The Elusive Firefly

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by OMB, May 9, 2018.

1. adad

adad Well-Known Member

guitaro and nomadh like this.
  2. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

3. notme

notme Well-Known Member

I have yet to ever see one of these B listings, sold in minutes I assume.

Edit; i see them...for now. $86

adad likes this.

4. guitaro

guitaro Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Probably returns. Have to wonder why they were returned. Probably worth paying full price for peace of mind.

5. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

Plenty of documentation as to why they got returned.

I wouldn't pay full pop for the stuff I was seeing. Even so, at full price they were a bargain.

6. stewiesguitar

stewiesguitar Well-Known Member

where did you get the parts? i didnt see the post recommending anything.

7. Gfurman

Gfurman Active Member

Maybe you 338 owners have seen this already, but I noticed what appear to be hardshell cases designed exclusively for the 338 on Amazon. 02fe0b9e42706b196c6950a3aaf2a866.jpg 095eaec3be75066301f06a93e16eb6ed.jpg 05ae5a81661ad9ec58f898c18ad1bd67.jpg

mozz, Lamf77 and tonray like this.
  8. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Mickey likes this.
  9. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

i should get one i guess because i do like my 338 and take it with me sometimes... but i already have sooo many cases taking up space, i have a crappy cheap acoustic gig bag it fits in, and i have a weird mental block to spending 1/2 as much on a case as i did on the guitar..

psa: the cases are/were also listed on ebay.

tvvoodoo and Partscaster like this.
  10. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member

@voodoorat if the guitars are in the cases don't they take up just a few extra square inches? but if the gig bag works for you, you're good already. The cheap factor I understand as I'm choking on Rondo wanting $40 to ship the case for the sjm liquid. I understand it's oversized but double what an AL or case for an AL?

11. Cozmic3200

Cozmic3200 Member

I've had my lefty red Firefly for about 6 months now, and it's one of my faves.
    Out of the box (Amazon, $139) with new strings and setup, it played well but with a few issues.
    The pickups were very microphonic, the tuners were loosey-goosey, the guitar was neck heavy and the nut was cut wonky.
    On to the mods...
    I had a set of pickups that originally came in my AL3200 and installed them along with two push-pull coil split volume pots and chrome pickup rings.
    4e6c26d291b0bbeb2813d1918b475084._.jpg
    Made a huge difference... coil splitting introduces a bunch of new tones and the new pickups are not microphonic.
    Pickup problem solved.
    BTW, working on the controls through the F hole is NOT FUN and I think I invented some new curse words in the process:mad:

I was going to replace the tuners with some Grovers from the parts bin but didn't want to drill new screw mounting holes.
    Instead, I dismantled the tuners and used a brass wheel on the gears to take off the burrs and clean up the gear edges.
    I reassembled them with some gear grease and proper torquing, and they work much better.
    They were pretty bad, and cleaning them up made a big difference in tuning ability and stability.
    I also replaced the tuner buttons (metal=heavy) with plastic mother-of toilet seat buttons (plastic=light)
    Made a noticeable improvement in balance when strapped in.

At first I thought the nut was plastic, but after examination mine turned out to be bone (from the factory).
    I installed a compensated brass nut and a roller bridge from the parts bin, but the originals could have been tweaked to work fine.
    6ee3a1c51b716d49a66c952980d59a91._.jpg

I have about 18 guitars and basses, but only keep six in rotation in "the mancave".
    The Firefly always seems to be part of that six... I guess that says something...

The only future mods planned are a nicer truss rod cover and a quick fret job (from the factory they're pretty good, but I'm OCD).

DonM, toomanycats, SKYDAWG and 10 others like this.
  12. voodoorat

@Fat Jack i don't store any of my guitars in cases, they're all out either on stands (the cheaper ones mostly) or on the wall (the less cheap ones mostly). if i keep a guitar in a case it stays there and i never play it, so the only time they're cased is either when i've put them in cold storage for some reason or when they're actively going somewhere; so basically i've got all the cases stashed downstairs but they take up a lot of space. it means technically i don't need as many cases since i could use the same one for several guitars (unless i'm actually taking multiple guitars of the same shape with me somewhere). that's the theory anyway.

13. Gfurman

Gfurman Active Member

Wow, I've never heard of dismantling tuners. Good for you. I replaced mine with Gyker locking tuners. Dropped right in. The originals actually rattle when you shake them. Also replaced the bridge with Gotoh Tune-o-matic. May replace the pick-ups and wiring harness with something from GFS at some point. I had to do some fret leveling and polishing too. Also filed my nut slots and may have more work there. Problem is I don't have proper nut files, so used a thin hacksaw blade. I just can't pull the trigger on $80 for files. It's playing pretty good at this point, but I don't think the nut slots are smooth and flat. More like "v" shaped which probably isn't good.

So what is a "compensated" nut? And is brass better? How did you get the old nut out and install the new one?

14. voodoorat

If you're feeling cheap like me you can use a clipping of a wound string or a little piece of folded sandpaper (optionally wrapped around a string clipping), just go slow do you don't overdo it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tobijohn and Gfurman like this.
  15. jam

jam Well-Known Member

Somebody please warm me when the purple flame ones are back.

16. LongBlackTie

LongBlackTie Well-Known Member

If I would have gotten a 338 with as many problems as some of you it would have been returned. Mine was flawless (not to brag or anything, just damn lucky). I changed the strings and tuned it - that’s it. Pickups are not microphonic. It’s a cool little guitar but I don’t really play it. I’ve been playing my Cozart Explorer - absolutely love that guitar which was $220 including gigantic tweed explorer case.

17. Razzle

Razzle Well-Known Member

You and me both!

jam likes this.
  18. Gfurman

Gfurman Active Member

My pickups are not microphonic either, I may just do it for the experience of learning how and the fun of it. My tuners did not "need" replaced per se either, I just did it to make it a better guitar.

All it really needed was a bridge replacement, spot fret leveling, and a set-up which I learned to do all from YouTube videos. I am tinkering with the nut height too, but mostly for experiment because my notes were excessively sharp at the 1st fret, and it has mad a positive difference. Also, I actually inntonated to the 3rd fret instead of the 12th per a YT tutorial and that's turned out well also. I gained good intonation where I play open chords without forfeiting much at all at the 12th fret. Interesting.

It turns out I love working on little guitar projects, especially with so much help available on this forum and YouTube. And with a $140 guitar, I'm basically not afraid to try anything. If I screw up the nut, I'll just replace it.

That being said, I will probably not purchase another Firefly in a different style. I am just getting back into guitar after 25 years away, so this has been a fun opportunity to purchase one cheap and learn how to play again while doing some mods on an inexpensive guitar of pretty decent build quality.

I just noticed by the way there are some Tele style thin lines (FFTH) available today on Amazon, but I will pass. I was going to go to Harley Benton route for a Tele, but I think I'm going to grab a "Slick" Tele from GFS when they're back in stock even though I'm not a big "relic" fan and the headstock sucks. They are $90 more ($229) than FFTH but it seems like all the hardware and electronics including pickups are far better quality, so it shouldn't need any mods or upgrades. Seems like a lot of people change out the Roswell pickups on the HB.

19. adad

adad Well-Known Member

20. Gfurman

Gfurman Active Member

There are FF Tele's back up on Amazon too in several colors. Nothing new tho.