The Guitar World According To Steve Stevens

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by blowtorch, Sep 5, 2018.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Well-Known Member

jtcnj and Gergo like this.
  2. blowtorch

Was in the mood to hear this again this morning. Steve Stevens is a monster

Jaymo and Sinster like this.
  3. Pilipete_Townshend

Pilipete_Townshend Active Member

He definitely has a unique tone. He still plays out a lot with Billy Idol and some other bands.

Jaymo and blowtorch like this.

4. blowtorch

He can do it all, flamenco, jazz stuff, classical, bluegrass, funk, cyberpunk...and he shows it all on that recording. I wish there was a simple youtube link to it

Jaymo and Pilipete_Townshend like this.
  5. Gergo

Gergo Well-Known Member

Thats killer man. I have always loved his playing. He is a monster....for sure

Jaymo and blowtorch like this.
  6. Pilipete_Townshend

There's a lot of stuffs that he covered in his tours and clinics on how he got his sound. I learned a lot from that that guy. I might have a copy of that in my 80's guitar magazines Ill give you a copy when I find it. I also have an article on guitar magazine in the early 80's. There was a page about the rising star Randy Rhoads. On the mid page it says. "Who's better Eddie or Randy?"

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    fullonshred likes this.
  7. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

This thread sat idle for over a year? Wow.

Loved SS style bitd. I haven't checked him out in awhile.

Do you need me to ask to post your Roland @blowtorch? It IS a Steve Stevens thread.

8. blowtorch

Unfortunately, the only pic I have of that awesome piece of machinery is on photobucket, so unuseable.
    I really need to liberate my pics out of that sh*thole

idiotsdelight likes this.
  9. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

He's billy idols guy back then right? I hated mtv and all the hair metal but Idol usually got a pass from me for some reason. Its good playing and I suspect more organic. Maybe he kept the 80's digital crap to a minimum. Hey look at me maybe my ears dont suck :)

Jaymo likes this.
  10. Jaymo

Jaymo Well-Known Member

I've never made any bones about the fact that Steve Stevens is one of my all-time favorite guitarists.
    "Atomic Playboys" was and is a fantastic album that had something for everyone, and didn't get nearly enough attention.
    Prove me wrong.

11. Pilipete_Townshend

This subject is interesting and it involves success and talent too.
    About the atomic playboy that's actually true didn't really made a mark. No doubt he's got popularity too + his net worth wrote his name in the sky.
    I think its got a lot to do with the top gun movie.
    Remember the story? They ask Bryan Adams to write and produce the song for that movie. He turned it down and Kenny Logins got the lifetime royalty with all the music artist in it including Steve Stevens. While he got the Sh.a.t.
    Sometimes I wonder too like Rik Emmett from Triumph. Deadly guitar player, great songwriter, great singing voice and stage presence. He's not in the hall of fame???:hearteyecat:

Jaymo likes this.
  12. redman

redman Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I never paid much attention to any of the hairbands/glitter rock and such I guess I missed a lot. I had threw up through the disco era and thought that all that make-up and hairspray in the 80's was an extension of it and never gave it a fair shake an really only paid attention to some of the indie rock during that time.

jam likes this.
  13. Pilipete_Townshend

... okay i'll remember that. I think its time for me to lose some of my acts on stage.:hearteyecat:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    jam likes this.
  14. redman

redman Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

That's hilarious!!

Let me expound a bit on my earlier post I don't want to leave the wrong idea about what I was saying. There was a lot of great music came from those days admittedly not all to my taste but then none of us like exactly the same thing if we did it would be a dull life. No I had just came through the 70's full steam ahead having spent the decade absorbing what I consider some the best music ever and playing it every where we could get our foot in the door partying every night. When the disco thing kicked the door open there was not as many venues to play and what were left didn't want to pay shit because the DJ's were cheap and the disco was on a record.
    When I opened up my eyes in 81 I found myself with 2 daughters one 6 months old and one almost 3 as well as a 5 year old step-son whose real father was dead. And for the icing on the cake a coke-head wife who walked off one day and we didn't see her again for 9 years. Anyway I despise disco and all I saw was the glitter of the 80's coming in and not able to play in a band anymore because of the kids I bailed out so I literally did not pay any attention to the music of that decade. The next band I was in was in 89 a trio deal myself a bass player and a drummer.
    Anyway I'm not trying to bash any style of music except disco I do hate that shit with a passion.

15. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

My personal Steve Stevens Story:

Once upon a time, back around 1990, I worked at a sorta famous club in NYC's West Village called The Bottom Line. I got to watch fantastic artists while on the job, including Larry Carlton, Wendy & Lisa, Vital Information, and many more. One night at work, and if I remember correctly Tower of Power was playing, I was told to go back to the dressing room and tell this guy "Steve" who was going to sit in with the band that it was time to come out. I wasn't exactly sure who they meant when I went back there. To my astonishment there was Steve Stevens standing in front of the mirror with his guitar strapped on, looking at himself and making his best pursed lips duck face. He was wearing the leather outfit with all the buckles, had the full on drag queen make-up, with his hair sticking straight up like eighteen inches high. Jesus, he looked exactly like he did on MTV! This guy was a 24/7 rock star! I probably said something like, "Steve, it's time to go on," though I don't remember exactly. It was a little awkward. Anyways, that's my Steve Stevens story.

As far as guitar, the dude kicks ass. He kills it on Billy Idol's "Eyes Without a Face" and also on that Atomic Playboys album.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    jam, Jaymo, andrewsrea and 3 others like this.
  16. Pilipete_Townshend

..... You what? Don't worry I threw away all of my elevator shoes for good :hearteyecat:.
    Hey I'm just kidding on the previous response. Amen.., that was a good post and thanks for sharing.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    redman likes this.
  17. Pilipete_Townshend

I met him on west LA studio. One of the coolest guys in the business. He'll share with you whatever he help you with. If you notice his guitars and amps are direct and simple. That's besides his "Raygun". But for the JCM800 sound he's probably on the top 5 that nails it.

blowtorch and andrewsrea like this.
  18. Pilipete_Townshend

Let's spice it up!!! Steve_stevens_Marshall.jpg

blowtorch and DonM like this.
  19. golem

golem Well-Known Member

I wanted to see if I could figure out how to post a direct link to SoundCloud:

blowtorch likes this.
  20. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

I think the early Billy Idol defies categorization a bit. A lot of influences there and a lot of Steve Stevens. I personally like the first couple of the Billy Idol albums. Then again, Gen X was cool too.

Yeah, I had my punk phase. If you don't like it - I don't care! ;)

jam, blowtorch and Jaymo like this.