulgence in Evan Williams bottled-in-bond white label and wanted to hide the dark circles.

The amp was my 65 Amps London head and matching 2X12 cab. It was set at low gain, so any of the "dirt" you hear is from the DCW overdrive pedal.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  7. Jaymo

Jaymo Well-Known Member

Two thumbs up from me.
    And, that's one helluva beard you've got.
    I'm envious. Mine isn't that thick on the sides.

toomanycats likes this.
  8. toomanycats

Believe me, between the hair and the beard, I wake up some days, look in the mirror, and think that a grown up teen wolf is staring back at me. :ROFLMAO:

I can say that it has kept me warm this winter.

Jaymo likes this.
  9. Jaymo

Jaymo Well-Known Member

Amen to that. My face hasn't been cold nor wind burned since I grew mine.
    That's why I've kept mine.
    Plus, I've been told it's so soft that it's like "sittin' on a kitten".

It also helps keep cold air from coming up behind the chin bar of my motorcycle helmets.

toomanycats likes this.
  10. Snare227

Snare227 Well-Known Member

Sounds great man!!

Jaymo and toomanycats like this.
  11. toomanycats

Thanks. Just loaded a video of the same tune played on a Strat. Still using the Woodsman overdrive. That Fat knob comes in handy for dialing in full single coil tones.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Jaymo and Snare227 like this.
  12. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

Great video, great playin' great demo.

toomanycats likes this.
  13. Jaymo

Jaymo Well-Known Member

That Woodsman pedal sounds great. I think it's my favorite, from the sound samples I've heard.

Snare227 likes this.
  14. toomanycats

If you recall, I won this pedal in the DCW sponsored Christmas contest. When you entered the contest you had to say which one of the pedals from the line up you'd like to win if you are chosen in the random drawing. My choice was DCW's version of the RAT (the Muskrat). Well, I lost on the drawing, but won on the story part of the contest. Turns out that @Snare227 knows me better than I know myself, because as my prize he sent me the perfect overdrive pedal for the way I play. In my original review of the pedal I said that it has that mid bump of a Tubesceamer, but is also more clear and open, sorta like a Bluesdriver, or at least that's the way I hear it. Bottom line, it sounds damn good.

15. Jaymo

Jaymo Well-Known Member

Yes it does sound good. To me, it sounded like the perfect pedal.

Snare227 and toomanycats like this.
  16. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

Finally listened! The playing was excellent on both and definitely captured the song well.

I really liked your tone in the first video...until I heard the Strat version. The Strat sounds so much better to me for this song.

That said, your look in the first video is so much better! The sunglasses hat and shirt all matching the guitar. The laid back posture, the beard, etc. all adds up to a very blues look. The painting behind you is a very non-blues painting but I haven’t decided if is subtracts from or adds to the vibe.

Two more things... This video reminded me how much I love that album. That was one of the first CD’s I bought at the House of Guitars in late 83 or early 84 when I was way to young to even be in the House of Guitars by modern parenting standards. And second, this video reminds me that I still need to buy a semi hollow, probably an Ibanez.

toomanycats likes this.
  17. toomanycats

I agree that while the humbucker loaded Ibby semi-hollow has a raw and raucous appeal, the Strat has a more refined and sensitive sound on this tune. There's a lot of dynamics that translates better with the single coils.

I bought that double vinyl album at a thrift store probably a year ago, but didn't get around to listening to it until last week. I had assumed it would be a weak performance, as I had heard that the period when it was recorded was a low point for Clapton, with both substance and personal problems. That is why I was so floored when I heard it for the first time. He's on fire on this record! His solos just jump out of the speakers. I knew immediately that I had to learn Worried Man Blues note-for-note. I think I'm going to study and learn Double Trouble next.

Regarding the Ibanez, I'd say it's a great choice for a semi-hollow. That being said, the Epiphone Sheraton II Pro I played at Guitar Center a couple weeks ago was also mighty impressive.

Chocol8 likes this.
  18. Chocol8

Double Trouble is just plain brilliant and Further On Up The Road and Early in the Morning are also great on this ablum. He is playing Blackie, pre-midboost and Lace or Noiseless pickups and he plays with some great touch and dynamics across both discs.

Snare227 and toomanycats like this.
  19. Chocol8

I can buy an Ibanez from the same local shop, owned and manned every day by the same guy, that I bought my first guitar from and where I took my first lessons, a few decades back. If the product is even close, and I am buying new, that’s going to be a big factor.

20. toomanycats

Do you mean House of Guitars?