The Elusive Firefly

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by OMB, May 9, 2018.

1. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

They just found out there are good quality guitars coming out of china, cheap. Its a lot like watching puppies chase their own tails. Its so cute.

artandsoul likes this.
  2. mighty_duck

mighty_duck Well-Known Member

Not a firefly, but this came up in a search. Hard to find good Ric copies, and at $175 shipped from the US, it's almost impossible.
    ecd57065fadad1bc0c5326ff469d7421.jpg

3. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Well-Known Member

Ah c'mon! When are the ffth's coming?

4. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Like most of the MIC Rick copies, the horns aren't right, it's got a TOM bridge and probably routed mini-humbuckers instead of flush mounted ones (tough to tell from that angle). However, I've never seen one quite that inexpensive and if you do want a MIC Rick copy that is more authentic, be prepared to pay twice that much or more as well...

DonM likes this.
  5. Gfurman

Gfurman Active Member

Did they come and go already? Did I miss it or was the 16th fake news? I'm interested to see the new maple tops including pricing before they sell out.

nomadh likes this.
  6. notme

notme Well-Known Member

Delayed in recieving or something.

Im no longer going to post about news or shipments on this brand. The qc wheels have falled off the wagon. Sure, they have a great return policy but there have been some nasty excuses for instruments going out the door.
    Buy with caution.

7. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

The alleged story now is that the entire shipment was declined by amazon due to a "Non-conveyable missort". Supposedly they are working it out but it will take "a few days".

Having said that, they had a few small batches that came and went on Amazon yesterday - some green and Ice Tea in the AM, and a few more green mid-afternoon.

This is from one of the admins on the FB site.

"NEWS on the FF338's
    Delays are from Amazon receiving. They refused the shipment for Non Conveyable Missort. There is some paperwork needs to be fixed before they will offload it. This may take a few days. We will try to let you know any other news they pass our way. Get some rest folks."

8. uwmcscott

I have been waiting to give them one more chance as I still have an amazon credit from the last one I returned, but after seeing all the problems people are having I'm strongly considering just passing entirely. There are posts on the multiple FB groups of improperly cut fretboards, multiple loose frets, crooked headstocks, etc. Of the 2 I have ordered both had pretty serious flaws too. And seeing the one that was posted here with the rotten wood right in the middle of the neck joint makes me wonder how many of them have hidden issues like that.

The whole business model is really a joke too - all the info about the brand is provided second hand on Facebook by people who are given free guitars to maintain the FB group, and they regularly remove posts that shed negative light on the brand.

artandsoul likes this.
  9. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think I was lucky in that mine had no major flaws but it did require modding and fret work to make it right. For $139 I'm satisfied but I am able to do all the work myself where as lots of folks will need to take them to there local luthier which would raise the price quite a bit. now it seems they have gone into mass production and from all I've read the QC is not very good so I wont be buying another.

10. notme

notme Well-Known Member

Im with you guys. Mine is from august 2018 and has no real issues that ive found. The demand/production has skyrocketed and qc plummeted, it showed its ugly head with the dc/sc models. Its too bad....those burl tops that are coming look really good but i wouldnt bother now.
    My Douglas is a better built guitar overall id say, its not an agile but has an edge over my firewood.....er i mean firefly. ;)

11. uwmcscott

I will probably give it one more try on a 338 but if the third one is bad i'm done. I don't have a semi-hollow of any kind and that was the one model that really interested me. And at least since they are still using Amazon the return process is very simple and free if there are problems.

12. notme

notme Well-Known Member

Yup the return policy is a saving grace.

I dont like to rain on parades but i love my AGF brothers and friends dont let friends buy shit guitars....

uwmcscott likes this.
  13. notme

notme Well-Known Member

60 cycle hum did a comparison video between the 338 and harly benton. Its worth checking out.

artandsoul likes this.
  14. guitaro

guitaro Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'd say if you already bought 2 and had to return both then you probably shouldn't buy a 3rd with the idea ahead of time that you will likely return it. Amazon has been known to ban accounts for excessive returns and buying and returning the same item 3 times will definitely be a red flag. You know the old saying, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

notme likes this.
  15. uwmcscott

The idea would be to hopefully get a good one so I don't have to return it ;-) But I see what you are saying and duly noted.

guitaro likes this.
  16. Gfurman

Gfurman Active Member

I'd try another. Especially the maple tops if they look good. I have one from the end of May run. I did have to perform a few things like individual fret leveling and upgrade the bridge, but it was all worth it. And I learned how to do that stuff in the process.

It's an easy playing, nice looking and sounding guitar. I'd like to lower the action a bit more so I'm gonna sand down frets 12 on up and recrown them using a technique I saw on YT.

Regarding Amazon returns, I can't imagine anyone returns more stuff than my family. But we buy a lot from them too. They aren't losing.

17. uwmcscott

I would add that i'm fully expecting work to need to be done and possibly some hardware changes. Both of the first 2 that I ordered had garbage tuners, but I expected that. Neither of them had the buzzy bridge like some have reported, but I actually have all the parts I will need in my bin if any of those things need to be replaced. I'm also fully expecting some minor finish flaws in the paint/binding etc and I would not return because of that. The first one had tuners that were drilled way off-center and the inside of the body looked like a glue-bomb had gone off all over it. The second one had about a 4-5 inch long indentation in the top right on the upper bout. In both cases even the folks over on FB suggested a return - so I don't think that i'm being overly picky. I fully understand it's a cheap guitar.

guitaro likes this.
  18. artandsoul

artandsoul Well-Known Member

The facebook cult said there was a ton of them this go around for amazon sales and they wont sell out in 5 minutes like before.
    If its your 1st time buying one I would just wait for the ebay b stocks to pop up in 2 weeks and save some money for the mods your going to want anyway. People are happy with them stock somehow lol but id rather buy the 109.00 b stock on ebay to mod. It can be returned as easily on ebay as amazon if needed.

nomadh likes this.
  19. guitaro

guitaro Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm kind of temped by the 100 dollar ones that pop up on EBay. Sounds like they are no more defective than the new ones and you save 50 bucks you can use toward upgrades.

uwmcscott and artandsoul like this.
  20. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

the photo of the spalted is tempting to me, but what am i gonna do with another one of these things even if i get another good one? i have a fair number of similar (to each other) guitars but none (well, just one and that was as a result of a trade i couldn't turn down) that are identical except the finish... i guess it's low risk since worst case i'd just have to send it back, but on the other hand i like the one i have. i think i'll quit while i'm ahead. the ttfh is fine but nothing that special imo.

Gfurman likes this.