The Elusive Firefly

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by OMB, May 9, 2018.

1. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    c34d680fc49414d9ee7c45f06333c310.jpg

Mr. Leyvatone and tonray like this.
  2. Gfurman

Gfurman Active Member

Just be patient and a new batch of something should arrive soon. It's a bit of a mystery filled with intrigue. I think they have a FB page that provides updates. The last batch arrived inconspicuously one Thursday morning (I think) in mid to late May and lasted 10 days. I grabbed one from that batch.

It seems some folks have replaced the pick ups but many like them as they are. A bridge replacement seems to be the most common due to buzzing.

VoodooCowboy and MichaelR like this.
  3. Razzle

Razzle Well-Known Member

Okay, just pulled the trigger on a Grote. I like it better than the Fireflys.

4. Gfurman

Gfurman Active Member

I was looking at those also before I sprung for the 338. They look nice with good reviews, just more expensive. Can you drop a pic of the color you chose? Also looking forward to your report after you get it.

Razzle likes this.
  5. Razzle

Razzle Well-Known Member

It's a purple one (of course), but I really liked the headstock binding and the inlays. The reviews on the Grotes are up there good, and if you read some of them it's like when they first came out they were $139. Wow. I got it off of ebay, the ones on amazon are more and then amazon charges tax now, so that makes it about almost 15% more. I will definately post pics when I get it.
    3cd42006ae58eda4e7ae26e149345724.jpg

Chocol8, fullonshred, DonM and 2 others like this.
  6. Gfurman

Gfurman Active Member

The purple looks really good with the gold hardware for sure. Colors aside, it looks just the the FF338.

Razzle likes this.
  7. Narsh

Narsh Well-Known Member

I've been on the FB group for Firefly recently. New orders should be up in 2 weeks it seems. Someone posted the bill of laiding

8. VoodooCowboy

VoodooCowboy New Member

At risk of channeling my spirit animal Nigel, you can practically hear the sustain on that purple. ;) Shame they didn't go with a yellow jade or a more 'gold abalone' look on the inlays...That would've pushed the whole thing over the edge into 'I don't care how it plays, I want it to hang on my wall to give the place some class.'

I have been seriously considering going the extra bucks on one of the Grotes. Look forward to seeing your pics and hearing your review.

Razzle likes this.
  9. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

just join one of the ff groups on facebook, they go into overdrive when there are listings. or just keep an eye here since i have no doubt that it'll be posted on here promptly when they're available again.

10. Razzle

Razzle Well-Known Member

You know Gibson has never ever made a 335 like that! What’s up with them?!? They have a Memphis LP (for three freakin grand) but alas it is afflicted with the well known fuschia-wannabe-purple syndrome. The Chinese have better eyesight than Gibson!!

Yea gold inlays would go great with gold hardware, Love abalone but it works best on blue guitars.

C’mon man, you have an open slot on that wall!!!

11. Razzle

Razzle Well-Known Member

Yea I was trolling Amazon waiting for them to come in stock, was gonna order a Grote AND a Firefly and do a comp, but their return (unless something is ‘wrong’ ) policy was I was gonna ship it back. No way. The headstock binding and inlays really sold me on the Grotes.

12. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

gibson and the koreans

[​IMG]

Razzle likes this.
  13. Razzle

Razzle Well-Known Member

Aaaaaaagggggghhhhhh

It’s the fuschia-wannabe-purple syndrome!!!

14. Gfurman

Gfurman Active Member

I think I would consider a Harley Benton too. Maybe for my next one. I love the cheap but very decent quality market. Plus there is a an intriguing sense of "mystery" not knowing exactly what I'll unwrap. And then the feeling of being in awe when it looks and plays great and I only paid a fraction of the cost. For home usage I don't need to pay $1.5k

15. VoodooCowboy

VoodooCowboy New Member

Since other 335-ish cheap guitars are being discussed, what do people think of the Oscar Schmidt/Washburn OE30 Delta Kings? A bit more expensive, but an awful lot of people seem to be leaving feedback along the lines of 'I had to change the strings, but that was it.'

16. Gfurman

Gfurman Active Member

Oscar Schmidt was another guitar in this market I considered. They too look very nice with good on-line reviews. Looks very similar to the FF 338 except they have bolt on necks. The 338's are glued.

At the end of the day the OS was twice the cost of the FF and I wanted cheap. Plus the FF had the added bonus of owning an internet sensation. Who would have ever thought 30 years ago we'd be buying quality guitars for this kind of money without visiting a store or even holding one first? I would definitely give the OS a try if you don't mind the extra cost. I really like the look of their quilted LP for $300.

By the way, all I had to replace on the FF was the strings (mostly because I didn't know what was installed and I wanted 9's) and the bridge due to buzzing. I replaced with a roller style Kmise from Amazon for only $10. So all told I only have $155 in this guitar. Some folks replace more components mostly because they just like doing it. To me it defeats the purpose of buying an inexpensive guitar.

fullonshred likes this.
  17. notme

notme Well-Known Member

The FF facebook group started out ok, but now its just a generic guitar rant group....augghh. I dont get why people post non title content?

18. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

From what I can tell the Grotes are a step up from the Firefly's but have not (and won't) have one in my hands to tell. But the Red and the poiple...nice. And they have the rounded horns and $250...good price for a semi 335.

19. Gfurman

Gfurman Active Member

Razzle, did your purple Grote come in yet?

20. Razzle

Razzle Well-Known Member

No! But it was shipped last Wednesday!