The Agf Dungeons & Dragons Thread

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by toomanycats, Jan 17, 2016.

1. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

D&D (1).jpg

This is a test to see if playing a Dungeons & Dragons game will actually work on the forum. To start out, I propose a very simple game with the characters engaging in a very basic dungeon crawl, nothing too sophisticated. We’re going to be “playing in the sandbox” so to speak.

We’re going to start out slow like this for a couple of reasons.

First, I’d like to give those of you who are not familiar with Dungeons & Dragons, and role playing games generally, a basic understanding of how it works.

Second, I’ll be working out the technical feasibility of running a role playing game on an online forum. The role playing, story telling, narrative aspect of the game should work out wonderfully in this format. What I’m mainly concerned about is how some of the more fast paced scenarios the game presents play out, namely, things like combat.

For those of you who are entirely unfamiliar with the concept of a role playing game, I suppose that a simple explanation is in order.

In a role playing game you adopt the persona of a character in the story, similar to what you would do if you were in a stage play, or playing a film role. However, the difference in a role playing game is that your direction and lines are not scripted; instead, you decide your characters motivations and how they will react to the circumstance they find themselves within. It’s similar to games of make believe that most of us played as children, except here there are structure and probabilistic rules governing the collective world we're playing in.

I’m going to run the game using the 1981 D&D Basic Set edited by Tom Moldvay. This is a very good place to start for beginners.

It is a convention in the game that the adventuring party chooses one member as the “caller.” This person acts as a kind go between or liaison between the players and the Dungeon Master. They have the authority to speak for the group and make collective decisions. I suspect that this convention of the caller may come in useful when playing the game on a thread, as the caller can keep the game moving along in a timely fashion in the absence of some of the other participants. Obviously, the caller should be somebody who is regularly online.

So, who wants to take on the role of a grim adventurer and boldly stride into a mysterious, untamed world of strange beings, malevolent monsters, wanton sex witches, and nefarious wizards? Who wants to track vast expanses of uncharted wilderness, crawl through musty tombs, and plumb the depths of deep dungeons in search of lost treasure troves and arcane secrets?

Step right this way . . . .

trampier spider.JPG

These are the character choices. Technically speaking, we're doing things a little backwards here in terms of character generation, but for the purposes of this game I want you to pick one of these character classes, decide on a name, and then I'll generate some appropriate stats.

Cleric. A human who dedicates their life to the service of a god or goddess. Can fight with blunt weapons as well as cast spells.

Dwarf. A short, stocky demi-human. Good fighters and resistant to magic.

Elf. Slender, graceful demi-humans. Can fight as well as use magic.

Fighter. Humans who train for battle and specialize in the use of arms.

Halfling. Small, nimble demi-humans (think Hobbit).

Magic User. Humans who have learned to cast spells.

Thief. Humans trained in the art of stealing and sneaking.

There's probably a limit to how many participants we will be able to make this work with. In my experience the ideal number of players is between four and eight. @Bubba Zanetti, @PsychoCid, and @RockYoWorld already have their spots spoken for. The other openings will be filled in on a first come first serve basis.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    RockYoWorld and Bubba Zanetti like this.
  2. toomanycats

Here's some advice for prospective players.

Considerations when assembling an adventuring party:

Fighters and dwarves are generally hardier than the other classes. They're often used as a "wall of steel" between adversaries and the weaker members of the party.

It is always helpful to have a cleric along, as they can both provide healing magic and repel the undead (animated skeletons, zombies, ghouls, that sort of thing).

Elves are a double threat, as they can both fight quite well and use the same wizardly arts as the magic user.

A thief is useful for stealthy activity like picking locks, hiding in the shadows, and so on. Just beware . . . . they sometimes like to steal from their own party.

Magic users are relatively weak at the lowest level of the game and typically require the protection of the other classes in order to survive. They do contribute very helpful magic.

Theoretically, a party could be composed of all fighters, or all dwarves, or what have you. However, the classes are by their very nature designed to assist one another through their particular strengths and skills.

The spirit of "old school" D&D

If you've played newer editions of the game, or perhaps have imagined that characters are able to do crazy heroic stuff, like, for instance, scenes from the recent The Hobbit film, then you will most likely be killed very quickly in one of these games. It is fair to characterize the feel of "old school" D&D as gritty realism. Beginning characters are very vulnerable. It is incredibly easy to die. Engaging in combat against unfavorable odds, attempting dangerous stunts, and being generally careless can and will get you dead in a hurry. For this reason, it's wise to be philosophical about the matter and not get too awfully attached to a low level character.

In the event that a character does die, it is a very simple matter to reinsert the player into the game as another.

The characters that actually do survive the trials of the dangerous lower levels are actually more interesting for having escaped the fate of their less lucky comrades.

The D&D world

Every DM has their own conception of the world in which the party adventures. While some undertake the laborious task of creating their own, many also use commercially available settings. For my part, I have always imagined D&D to be something like a pastiche of the medieval European Middle Ages/Dark Ages, the ancient classical world, and a conflagration of various fantastical literary worlds. The world you will enter is pastoral, agrarian, feudalistic, chivalric, and baroque; it is infused with the stuff of pulpy swords and sorcery novels, the subjects of fairy tales, and things conceived by Tolkien, R.E. Howard, H. P. Lovecraft, and other great writers.

If you imagine something along the lines of Tolkien's Middle Earth, then you're not far off.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    PsychoCid likes this.
  3. ScreamingYellowZonkers

ScreamingYellowZonkers Well-Known Member

I grew up playing D&D, and given the chance to play again I'd be all over it.

4. hatchmusic

hatchmusic Well-Known Member

Haven't played since the early 80s. But I'll join in if there is room.

5. JeffBeck

JeffBeck Baldy McBaldhead Staff Member

I always wanted to but never got the opportunity. I'll play if there's room.

tvvoodoo likes this.
  6. toomanycats

Great guys, welcome aboard! Just tell me which of the character classes you want to be from the choices above.

If we we're really sitting around a table together I would have you roll dice to determine the degrees of aptitude of the various attributes of your characters. Then I would allot you a certain amount of funds (in gold, silver, or copper pieces) for purchasing adventuring gear.

I'm going to bypass that process in the name of expediency and give each of you a "turnkey character" in the class of your choosing.

So, what do you each want to be?

7. JeffBeck

Well, since I'm built like a dwarf already - I'll be one. I guess he could be a cleric unless that's stupid.

kungphugrip likes this.
  8. toomanycats

No, it's not stupid at all.

A dwarf cleric is possible under the rules of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, though since we're playing by the rules of Basic D&D you'll have to be just a dwarf. If this experiment playing the game online works out, then maybe we'll dabble in AD&D and you can mix races and classes.

I'll generate the statistics for your character and have it for you directly. Now think of a cool dwarf name. :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  9. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

I would like to join in as a fighter. My name is Bucky

toomanycats and JeffBeck like this.
  10. toomanycats

I'll get right on it!

11. JeffBeck

Blüdi.

toomanycats likes this.
  12. hatchmusic

hatchmusic Well-Known Member

according to my kids, I'll be an elf. And as I type this my son says "on the shelf".

toomanycats likes this.
  13. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've never played. As a big fan of fantasy, I've always wanted to. But I honestly have NO idea how the game is played.

14. JeffBeck

I'm right there with you. I know it involves dice and that's about as far as my knowledge goes.

peskypesky likes this.
  15. toomanycats

Here's your dwarf . . .

Name: Blüdi

Strength: 17

Intelligence: 13

Wisdom: 12

Dexterity: 16

Constitution: 18

Charisma: 11

Class: Dwarf

Hit points: 10

Armor class: 3

Experience points: 0

Level: 1

Alignment:

Money: 20 GP

Equipment:

Chain mail armor

Battle axe

dagger

crossbow

20 bolts

backpack

2 weeks rations

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    JeffBeck likes this.
  16. dspellman

dspellman Well-Known Member

I'm clueless. Worse, I can't stop giggling whenever someone says the name of the game.
    It's all because of an LBGT version called Dungeons and Dragqueens.

Mickey, PsychoCid, JeffBeck and 2 others like this.
  17. toomanycats

Your fighter . . . .

Name: Bucky

Strength: 18

Intelligence: 9

Wisdom: 11

Constitution: 17

Charisma: 14

Class: Fighter

Armor class: 0

Wealth: 18 GP

Equipment:

Plate mail

Shield

Long sword

dagger

backpack

large sack

50 ft. rope

4 torches

tinder box

2 weeks rations

18. toomanycats

Your elf. He needs a name.

Name:

Strength: 15

Intelligence: 17

Wisdom: 14

Constitution: 15

Charisma: 18

Class: elf

Armor class: 2

Wealth: 12 GP

Equipment:

chain mail

Shield

Long sword

dagger

long bow

20 arrows

backpack

2 weeks rations

19. toomanycats

You don't need to know any rules. You'll figure it out as you go, trust me. Wanna play?

20. toomanycats

You in man?