The Kid Took Some Initiative

Discussion in 'Project Depot' started by BrianSkeezer, May 23, 2020 at 6:56 PM.

1. BrianSkeezer

BrianSkeezer Well-Known Member

New Project Day! Last week, while cleaning out my shed where we keep my mowers, and of course some tools (router table, drill press, bench grinder, belt sander, band saw, etc), my 13 year old son saw the extra plywood body blanks that I made a few years ago when making my own body. He asked "Can we make me a Telecaster?"
    "You can build you a Telecaster while I supervise if you want, but you have to come up with a plan first" I said. That night, he came to me with a picture of a Fender Special Edition carved-top set-neck Telecaster in Black Cherry with dual humbuckers. "I want it to look like this" he said.
    [​IMG]

"But I want the normal bridge and pickups, and I want the different pickguard ('69 Thinline)." So, we ordered some parts, and are still waiting on some. Today, we went out to the shed and started on the body. I forgot to start taking pictures from the very beginning, but remembered shortly thereafter, so it started off a little into it. He's kinda short, so it really looks like he's too young to be doing this, but he's worked around power tools with me for a while now. On to the pics.
    lbs guitar6.jpg lbs guitar10.jpg lbs guitar12.jpg lbs guitar16.jpg lbs guitar19.jpg lbs guitar22.jpg lbs guitar24.jpg
    Before anyone says it, I know the grain orientation isn't conventional, but that's how it fit. It'll obviously be a solid color, he wants it to be a metallic red burst, with the sides and back black. It'll be a bolt-on neck instead of set neck, black hardware, black painted maple neck with a rosewood fretboard, black headstock. More to come......

stevebway, Believer, STACKS and 17 others like this.
  2. BrianSkeezer

Little boy build bump

3. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Are you going to make him wind his own pickups too ?

BrianSkeezer likes this.

4. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

So that's going to be a plywood body? Could get heavy fast.

BrianSkeezer likes this.
  5. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Well Dad ca solve the weight issue by making sure he's Well-Hung. Good to see initiative at his age and I'm sure he'll enjoy it for quite awhile.

Jaymo and BrianSkeezer like this.
  6. BrianSkeezer

I wish I could wind my own sometimes. We ordered a set.

My Strat body that I made seemed heavy to me at first, then I got the Agile, Dillion Mosrite copy, and a Harley Benton TE52, all of which are at least 10 pounds. I think my Strat is 9-1/2. I did ask him if he wanted to do the comfort carves, and he said no. I could have him route a good amount of material from under the pickguard, but it should be ok.

I was actually thinking the same thing, except I know he wouldn't appreciate how awesome those straps are. He's got a pretty nice soft leather 3" strap that isn't seeing any use, so he'll use that. I'm hoping that he appreciates the work that goes into the guitar. When he was routing the shape, he stopped about halfway through and told me his arms were getting tired. :LOL: I know he didn't think it was going to be as much work as it is. Proud Dad here, though!

7. Daniel Butler

Daniel Butler Member

You will never regret this memory you are creating with your son. They grow up too fast.

stevebway, Believer, jtcnj and 3 others like this.
  8. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

You win happiest dad of the day. I know I would be. Hopefully happiest kid day too :)

Believer and BrianSkeezer like this.
  9. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

With the grain like that the sound will all run out the sides instead of out the end and down the cord and into the amp.

Seriously though, I love the tele he picked out and I think it is cool that he wants to (and is) doing this, and that the two of you are working on it together. That last part is the best part. I hope you both have loads of fun and that he is happy with and proud of his guitar when he is done.

Now.... What he play like?? :D

BrianSkeezer likes this.
  10. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That's real special. I have a great son, 36 yo, and we work together every day as consulting engineers, but I never managed to engage him in a project like that, primarily because I have neither the woodworking skills nor the tools to teach him anything that cool.

I've got a 80's MIK Squire Strat with a plywood body - the weight is not a problem and it sounds great.

BrianSkeezer likes this.
  11. ronnx

ronnx Well-Known Member

Well done Brian. I wish I had have my two sons involved with projects like this. (y)

BrianSkeezer likes this.
  12. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

Very cool! He looks really into it. I wanted so badly to build a Tele with my son. He was into the idea when I brought it up but we both put it off mentally and then just like that he was 19 and moving 900 miles away. :cry:

I should have thought to do it when he was younger. Maybe I'll build one with one of my grandsons someday.

jtcnj and BrianSkeezer like this.
  13. DonM

DonM Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member

Nice work!

BrianSkeezer likes this.
  14. BrianSkeezer

LOL! He's getting there. He pulls on the strings when fretting chords and everything sounds out of tune, but he'll get it at some point. He's always trying to play AC/DC stuff.

jtcnj and fullonshred like this.
  15. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    This is great, makes my day.
    Maybe you have another Brian May in the making?

BrianSkeezer likes this.